Ancients: CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Aug 5, 2014.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

This isn't a new coin, but a new photograph coupled with an interpretation of the reverse design I discovered in a numismatic tract called "Constantine's Dafne Coinage at Constantinople," by R. S. Speck and Stephen M. Huston (1992). The authors of this booklet place these coins in their historical context and analyze the varieties quite thoroughly, giving the reader much more information than available in RIC. (I picked this up in the FORVM store for a mere $7, and I believe it's a must-have for anyone interested in Constantinian coinage.)

010.JPG
    I recently read Valentinian's page concerning Christian symbolism on Roman coins, found here, and discovered a fascinating type (RIC Constantinople 19), with a chi-rho topping a standard, planted in a serpent. The Christian symbolism in this design seems apparent to me. What was not apparent to me, until I read this analysis, was that the Dafne reverse type also evinces an overtly anti-pagan, pro-Christian message.

Anyone even slightly familiar with Roman coin designs would have to ask, "Why should Daphne appear on a coin?" She is a very minor figure in Greek mythology, a Naiad, a nymph associated with bodies of freshwater. Her only claim to fame is that she resolutely rejected the advances of Apollo. But therein lies her importance on these coins.

Apollo and Dafne.JPG
    Apollo and Dafne by Baroque sculptor Gian Lorenzo Barnini, source: Galeria Borghese.

When Constantine first began rebuilding Byzantium in 326, as a memorial to his victories, there was no intention of moving the Roman capitol. Constantinople was simply rebuilt within its old, Severan walls. But by 328, the project was extended to eight times the size of the older city. Constantine systematically stripped Roman temples of their valuables and used them to adorn the new Christian city. In this context of anti-paganism, the representation of Daphne makes much more sense.

"The coinage of this mint with CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE reverse was produced as the exclusive type for Constantine at this mint for more than the last two years before the city's dedication, but it was never produced elsewhere. Its special significance was admirably demonstrated by McGregor (SAN 1984) in his article Constantiniana Dafne - a different point of view. McGregor set out the religious significance of this reverse type - portraying Constantine as Dafne, turning away from the symbols of the pagan religion (Apollo and Sol) toward the palm, the symbol of Christianity." (Speck, Huston)

These coins were only minted in Constantinopolis, and as such, constitute a local city issue. There are plenty of Roman provincial coins that were only meant to circulate locally, but are there any other instances of an imperial city coin?
    At any rate, it's one of the most beautiful and complex reverse types among LRB's, so let's see yours. :)

Constantine I, 272-337
    AE Follis: 19mm, 2.62g, 6h; Constantinople Mint: 328
    Obv: CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG; Rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: CONSTANTINIANA DAFNE; Dafne as Victory standing left on cippus holding palm branches, looking right, trophy in front, kneeling captive / A // CONS
    Reference: RIC VII, Constantinople 35 (p. 574) R3

dafne.jpg

eddiespin, Okidoki, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Ive wanted an example but either lack of $ or something else kicks it out of the way for something else. The prices seem to be everywhere too.

Nice writeup though. It is one of my favorite reverse types of this era.

John Anthony likes this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Seven diadem variations occur on these coins, minted in seven officinae at the Constantinople mint, in addition to the fact that the mint mark CONS is sometimes followed by a dot. So you've got a theoretical 56 varieties, at least. There also exist the "eyes to heaven" portraits. Some of these varieties are seemingly quite rare, which would account for the disparity in prices. My coin is one of the most common, if you can call any of them common.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Ive seen other posts here or forvm regarding the different diadem types and of course ive seen the eyes to heaven. I would be content with any type of the reverse. I could afford one now but, as usual, have something else in my sights. More like an upgrade to a filler I have now.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Excellent reverse type. Another for the wish list!

John Anthony likes this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great new addition, JA ... and very cool statue (plus, the sweet write-up and the neat looking booklet) ...

=> keep-up the good work, Champ!!

John Anthony likes this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

This one came in an uncleaned lot when I first got into ancients. Thankfully I never finished cleaning it -_-

cns31.JPG

zumbly, chrsmat71, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yah, I love finding other Star Trek fans (cheers)

Broucheion and TIF like this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! I would've missed this thread if not for Steve giving it a Spockbump. Interesting coin and great write up, JA. And now I want one too.

12. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

wow nice coin but the pictures u make, very nice work :)appl
    i mostly use pics from seller

Draft saved Draft deleted