Ancients - Bull and horseman jitals have arrived!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by YOC, Mar 27, 2014.

1. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I got a bit carried away and bought a few of these....I liked something different about each one. Varied from the clarity of legend, horse, bull, horseman etc.....
    Feel free to rate them in order of preference....top is coin 1
    I think all are Spalapati or Samanta deva jitals of the Shahi kings, but I am hoping Doug will spring forth and give me a hand with attribution..?? pretty please....:rolleyes:
    silver 1.jpg silver 2.jpg silver 3.jpg silver 4.jpg silver 5.jpg
    For anyone interested in quick photo editing, ie side by side as above, I have just used a free programme called picmonkey...its really easy and quick to use. Give it a try.:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

cool additions ...

I don't have any examples to add (man, I need to buy more coins!!)

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice examples!

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

one of these is on my list for sure. i think i like number 2 the best, seems the best centered...that's hard to find on these.

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I like these coins as well. I picked one up this month...

Nezak Huns, Spalapati Deva
    AR Jital, AD 750-850
    Obv.: Horseman right holding lance.
    Rev.: Bull left, Sarada script.
    Reference: Tye 5.

jital.jpg

stevex6, vlaha and Gil-galad like this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Lesson one: Samanta Deva has characters over the hump of the bull that looks like H4 (open top 4). Spalapati Deva has the H but the next two characters remind me of old fashion can openers (few of you ever used one) with sharp prongs pointing down.
    [​IMG]
    JA's coin is a fine example of this. The next to last of YOC's set is one as well but it is not as clear. These are further classified by the letter left of the horseman. JA's coin is off center and loses this but I believe his Tye 5 ID is correct. The letter on the YOC Spalapati looks like a Tye 7 but it could be clearer.
    [​IMG]

Samanta Deva are the most common type. YOC's first, second and fifth are Tye 14. I believe his third is a Tye 21 but I do not have one of those.
    [​IMG]
    There are some other less common ones but none made this group.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    stevex6, YOC, vlaha and 1 other person like this.
  8. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

To complete the Shahi trio: here the less common "Sri Khudarayaka" type (Tye 22)
    KhudarayakaWeb.jpg

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

In addition to Doug's informative page, there's a very fine paper on the coinage of the Nezak Huns, link below. You've got to be a member of academia.edu to download it, but joining is free and easy. It's one of the best places to stay current on new numismatic scholarship...

https://www.academia.edu/880242/Coinage_of_the_Nezak

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  10. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug, I see what you mean about the old style can opener.....I will try and learn more about these.....apparently they came from a 300 strong hoard found in Afghanistan, many are on ebay at the moment....

11. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Doug, can these be put into further sub groups by the letter/symbol above the horses head in addition to the symbol behind the horseman.......one symbol looks like a small angel flying.?

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Much of that is what is covered by my page but you really need the Tye book to get them all.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This thread is a bit old but I have little additional to say so I will revive it. My new coin is a Tye 2 Spalapati Deva from the period before the weight reduction. It weighs 4.24g; Tye suggests 4.3g but mine is at least that worn. The legends at the right of the horseman do not strike me as matching any of the Tye drawings perfectly (all are poor coins like mine) but Deyell 17c looks closer. Mine has a bit more clarity in the letters left of the rider's head but I do not know what they are. These are rare coins from what I have seen. This was the first over 4g coin I have seen offered since I developed the interest in the things. I still need a Tye 1. Early coins have a bit more relief to the bull than the ones after the weight change which have more relief than the late ones until we get the Samanta Deva issues that are pretty much line drawings. Ugly? Maybe but it is nicer than the bulk I have seen from even the later Spalapati Deva period. I would love to see any over 4g bull/horseman jitals anyone sees or owns.
    os6300bb3162.jpg

stevex6 and John Anthony like this.
  14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beautiful addition Doug. I still need a type too. Prefer the older then the common ones but as usual, in time.

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I would love to see one of these in mint state well struck on a large flan but I am pretty sure they did not make any of those.

Draft saved Draft deleted