Ancients => Bargain Maxentius with $$weet Horse-Reverse

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, May 29, 2015.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Well, I guess one man's bargain is another man's frivolous, eh Bing and Doug?

... anyway ...

I thought this was a sweet pick-up for $36 US (delivered to Northern Manitoba)

NOTE: One large pizza costs slightly more than this cool ancient-purchase!! (amazing, yes?)

:cool:

As you dudes probably know => I love coins with animals on 'em, so I've always loved this reverse-style!! ... I hope you enjoy them ...

Maxentius AE Follis
    (Ostia mint)
    Date: 309 AD
    Diameter: 24.3 mm
    Weight: 6.2 grams
    Obverse: IMP C MAXENTIUS P F AVG - Laureate head of Maxentius
    Reverse: AETERNITAS AVG N - The Dioscuri, facing each other, holding scepters and horses by bridles. MOSTS in exergue
    References: RIC 35

Maxentius AE Follis aa.jpg Maxentius AE Follis bb.jpg

... sure, this baby may not be of the highest grade, but still pretty good lookin' (for the price) ... it has a minor flan flaw, but not that much wear and some silver-highlighting still remains (I love it)

:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    dlhill132, Gil-galad, WDF and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Looks nice to me!

stevex6 likes this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Welcome, Fitz => thanks for the nod, my new coin-friend

5. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

That is just such a great coin, love it.

stevex6 likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Grade, smade. Who cares. It's sill a nice coin and a good price. This proves you don't have to break the bank to buy new and beautiful coins. But one thing I don't understand. What kind of pizza do you get in Manitoba for that kind of price? Wow. That's three good pizzas down here. Maybe two up North in Chicago.

WDF, Craig Z and stevex6 like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

yah, I guess you're right (I was talkin' Canadian dollars => that's kinda like one billion dollars)

;)

8. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

I like this coin, Great horses Good job:)

stevex6 likes this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's not even CNG Wednesday! Aren't you deviating from the schedule, coinbro? :D Nice scores today.

stevex6 and Bing like this.
  10. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Hmm, which would you choose? Pizza or coin? :D
    Nice one Steve.

stevex6 likes this.
  11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Steve, as you seem to appreciate animals, you can have the same dude with the same horses....plus the wolf

[​IMG]
    Maxentius, Follis Ostia mint, 3rd officina AD 309
    IMP C MAXENTIVS PF AVG, Laureate head of Maxentius right
    AET ERNITAS AVGN, Dioscuri facing each other, holding their horse by bridle. Between them she wolf suckling Remus and Romulus. MOSTΓ at exergue
    7.43 gr
    Ref : Cohen # 10, RCV # 14976 (100), RIC VI # 16

Q

dlhill132, Gil-galad, WDF and 9 others like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I like the coin. As usual, mine have more wear.

rx4210bb1761.jpg rx4235bb3127.jpg

Anyone notice that the four coins shown so far have officinae A, S, gamma, and Q mixing the two series for 1, 2, 3 and 4. We need a wolf B(2) and delta(4) and a plain P(1) and T(3). Why they changed the way the shops were noted, I do not know. Below is the plain T(3). Who has the other three to share? The Greek number series also come without wolf but I don't have one.
    rx4230bb0781.jpg

I know, nobody cares about workshop letters.

dlhill132, Gil-galad, WDF and 8 others like this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

wow fellas, I must admit that I do like the wolf thrown-in for extra bonus-points ... but sadly, that was not the coin that was available for the sweet $36 deal, so I chose "bird-in-hand"

... great coins!! (please keep your Maxentius examples coming!!)

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh, here is my other Maxentius example ...

man, I love this coin ...

=> oh, and it does happen to have the sweet wolf & twins thrown-in for style points!! (look in the rafters, my coin-friends)

:woot:

maxentius.jpg

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yah, I think it's funny when we compare the three examples ...

Although I probably like cucumbor's example the best, where are the twins' "hands"? (see below) ... they seem to have stubs, rather than hands?

02.jpg

... my example has primitive claw-hands (below) ...

Maxentius AE Follis too.jpg

... oh, and Doug's example seems to have the fist-pump goin' on?!! (below)

03.jpg

Man, I love ancient coins (each example is 100% unique)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice score, Steve. I'd so pick up one of these if it drifted by for the right price... and yeah, $36 is definitely the right price!

The only Maxentius with animal I have is this one from Carthage. There's supposed to be a lion here somewhere. And some other animal parts (elephant's tusk, bull's head and elephant skin headdress).

image.jpg

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> ummm look, that must be a wee lil' lion wearing and elephant head-dress at the feet? (cool)

;)

zumbly likes this.
  18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Good choice Steve - I was looking at that coin myself. I like all the coins of this thread, just don't have any examples to share.

Mikey Zee and stevex6 like this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

One coin that I would love to upgrade is this Ostia half follis (AE2). RIC says they are common but I have not seen many greatly nicer than mine and none in my price range. Who has one?

rx4220bb1839.jpg

There are a few super rare and desirable types of Maxentius. Two of them are now on VCoins. One is nice but way over my price range ($5k) while the other is way under my condition desires (means it is really bad). There is an exceptional wolf added coin with flaws that almost made me order it but I resisted. The style was very odd and I do not know if it is something I want or want to avoid. If anyone ants to carry on discussion of specific coins, PM is the better way.

20. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow mad Max, with a couple horses tossed in. Sweet coin and a jw price, a total winner!!!:)

stevex6 likes this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

not this guy (*sigh*)

Draft saved Draft deleted