Ancient Whitesheet website updates

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/ancientwhitesheet/index.html

I started working on my website in May 2014, but didn't figure out a layout I liked for the content until July 2017, last year. Since last July I've made a lot of progress but is still early on for this website as far as content is concerned.

So far, I have a topics page which has new dry cleaning methods using a electric duster, also is compatible with nearly all older techniques as well. Several general topics and site related topics.

My ancient coin link page has been greatly expanded and with a new section for ancient languages. These links are information about ancient language scripts found on coins. Until I make a guide, these links will help learn and be able to display these ancient scripts on your computer.

Last but not least is my Ancient Coin Visual Keyboard which supports the following ancient scripts. Greek, Latin, Phoenician, Russian, Armenian, Arabic, Aramaic, Syriac, Kharosthi, Nabataean, Ancient South Arabian, Lycian, Lydian, Carian, Cypriote.

AC-VK serves as a visual aid to read coins with scripts other than Latin types. It's simple. You look at the coin and if you can read the letters, you click the buttons which displays the text in a box. There are two functions, COPY and CLEAR. If you click COPY it will copy to clip board and have a preview window so you can review what you typed. After that, you can paste the text which is in the clipboard to another program such as a word processor or even a web browser.

A lot of these ancient scripts have not been supported, so don't expect all characters to show up. I am using unicode and you can switch fonts in your browser or word processor. Which makes it very flexible. If you get the following fonts, you should be able to see about everything. Times New Roman, Segoe UI Historic, Everson Mono, Unifont upper and lower (two font set). Old non-unicode font sets will not be used because they are not very compatible with the internet.

Almost every keyboard has more than one script on it to able to read various coin types from many regions. There is modern Latin transliteration and directional characters to indicate if it's LTR (left to right) or RTL (right to left). I'm using a alphabet table, rather than a keyboard layout. Because a keyboard is mechanical. You also can't see all the characters at once.

acvk-nabataean-08-24-2018-1.png

I just got Nabataean working recently.

dlhill132, Nyatii, Chris B and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Nice job!!

eparch and Gil-galad like this.
  4. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

Keyboards will be useful - thank you

5. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Very nice start. I wish you the best of luck with it.

6. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Thanks, my friends.

As it is right now, the keyboards are fully functional. Most of the major ancient coin languages are supported. Most of the ones that ain't supported are a lot of ancient Asia languages.

I was hoping for some reviews that are more detailed with feedback both positive and negative. It helps me improve or think about how to improve it.

Draft saved Draft deleted