Ancients: Ancient Errors

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Sep 22, 2013.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As mentioned in another thread, Ancient coins frequently show minor errors that would make them very desirable by the standards of modern collectors but detract from the interest/value of ancients. At some point error can become so extreme that they overcome the stigma of being defective and may even be worth (usually slightly) more than a fully normal coin. This is even quite a matter of opinion since there are many ancient coin collectors that have absolutely no interest in errors and consider the coins of the level shown here just plain defective and worthless. This post is to suggest to beginners that they should not pay extra for a 'variety' based on their modern standards but be aware of this special situation for ancients.

Anyone having really wild errors is invited to post them.

rx6356bb3046.jpg
    Double struck with forehead repeated just left of the main strike - boring! - not nearly bad enough to add value
    rx6357bb3090.jpg
    Die crack at hairline on obverse - again worthless as an added value feature
    rx7115bb1097c.jpg
    Flipover double strike with the first strike being a reverse brockage - If you don't like this one, you don't like errors.
    rx7205bb2887rot.jpg

Constantius Gallus falling horseman overstruck on Constantius II 2 captives type. This is only a premium item because there is enough legend to identify both coins fully. An undertype that is not identifiable would be just a fault.

g00430bb0480.jpg

A chunk of the die broke out leaving a large cud to the upper left of Arathusa's head. This is only of any merit because the massive die study by Boehringer on coins of Syracuse allows following the progress of such breaks from start to when they had to retire the die. This adds no value but detracts little either. rx7890bb0060.jpg The reverse was struck twice with one upside down so the mintmark appears at top and bottom. This adds nothing but would IMHO if you could establish that a different die was used for the two strikes. These exist and are considered quite worth owning by some of us. rx7790bb0503.jpg This Theodosius I was published in an old Numismatist magazine article before I owned it (I have lost thee reference). No one then noticed that the reverse legend has a misspelling (GLORAI for GLORIA) but, seriously, who cares. Let the US mint misspell PLURIBUS and see who cares. No fair!

That is enough for now. Who has error coins to show?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Well I just posted this a few days ago but it fits the thread, so here again is a dramatically overstruck Christ follis, "Peek-a-Boo Jesus".
    JCoverstrikeHJBsm.jpg

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

The bolded text is the errors.

[​IMG]
    Aquilia Severa (221 - 222 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IVLIA AQVILIA SEVERA AVG, draped bust right.
    R: CONCORDIA, Concordia standing half left, sacrificing from patera in right over lit altar, double cornucopia in left, star left.
    Rome 221 A.D.
    19mm
    3.2g
    RIC IV 226, BMCRE V 184, RSC III 2, SRCV II 7679

Partial portrait die clash on right reverse field.

Ex. Heritage Auctions, Jul 18, 2013, #231329 Lot 61048 (part of)

[​IMG]

AR Denarius
    O: IVLIA MAESA AVG, Draped bust right.
    R: FORTVNAE REDVCI Fecunditas standing left, raising hand over child and cornucopia.
    Rome
    18.8m
    3.1g
    RSC 14

Engravers Error:

This coin features Maesa's Fecunditas type, RIC 249 = RSC 8, and should have been labeled FECVNDITAS AVG.

It implies that Maesa's FECVNDITAS AVG type and Elagabalus' FORTVNAE REDVCI type were being produced simultaneously, that is in 219 AD, the known date of the FORTVNAE REDVCI type.

This error is not unpublished: Cohen 14 reports a specimen in Paris, RIC 252 takes it over from Cohen.

About the 6th known of this type, found two other specimens with the same combination of type and legend, both from the same reverse die but feature a young Maesa bust. This type features the older bust type.

Possibly unique to feature this particular bust.

[​IMG]
    Maximinus II Daia (309 - 313 A.D.)
    Silvered follis
    O: GAL VAL MAXIMINVS NOB CAESAR; Laureate head right.
    R:GENIO POPVLI ROMANI; Genius standing left, modius on head, naked but for chlamys over left shoulder, right hand holding patera from which liquord flows; left a cornucopia., A in right field, •SM•SD• in exergue.
    Serdica mint
    28mm
    10.7g
    RIC VI 13b RCV 3754v (obverse inscription)

Die Chip Under Nose

[​IMG]
    Constantine X (1059 - 1067 A.D.)
    Æ FOLLIS
    O: +EMMA_NOVHA Christ standing facing on footstool, raising hand in benediction and holding Gospels. IC XC across field
    R: EVDKARO +KWNTAK On left, Eudocia standing facing, wearing modified loros with kite-shaped lower panel and crown with cross and pendilia; on right, Constantine standing facing, wearing modified loros and crown with cross and pendilia, both holding labarum with cross-piece on shaft between them, standing on base and three steps, and each places one hand on heart
    Constantinople
    6.1g
    26mm
    DOC 8; SB 1853

Overstruck Reverse

May have more but this is all I can remember/find.

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Wow Mat, good stuff!

6. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Vespasian, Denarius, Ephesus
    Obv - IMP CAESAR VESPAS AVG COS V TR P P P; Head of Vespasian, laureate, right
    Rev - PACI AVGVSTAE; Victory adv. right, with wreath and palm; at lower right, star; annulet beneath
    Minted in Ephesus, A.D. 74
    References:- RIC 1457. BMCRE 475. RSC 277.
    Dimensions:- 22.04 mm x 19.07 mm

Severely double struck making this one ugly coin

[​IMG]

IrishLuck, rvk, randygeki and 6 others like this.
  7. maridvnvm

Probus
    Obv:– IMP C PROBVS • P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– COMITI PORBI(sic) AVG, Minerva standing left, holding olive-branch and spear and resting left hand on shield
    Mint – Lugdunum (I in exe) Emission 7 Officina 1. A.D. 280
    Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien 315 (example c). RIC 69 Bust type F var (PORBI in error not listed in RIC)

One of the examples cited by Bastien of 315 - the standard PROBI coin, 315c - Voetter, is also PORBI from the same reverse die. No examples cited in Bastien Suppl. II.

[​IMG]

8. maridvnvm

Probus
    Obv:– IMP C PROBVS P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– TEMPR (sic) FELICI , Felicitas standing right, holding caduceus and cornucopiae
    Mint – Lugdunum (I in exe) Emission 6 Officina 1. A.D.278 to A.D. 279
    Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien -. RIC -.

Not listed in Bastien or RIC with this reverse legend error of TEMPR for TEMPOR. I have seince seen a second example from the same dies.

[​IMG]

9. maridvnvm

Septimius Severus denarius
    Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG II C, Laureate head right
    Rev:– BONETAE (sic) AVG, Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
    Minted in Emesa, 194 - 195 A.D.
    References:– RIC -. RSC -. BMC -.

BONETAE for MONETAE

[​IMG]

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow, that's a great example of the point Doug made about the error having to be dramatic to increase (for some folks) the desirability of an ancient coin!

Incredibly ugly coin, Martin. I want it :)

stevex6 likes this.
  11. maridvnvm

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG II C, laureate head right
    Rev:– FORTVAE(sic) REDVCI, Moneta/Aequitas standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
    Minted in Emesa. A.D. 193
    Reference(s) – BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -.

A spelling mistake combined with a mix up of reverse type and reverse legend

[​IMG]

12. maridvnvm

These two go together. They are a mix-up of reverse legend and reverse type one being the opposite mistake to the other.

Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II, Laureate head right
    Rev:– BONI EVENTVS, Spes standing holding flower and lifting skirt
    Minted in Emesa, A.D. 194 - 195
    References:– BMCRE -, RIC -, RSC -
    Die axis 0 degrees. Weight 2.58g

A mix up with the reverse legend and reverse type. The reverse legend should match with the Fides type instead of Spes.

[​IMG]

Rev:– BONA .. SPEI, Fides (Bonus Eventus in RIC) standing left holding basket of fruits in right hand, grain ears in left
    Minted in Emesa, A.D. 194 - 195
    References:– BMCRE -, RIC -, RSC -

A mix up with the reverse legend and reverse type.

[​IMG]

13. maridvnvm

Obv:–IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II, laureate head right
    Rev:– MONTE (sic) AVG, Moneta standing left, holding scales in right hand, cornucopiae in left
    Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194 – A.D. 195
    Reference:– BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -. This error not noted

[​IMG]

randygeki, chrsmat71 and John Anthony like this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I avoided Septimius since the Eastern cutters were so original in their spelling. It amazes me how many different dies contained the same errors in a few cases. I'll throw in a multiple error. The extra A in the obverse legend is from the double strike but I can only attribute the IICOS date on ther reverse of a woman's coin to a failure to understand the program. rs5150b02440lg.jpg

Of course there is the ubiquitous IVLA which comes from both Emesa and Alexandria.
    rs5190b01324lg.jpg

...and finally my favorite non-error. The popular and common Septimius type with the emperor on horseback was copied from Trajan with legend SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI but ony rare Septimius coins read correctly. The majority have PBINCIPI. It bothers me that the standard references fail to note this. Which of the five below is the error? Remember Greek cutters were not accustomed to the letter R so they often mixed up B and R.
    rs2430b01220lg.jpg rs2440b00279lg.jpg rs2450b00858lg.jpg rs2460b00500lg.jpg rs2470b01566lg.jpg

15. maridvnvm

Rev:– Brockage image of obverse
    Minted in Emesa. A.D. 194-195
    Reference:- Cohen -. BMCRE -. RIC IV -. RSC -.

Obverse brockage.

[​IMG]

chrsmat71 and John Anthony like this.
  16. maridvnvm

Doug,
    I have tried to stick to some of the odder errors otherwise I would be here all day!
    Martin

17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

This brockage error coin was offered to me today for $275. I did not buy it. In your opinion, is it real or is it Memorex?
    IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0508.JPG

randygeki and stevex6 like this.
  18. doucet

doucet Well-Known Member

I have but one error now, Fel Temp, not sure who it is.

Two emperors, two spearing soldiers, but one fallen horseman.

Late Roman double srtike.JPG

19. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

That is a doubly hilarious error and I might consider paying a little more for it. I mean Christ, he's looking through your window like a burglar at night. Right hand of Jesus bounded, ready to punch out the bottom pane of glass. Heineken in left hand.

TIF likes this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Geesh, I gotta get in on this!!

=> The first coin is merely a Balbus coin ... I tossed it in, just because ... my bad

=> but the second coin is a brockage error of a Balbus coin!! ... fairly cool in my eyes!! (enjoy)

balbus a.jpg
    balbus b.jpg

balbus error c.jpg
    balbus error d.jpg

21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:eek: LOL! You're right! I didn't notice the Heineken. Maybe I'll forego Verdicare or otherwise preserve that little decoration.

I have no idea if I paid too much for this. Saw it, loved it, bought it almost immediately (eBay auction, no other bidders) , didn't even look for comps.

Noob! Yo Noob! Open the door, it's me, Jesus!
    Whaddya mean "go away, it's 3 a.m."?? I brought brewskis!

Draft saved Draft deleted