[Ancients] Dang...It's about time.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by vlaha, Jan 14, 2014.

1. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Well boys and girls it's time to celebrate. I bought my first ancient!

So here it is, I just won it yesterday, and it's expected on the 17. I couldn't wait receive it so I'm posting the seller's pictures.

Philip I Tetradracham Yr 1= 244 Ad

Rev. Tyche standing cornucopia in left hand.

Philip1.1 obv.JPG
    Philip1.1 rev.JPG

Research using Milne is yet to come!

RaceBannon, Eng, jolumoga and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coin for a first buy.

4. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

nice starter.......

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's very nice but...what about the Tet in your sig? You've been flashing that around for a while. I thought that was your first ancient.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice. I looked at one similar lately, but it was Macrinus. In fact I bid on it, but my bid was too low by $6. Oh well, I'm still on the wagon but I'm trying to get off.

7. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Nope, this is my first ancient that I've bought. My avatar isn't even the first one I've received, that honer goes to this baby:

Carus

tet.jpg

tet rev.jpg

randygeki, John Anthony and stevex6 like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes:

Nice pick-up ... it has an interesting colour (neat eye-appeal)

=> I really like the Tyche reverse

congrats!!

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I foresee that vlaha will become and expert on Alexandrian tets :)

Hopefully there will be a scholarly book in the future and we can say I knew him (her?) when...

10. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Wish i could go back and buy my first again!! That way I'd save a hell a lot of money on all the crap I've bought over the years, before I got my eye in!!

11. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Him. Although if my conversion effort goes well, coin talk will have another female member, the second of two people (WC was the other) who inspired to collect ancients.

That book idea sound fun too. Perhaps an updated and illustrated edition of Milne?

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh, ok...i thought "there's no way that your first ancient". i saw that one and thought about going for it, even though i'm on the wagon. glad it went to a good home. nice tet!

stupid wagon.

13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats! I'm not a fan of the later Alexandria tets but that looks like a nice first buy. Well centered, clear legends, good reverse and even a rather stately portrait.

14. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Thank you for not, my max bid was only a dollar higher than the sale price.:rolleyes:

Thanks, although the nose doesn’t help his stateliness.

What a shnoz'!:D

15. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Update: I received the coin today and I feel that the seller deserves full credit, fast service and it's even better in hand!

Unfortunately my dad forgot to bring home his camera from work, so you will be left picture less until tomorrow.

Cheers!:)

16. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Dad? How old are you to be able to buy such nice Tets??...........You are either in your thirties and your parents have not kicked you out yet, or you get too much pocket money!:D

17. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Ha! 14 my friend, I mow lawns, so this is the last coin I will be buying in a long, long time. I.E. until mowing season.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

14!? man, i have two shirts in my closet older than that. lol!

well, you must be a mature young man, i assumed you were much older.

glad you got your coin, it's a nice one!

19. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

With patience and skill, you can get a decent Probus tet for $30-$50.

Or, you could meet a girl with a nice set of tets. If you're nice, she might let you look at them!

stevex6, zumbly, Bing and 1 other person like this.
  20. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I am so very tempted to Photoshop something at the moment, but I like this forum and wish to remain.

21. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I figured you were young but not that young! I'm also one of the younger ones here: 22 soon. Its good though that you started collecting so early.

Draft saved Draft deleted