Ancients A-Z

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by CoinBlazer, Apr 30, 2018.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I'm not too much of a Ancients collector, but thought I would start an A-Z list. First reply, list a popular ancient coin starting with A, next person B, Next C
    Can we get all the way to Z?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

How do you want to define the list? By emperor? (Been done, but we could do it again) By city? (been done, but we could do it again) By deity? (Been done, but we could do it again) By animal? (Been done, but we could do it again) ... etc :D

Although, those were all pile-on threads rather than a just-one-per-letter thread. I wonder if that has ever been tried on the Ancients board (a "one example per x" thread). Make whatever rules you want... it will turn into a pile on thread because that's how we roll, lol.

Orfew, Ryro and ominus1 like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

haha!.. i'm still wore out from Alegandron's thread :p

dougsmit, Justin Lee and Alegandron like this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

My new Attica owl featuring Athena!
    253773.jpg

Attica,Athens.Ca480-
    460BC.ARObol(9mm,
    0.62g).Helmetedhead of
    Athenaright/Owl
    standingright,head
    facing,olivesprigbehind,
    AΘEtoright.Kroll13;
    Svoronos pl.8,
    42.Former Kairos
    Numismatik

MontCollector, Spaniard, Ajax and 5 others like this.
  6. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I'm just curious whats out there!!!

ominus1 likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Okay. So, here's B. What will be posted for C... so many C possibilities out there!

B is for Bosporus

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF BOSPORUS, Sauromates II
    Bosporan Era 495 (CE 198/9)
    EL stater, 19 mm, 7.72 gm, 12h
    Obv: BACIΛЄωC CAVPOMATOV; diademed and draped bust of Sauromates right
    Rev: laureate head of Septimius Severus right; pellet to right; ЄЧV (date) below
    Ref: Frolova p. 177 and pl. XXXIII, 9-10 (same dies as illustrations); Anokhin 576a; MacDonald 506/2
    ex Dr. Lawrence A. Adams collection
    ex Buddy Ebsen Collection (Superior, 7 June 1987, lot 4114). Perhaps better known as Jed Clampett :D
    [​IMG]

8. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It would be nice to have an index of such threads but I and others have expressed a preference to not have those "sticky notes" that clutter up the top of so many forums. Maybe I'll work on a list, post links on a page on my website, and put the link in my signature line.

If anyone wants to help, PM me the link to threads you think should populate such a list.

ominus1, Alegandron and Ryro like this.
  10. Ryro

I rushed to get "A" to see if we can do the alphabet without duplication. And in doing so I posted the first cruddy lil coin that I'd recently bought from the Kairos auction...and then to follow up on "B" @TIF posts a masterpiece...:shame:

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

kaBOOM! :D

ominus1 and Ryro like this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

C is for CAESAR:

upload_2018-4-30_10-42-50.png
    RImp Julius Caesar Lifetime P Sepullius Macer AR Den Jan-Mar 44 BCE 4.03g. CAESAR – DICT PERPETVO Veiled - Venus Victory sceptre star Syd 1074a Sear Imperators 107e Cr 480-14 Rare

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    D is for Diadumenian, AD 217-218
    AE, 28mm, 11.4g; 12h; Nikopolis ad Istrum
    Obv.: K M OΠΕΛ ΔΙΑΔΟUMENIANOC AV; draped bust right
    Rev.: UΠ ΑΓΡΙΠΠΑ NIKOΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ ΠΡΟC ICTΠ; city gate with three crenulated towers

14. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

E is for Eravisci. This is an imitation of a Roman Republic Denarius struck by the Eravisci Celts in what is now Hungary
    Freeman24-1200px.JPG
    Imitations of Roman Republic, Eravisci, AR Denarius(18.6mm, 3.31g, 6h), circa 50-20 B.C., mint in modern-day Hungary. Imitating types of C. Postumius. Bust of diana right, bow and quiver on shoulder / Hound running right, spear below. POSTVMI TA(in ligature) in exergue. Freeman 24(this coin), dies 17/P; Davis Class B, Group II Pannonian, Eraviscan E15; cf. Crawford 394/1a for prototype
    Ex RBW Collection(Agora 69, 9/26/2017, lot 1). From a hoard partially published in 1998 in "A group of Eraviscan denarii" by Robert Freeman in "Coins of Macedonia and Rome: Essays in Honour of Charles Hersh".

More information in my original post here

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

E for Elagabalus, Syrian AR Tet:

elag1.jpg

elag2.jpg

17. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

18. Ryro

Hey! We made it all the way to D without duplication!:smuggrin:

Severus Alexander, TIF, Ajax and 2 others like this.
  19. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

G is for Gallienus:

[​IMG]

20. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

H is for Henry...in this case Henry II

Henry II new photo copy.jpg

21. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..well i'll be shucked!...i didn't know Buddy(Jed) was a coin collector.. i watch the Beverly Hillbillies everyday and Buddy is one of me favorite actors..(and that's spelled "Purdy" btw^^) he was slated to be the tin man in the original Wizard of Oz, but was allergic to the silver paint and was replaced.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    red_spork, TIF and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted