Ancients collectors' ages

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, May 23, 2016.

?

Your age

Poll closed Jun 1, 2016.
  1. 11-20

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. 21-30

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. 31-40

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  4. 41-50

14 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. 51-60

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  6. 61-70

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. 71-80

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. 81-90

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 91-100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 101 and older

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Sounds like an obsession. OCD maybe?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Kleptomania...

:) no, just joking. Purely a need for a cheap pen, then ... Oops... How come I have so many?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I am the ripe old age of 19. Just finished my first yeat at Georgia Tech. :)

Loong Siew and Theodosius like this.
  5. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

44 next month. I'd give anything to be 18 and have the chance to make all the same mistakes again!!!

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I would certainly not. The 20-30 decade has been quite a pain, the 30-40 has been great, the 40-50 even more, with kids growing up and in their "teen" themselves (a pure gift). The 50-60 started quite well too, I expect it to finish the same.

From my experience every decade is much better than the previous one, hence I'm looking forward to being 80 YO :)))

Optimistic Q

Carthago, Alegandron, Prokles and 2 others like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I would love to go back to my 0-10 decade => everything was new and possible

... sure, "spankings" were a bit of a downside (but most were probably deserved)

8. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@> Steve
    Come live in Australia, Steve. Against the law to 'spank'. Therefore no 'downside'.

I am with you, my friend. 0-10 great, 10 - 20 School - Yuk, 20 -30 Girls and the '60's so can't remember much, 60 - 70 Great, BUT WHERE DID 30 - 60 GO? I missed it.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  9. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I am not as old as many of you here, but I would give anything to go back to a time before the cell phone and email. I can remember it!
    [​IMG]

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Go pop a wheelie Anoob.

11. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Any day of the week home-slice.

12. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Things were much more peaceful then but remember how hard it was to find rare books and information if you did not live in a major city?

Eric Kondratieff and Alegandron like this.
  13. Alegandron

Lol, doing your homework was guesswork! :D

Theodosius and Eric Kondratieff like this.
  14. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

age curve.jpg

I like reading things this way. I can see the distribution curve easier.

I have thoughts on why it looks this way........and I think it might actually be a perfect example of distribution, despite being a small sample size.

There is no even distribution (flat-line), there is no standard distribution (a bell curve of some form) because it is missing its right side (few respondents) There is no straight line equation to fit the data without a lot of variance.

Anyone have ideas on why it may look this way but still be accurate?

You can't just put data out there and not try to make sense of it......right?

stevex6 likes this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Despite the small sample size, I have an observation about the graph:

The left side is probably over-representative and the right side under-representative of the true distribution of all ancient coin collectors. Why? This poll was responded to by computer users. The oldest collectors are less likely to use computer social media, and the younger users more likely.

In general, I'd expect the largest group of collectors to be in the 50 and up ages because we have fewer family obligations and more disposable income. Generalizing, but probably true.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  16. Alegandron

My thoughts exactly.

Topcat7 and 4to2centBC like this.
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I agree ... but man, those dudes over 100 years old are helping to bring-up the overall average age!! (good for those two ol' buggers, eh?)

emoticon old guy.gif emoticon old guy.gif

Cheers

18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Never thought I'd look forward to growing older, but yes, that's a definite upside.

19. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Based on the stats here people stop collecting after the age of 80 and don't pick it up again until after they turn 100...:happy:

stevex6 likes this.
  20. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

How_to_Lie_with_Statistics.jpg
    One of my favourites. I have referred to this in class for years.

TypeCoin971793 and Carthago like this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I know a couple collectors in their 90's and one of my favorite dealers is mid-80's working shows about 40 weekends a years. You are what you do. The question is when you decide you are too old to collect anymore. Being blind would make the hobby quite different. Being able to look at coin photos on a 60" screen might help as you get worse. When I was 50, I could ID an Eastern Septimius denarius from 20 feet. Now it is more like 10. I may as well change over to Aes Grave.

Draft saved Draft deleted