ANCIENTS - Constantine the Great - two new AE3s

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Sep 14, 2013.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I really have a soft spot for nice grade late Roman bonzes. I can't seem to walk past despite having told myself not to buy any more of them.

These two arrived this morning. I think they are quite pleasing.

Constantine the Great - Ae3
    Obv:- IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG, Laureate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:- SOLI INVICTO COMITI, Sol standing left, holding right hand high in salute and globe, chlamys spread over both shoulders.
    Minted in Trier (T | F / BTR)
    Reference:- RIC VII Trier 132

[​IMG]

Constantine the Great - Ae3
    Obv:- CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, Laureate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:- SOLI INVICTO COMITI, Sol standing left, holding right hand high in salute and globe,.
    Minted in Trier (F | T / .ATR)
    Reference:- RIC VII Trier 162 (R4).

[​IMG]

Martin

chrsmat71, Eng, Ripley and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow => super sweet looking new coins, Martin!!

... sadly, my Constantine I is a very average campgate (I must try and find one as pretty as either of these two show-ponies!!)

=> congrats!! (very eye-appealing)

:eek::eek:

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I agree. It's hard to not be interested in coins that look this nice.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Great coins! Of course now someone (me, actually) will ask you to explain TF and FT, the double and single capes, the dots or not in the mintmarks, obverse legends and which let Sol rests his weight upon. Some people will ask why you might want two coins that are alike. Some of us will wonder at how different they are.

I'll show two different from yours in the assortment of minor points. Yours are nicer! rx4620bb1403.jpg rx4622bb2799.jpg

chrsmat71, Ripley, randygeki and 4 others like this.
  6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Doug,
    Some tough questions.

The T F and the F T are used to differentiate the issues by field marks. The T F issue however is used in two consecutive issues. The first T F issues has ATR and BTR in exe and with both officina the cape is draped over a single shoulder. The mint re-uses the T F for a second issue and here officine 1 has a dot before the ATR and officina 2 has the drapes over both shoulders. The F T issue follows and the dot is maintained for issue 1 but the drapes return to a single shoulder for officina B.

Now the big question for me is WHY? This seems overly complex but they must have had reasons for shoosing such a complex system rather than using more letters etc.

There has been much speculation on the use of T F and F T with theories such as T F standing for TEMPORVM FELICITAS and F T standing for FELICITAS TEMPOR. These discussions are for from reaching any solid conclusion.

Martin

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice. I have a hard time passing these up too.
    00_023.JPG

Windchild, chrsmat71, Eng and 4 others like this.
  8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

It seems to me that the ancients knew the world was round not flat. They loved to depict the emperor holding a globe. :confused:

doucet likes this.
  9. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Oh yes, they certainly did. They even calculated the circumference of the globe with reasonable accuracy. This information was only really lost to non-scholars during the medieval time, Christopher Columbus knew the earth was not flat as did the Crown that paid for his trip.

10. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Martin, awesome coins once again, very nice...

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Well... globe may not mean 'round ball with pictures of continents', it may just mean 'a spherical or rounded object'.

12. doucet

doucet Well-Known Member

13. doucet

doucet Well-Known Member

As always, nice coins maridvnvm and everyone else as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted