WTS: Ancients and a group lot of unidentified medieval and early modern Spanish coins!

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by red_spork, Sep 11, 2016.

1. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Selling off more of my Roman Imperial, Roman Provincial and Judean coins to raise some funds in anticipation of some upcoming auctions. All coins guaranteed authentic for eternity and came from dealers who also guarantee authenticity. Shipping is $3 for USPS First Class in a bubble mailer in the United States. Other carriers, international shipping, registered mail, priority, etc. can all be done at-cost, just PM me if you'd like a quote. Also as an added bonus, FREE SHIPPING if you buy more than $100. Payment by Google Wallet, PayPal FF or PayPal G&S +3%.

1. Lot of Medieval and early modern coins from Spain. I believe them all to be 11th-17th century AD but cannot guarantee it. Some could potentially use more cleaning, but that's up to the buyer. Selling all as a lot for $54, that's just $3 each before shipping
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. A nice budget portrait of the Roman emperor Nero in bronze. The temple of Janus is one of his most famous types, you can read about it here. All yours for SOLD Full ID: Nero. AD 54-68. Æ As(28mm, 10.3g). Rome mint. Struck circa AD 65. NERO CAESAR AVG GERM IMP, Bare head right / PACE P R TERRA MARIQ PARTA IANVM CLVSIT, Temple of Janus with closed doors to left hung with garland and latticed window to right, S-C in upper exergue. RIC I 304.
    [​IMG]

3. SOLD A tiny anonymous quadrans. Not a lot is known about these little anonymous ones, though you can see some recent discussion of them from CoinTalk here including another picture of this one. SOLD. Full ID: Roman Empire Æ Quadrans. Time of Domitian-Antoninus Pius. Obv: Mars Helmeted right, Rev: S-C, trophy
    [​IMG]

4. A rare bronze of Hadrian and Antoninus Pius from Aelia Capitolina(Jerusalem). These were struck in Aelia Capitolina(Jerusalem) shortly after Christians and Jews were expelled from the city and it was renamed following the failure of the Bar Kochba revolt. These coins get very pricy in better grades, this is an excellent example for the price. SOLD Full ID: JUDAEA, Aelia Capitolina (Jerusalem). Hadrian, with Antoninus Pius as Caesar. 138 AD. Æ (20mm, 9.9g). Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Hadrian right / Head of Antoninus right. Meshorer, Aelia 9; Rosenberger 9.
    [​IMG]

5. A denarius of the military emperor Septimius Severus. SOLD Full ID: Septimius Severus Denarius. 208 AD. SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right / P M TR P X-VI COS III P P, Jupiter standing facing, head turned right, holding thunderbolt in right hand, sceptre in left, cloak wrapped around waist. RSC 502. RIC 216V
    [​IMG]

6. A bronze sestertius of Gordian III with an exceptionally sharp obverse. A nice big coin, see comparison with an Ike here. SOLD Full ID: Roman Imperial, Gordian III as Augustus, Æ Sestertius(19g). 240 AD, Rome mint. IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate, draped & cuirassed bust right / P M TR P III COS P P, SC in ex, emperor seated left holding globe & scepter. Cohen 231. RIC 294a
    [​IMG]

7. SOLD A provincial bronze of Gordian III with the god Serapis from Odessos, Thrace. SOLD. Full ID: Gordian III and Serapis, AE25 of Odessos, Thrace. 238-244 AD. AVT K M ANTWNIOC GORDIANOC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian right, facing draped bust of Serapis left, cornucopiae to right / ODHCCEITWN, Serapis standing facing, head left, holding sceptre and raising right hand. E in left field. Varbanov 4532; BMC 18; AMNG 2331.
    [​IMG]

8. A potin(a copper-lead alloy) tetradrachm of the Roman emperor Claudius II Gothicus from Alexandria, Egypt. A beautiful portrait with an equally stunning eagle. Some green but it appears to be completely stable. $100. Roman Provincial, Alexandria, Claudius II Gothicus, Potin tetradrachm(21mm, 10.5g, 12h), 268 AD. AVT K KΛAVΔIOC CEB; Laureate, draped, bust right / Eagle standing right, head left, holding wreath; in right field, LA (year 1). Emmett 3878; Curtis 1670; Milne 4202
    [​IMG]

9. SOLD An AE3 "Votive" type of Jovian III, struck in Sirmium or Siscia. SOLD. Full ID: Jovian AE3(20mm, 3.6g), Siscia or Sirmium. 363-364 AD. DN IOVIA-NVS PF AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / VOT V MVLT X in four lines within wreath, mintmark BSISC or BSIRM. RIC VIII Siscia 426 B or RIC VIII Sirmium 118 B
    [​IMG]

10. SOLD A Judaean prutah of John Hyrcanus I with extremely sharp Paleo-Hebrew. One of the first types of independent Jewish coinage. An extremely interesting and historic piece. See below for some help reading the Paleo-Hebrew. SOLD Full ID: Hasmoneian Kingdom of Judaea, John Hyrcanus I AE Prutah. 135-104 BC. Obverse: 'A' monogram, YHO(HH)NN("Yehochanan") H("the") KHN("Priest") H("the") GDL("high") W("and") (HH)BR("Council") H("the") YHWDYM("Jews") Paleo-hebrew within wreath. Reverse: Double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns, border of dots. Jerusalem mint. Hendin 1131. Meshorer TJC A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. SOLD A Judaean Prutah of Alexander Jannaeus. Some consider this to be the "Widow's Mite" mentioned in the bible. Sharp Paleo-Hebrew on this one as well. SOLD Full ID: Alexander Jannaeus. 103-76 B.C.E. Æ prutah (16.2 mm, 2.74 g, 12 h). Legend between rays of star with eight rays within diadem / BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY, inverted anchor. Hendin 1150; Meshorer TJC K.
    [​IMG]

12. A Judaean Prutah struck under the king Herod Agrippa I. A nice example for the price. $17. Full ID: JUDAEA. Herodian Dynasty. Agrippa I (37 – 44 A.D.) Æ Prutah, approx. 17.1 mm, 1.93 g. DATED "YEAR 6" = 41/42 A.D. Obv: "BACIΛEWC AΓPIПA" (of King Agrippa), fringed, umbrella-style canopy. Rev: Three ears of barley and two leaves, flanked by date "L S". Hendin 1244
    [​IMG]

13. SOLD A prutah struck by Jewish Rebels during the First Jewish War, also known as the Great Revolt. An excellent budget example of a historically important type. SOLD Judaea. First Jewish War. Struck year two 67/68 A.D. Obverse: Rimmed amphora with paleo-Hebrew inscription YEAR TWO. Reverse: Vine leaf on small branch with tendril, paleo-Hebrew inscription FREEDOM OF ZION. Hendin 661
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017