Ancient Worn Coin...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bonedigger, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Here is one which is just too worn to get an accurate attribution and I'm just too tired to really try. Looks Constantinish. I just wanted to post it because it's beautiful worksmanship comes thru even after 1800 or so years underfoot. I like to think the bronze used in some of my ancients came from the "Colossis of Rhodes :D" after it crumbled...

Cheers
    Ben
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

That would be Gratian,
    Obv: DN GRATIANVS PF AVG, Pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust facing right.
    Rev: GLORIA ROMANORVM, Emperor walking right, holding standard and dragging captive; star over F in right field, [gamma]SISC in exergue.
    Ref: Sear #4142, Van Meter #49, RIC IX Siscia #14c(type xv) (or a variation thereof)

Attached Files:

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Holy Moly!!! You know your stuff. Did you see my earlier Anastasius_I? Thanks for Looking :D

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

You're most welcome.
    I missed the Anastasius but will look now.
    I should add that after staring at this coin until my eyes are crossed,there is a slight possibility that it is Valentinian I.No matter how hard I try,I can't see the name DN GRATIANVS on the obverse but I CAN see what looks like DN VALENTI.....I'm still shooting for Gratian because if you do a search on Wildwinds for GLORIA ROMANORVM,the ONLY coins with the Star over F are his.The Valens boys used the identical reverse but without the letters in the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted