Ancients => 6 outta 7 ain't bad => One man's humble quest

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Nov 3, 2016.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yah, I'm the first to admit that these examples may not be museum quality, but at the same time => cha-fricken-ching!!

whoop-whoop => I scored two more sweet examples in my Medusa & Nike mini-set!!

Pontos, Kabeira

Pontos Kabeira Aegis.jpg

Pontos, Komana

Pontos Komana Aegis.JPG

... this may merely be an exciting day for me, but hopefully a couple of you coiners will appreciate my big grin?!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey ... yah, I totally realize that Martin just had a recent thread with an amazing Martin-like example (Pontos, Amisos)

=> so please don't feel like you have to redo your coin-dance all over again ... I merely wanted/needed to post these sweet babies of mine

Please welcome => stevex6's Sweet Six (try sayin' that 3 times really fast!!)

below is a sweet link from one of our own (Ed Snible) ... Ed, thanks for the "percentage-info" (I've added it to my comments)

http://snible.org/coins/aegis2.html

Paphlagonia, Amastris - ΑΜΑΣ-ΤΡΕΩΝ

(common => 9/100 => 9%)
    Paphlagonia Amastris Nike.jpg

Paphlagonia, Sinope - ΣΙΝ-ΩΤΗΣ

(common => 12/100 => 12%)

Sinope Nike.jpg

Pontos, Kabeira - ΚΑΒΗ-ΡΩΝ

(scarce => 2.5/100 => 2.5%)

Pontos Kabeira Aegis.jpg

Pontos, Komana - ΚΟΜΑ-ΝΩΝ

(scarce => 4/100 => 4%)
    Pontos Komana Aegis.JPG

Pontos, Amisos - ΑΜΙ-ΣΟΥ

(very common => 72/100 = 72%)
    Pontos Amisos Nike.jpg

Pontos, Chabakta - ΧΑΒΑ-ΚΤΩΝ

(rare => 1/100 => 1%)
    Pontos Chabakta Nike.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:panda: .... one more to go (OCD kickin' in, big-time!!)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Woohoo! Congrats... I guessed you were going for that Kabeira. I'd post my Komana, but I just sold it :rolleyes:.

Which mint is the last target?

stevex6 likes this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Congrats on getting close to your goal!!

LOL Sure seems like it . What's the next OCD after you score your missing mint?

stevex6 likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Z-- I can't believe you sold your Komana to that joker ;) :D

Congrats on the six, Steve-O! I bet your are going to be clawing at the walls until you find a Laodikia to complete the set!

zumbly, stevex6 and Mikey Zee like this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> ummm, maybe US Lincoln Noncents?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Jwt708 likes this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Also, the "average" cost per coin (delivered) = $57.50 US

... maybe that doesn't seen thrifty to some of you, but this guy thinks that's a nice-price to pay for these cool 2100 year old Medusa/Nike examples

amazing, eh?

=> keep 'em comin'!!

:woot:

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yeah, I knew he'd pay anything for it! :greedy:

Nah, I just have a soft spot for these OCD types :).

TIF and stevex6 like this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

By the way ...

=> here is an image of my Unicorn Coin => the Missing-Link

Pontos, Laodikia - ΛΑΟΔΙ-ΚΕΙΑΣ
    (very rare)

[​IMG]

If you happen to stumble-across one of these babies, then perhaps you might give me a heads-up? (that'd be nice)

Sure, not everybody is nice ... fair is fair (but again, if one of my coin-buddies happens to see this Bigfoot Coin, then please don't be shy to send me a PM)

thanks, either way

cheers => coin-on!!

emoticon cheers too.gif

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

we'll all keep an eye out for you stevex!!

[​IMG]

Mikey Zee, Pishpash, stevex6 and 7 others like this.
  12. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

You should also consider getting an example from the Sarmatian Kingdom of the Steppes. Mitchener considered them imitations, but Mithradates The Great had a Scythian wife. I suspect the "imitations" just reflect less skill on the part of the die cutters. There is an example on the page you link to, and here is another:
    amisos-imit.jpg

Here is another example of the rare city of Laodikea:
    laodikea2.jpg

Regarding rarity, Michael Amandry wrote on a hoard of 409 aegis/Nike bronzes. The mints broke down at 72% Amisos, 12% Sinope, 9% Amastris, 4% Komana Pontica, 2.5% Kabeira, and 1% (3 coins) of Chabakta. There were no coins of Laodikeia.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Not only do I wish you well in the search but I hope you find one for 99 cents on eBay probably identified as some other town. The best of these coins tend to be pretty awful looking and few sellers would have any idea anyone would want them. When big sales get them, check the bulk lots.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=112014
    Look how nice the Chabakta is in the above lot of three and they did not even bother naming the town for the third coin. Rarity has nothing to do with the market and I hope we will all check the junk boxes for the Laodicea of your dreams.

Mikey Zee, stevex6 and Alegandron like this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Two Amisos, one Chabakta. The first coin described shows two measurements so they did name the three coins, although with an economy of words.
    GREEK. Asia Minor. Lot of three Pontic Æ with Gorgons. Pontos, Amisos. Circa 85-65 BC. Æ 20/21mm. Aegis with Gorgoneion in center / Nike right with palm; monograms. Cf. SNG BM Black Sea 1185 // Pontus. Chabakta. Æ 19mm. Same types. All of these are of entirely different style. Fine to VF. LOT SOLD AS IS, NO RETURNS. 3 coins in lot.

stevex6 likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes:

Hey Ed => thank you very much for the additional info (I tweaked one of my previous posts to include the percentage-info ... very ineteresting, thanks again)

cheers, coin-bro

cheers.gif

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh, and thanks for your coinpliments, gang ... I always appreciate feedback (it's what it's all about, right?)

Ummm, and just because I said that didn't have to repost your cool examples => always feel free to romp-around and do whatever you want in my threads!!

=> it's a fun hobby!!

17. Ed Snible

stevex6 likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ed, thanks for the heads-up ... I totally appreciate your help

SIDENOTE: although you're totally awesome for giving me the heads-up, nobody likes live auction bids being posted on these threads (PM-ing the guy is a far superior strategy => oh, and thanks for the PM as well, my friend)

You rock!!

:rolleyes:

19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Congrats buddy! And hope you find the last one you need :)

image002.JPG
    Pontos, Amisos. Mithradates VI Eupator, 120-63 BC, AE21 (7.06gm), struck c. 85-63 BC. Aegis with Gorgoneion / Nike. SNG BM Black Sea 1177ff; BMC 25, p. 19, 69-71.

Alegandron, TIF, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  20. Ed Snible

I replied to the thread by accident. I couldn't figure out how to delete it. Now even the option to edit it is gone.

stevex6 likes this.
  21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I believe the option to edit is only good for 2 hrs.

Draft saved Draft deleted