Featured [ancients] A Deity Worthy of Respect

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Sep 7, 2014.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Fantastic writeup! The Romans were deservedly proud of their sanitation. I wonder how many diseases could have been prevented in the coming centuries if sanitation had continued to be treated reverentially.

That's quite a sum of money! I'm curious as to what other fines existed - I haven't read much on them. Outside of the injury causing death, it would still probably be quite difficult to assess an equivalent fee for such a disgusting crime.

Ancientnoob, Okidoki and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks for the coin-compliments everyone! Researching the writeup was lots of fun. I may have misstated a few things though. Cloaca Maxima is not truly in use today although some portions still serve as drains.

Yep, it gave me a giggle too :D

Did you consider the Concordia pairing? Even better, depending on what you believe is the origin or word root for Cloacina.

Concordia, the personification of marital and social harmony and agreement. Venus Cloacina... goddess of the sewer or of cleanliness and hygiene. Draw your own conclusions or jokes :D

Thanks! Did you notice the razor brand? Venus. Next to the Cloacina votive. I love nice visual joke. And of course that's Poo-Pourri #2 rounding out the shrine. I hope Her Holiness is pleased.

Ancientnoob and Okidoki like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I didn't notice that (and am kind of glad that you were the one to point it out), but that makes the picture even funnier.

One of the references you mentioned in your OP has Cloacina as the protector of sexual intercourse in marriage, so the Concordia pairing makes absolute sense. You're right, perhaps this coin should rank higher on my want list...

TIF likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I love it when Friday's postal delivery includes a coin!

Here's an upgrade of my Concordia Cloacina and it was less expensive than the one I bought at WFOM last year :).

ConcordiaCloacina-Kuenker.jpg
    Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome
    L. Mussidius Longus, 42 BCE

AR denarius, Rome mint.
    Obv: Diademed and veiled head of Concordia right; CONCORDIA upwards behind; star in right field below chin
    Rev: Shrine of Venus Cloacina: Circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOACIN and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, flight of steps and portico on left; L • MVSSIDIVS • LONGVS around above.
    Ref: Crawford 494/42b; Bab. 6; BMC 4244; Crawf. 494/42 b; Syd. 1093 a

Wheeeee! Happy Friday, y'all :joyful:

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Beautiful coin TIF. You can bequeath the other to me if you like.

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'll keep you in mind, Bing, but you'll probably only get it if I die before you :D

Okidoki likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

We can make arrangements.....

Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Forgive me for not clicking "like" :D

Okidoki and Ancientnoob like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, what an upgrade! Your shrine is going to look even better now with a photo of this one.

TIF likes this.
  11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Gorgeous coin!

TIF likes this.
  12. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Nice one TIF! An absolute stunner. Great way to start off the weekend...;)

spirityoda and TIF like this.
  13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh wow, that one is very nice TIF...what a great coin.
    what are you going to do with your old one? keep or sell? give it to your ol' coin buddy chrsmat71?

TIF likes this.
  14. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Awesome coin TIF in a crappy kind of way.:) JK.. good lookin' metal, Crystal clear details, total winner.;)

TIF likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, TIF => that's a very pretty addition ... fantastic looking denarius (yummy!!)

TIF likes this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm keeping the first one. At least for now :).

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Just a warning from one who has been there. Keeping upgraded coins 'for now' sometimes means you really have no great desire to move along the old one. For example I recently upgraded my as of Nero with the Temple of Janus reverse. The old one is not all that bad compared to most I see offered but its main feature is being the less common of the two reverse legends and I would really prefer the thing go to someone who would appreciate it for that feature than someone who considered it a Nero for their one-per-emperor collection. Those of us who are into coins for the money have no understanding of such 'numismo-anthropomorphizing' but some of these coins are just a little like family. The other problem with ancients is that there is often one way the old coin is still better than the upgrade. In such cases, I often have multiple coins where a person with any sense would have one. I'll hope someday to have one of these potty denarii, too, so you can add me to the list of people who you can adopt and add to our inheritance.

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Yep, I can understand that. How many COL NEMs do you have? How many Pontos Perseus-Medusa coins does Steve have? :D

There are several types of coins I want to buy in multiples with no intention of disposing of the duplicate(s). I just love certain types and would be perfectly happy to own every known example :joyful:.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Theodosius, Okidoki and stevex6 like this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, the only thing that would make us happier would be to find someone to whom we could show our stash of duplicates without them yawning. It's hard enough to find someone to appreciate all our coins that are different. Below just imagine that I posted my entire groups of Septimius/Domna, horsemen, huts and technical oddities. Just imagine - I would not really want to hurt you that bad.

20. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

wow TIF, stunning, you have it on :D
    i am looking around 1 day i find a nice one.
    keep up the good work.

TIF likes this.
  21. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

My example of this whole upgrade dynamic is this common follis of Licinius. I have much nicer ones now, and I was planning to sell this one - until Doug Smith pointed out that he had never seen this particular officina on one of these coins before. Now I refuse to part with it for precisely that one little reason. :)

licinius500.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted