Ancient => Wha? => You've got yourself a crocodile and a genius??! (no fricken way!)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Jun 12, 2013.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While there are a lot of nice Alexandrian coins on Wildwinds, those really interested might want to seek a used copy of CNG sale catalogs 12 and 13 where the collection of Kerry Wetterstrom was auctioned. There are some types you will have trouble imagining let alone finding. Those sales got me interested in the coins but the prices realized got me over it back in 1990. Only a few coins sold over $3000 then but I hate to think what this sale would bring today despite the fact that most coins were a bit worn by many standards.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm Doug => do you happen to have those catalogues and/or could you possibly post a couple of those photos? (but only if it's not a huge inconvenience)

4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks for the link/tip ... I should have known to ask you directly, CNG-bro

:thumb:

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow => that is the coolest site for looking at old CNG catalogues (it is actually like you're leafing-through an old paper-catalogue!! ... very cool)

... oh, and great coins!!

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I was not aware of this resource! I thought CNG only posted their catalogs from the 2000's. Be sure to view the last of the CNA XIII listings since they saved the best stuff for last rather than lumping them in date order. That is where you find things like the labors of Hercules and the one I want, lot 222, the Flaying of Marsyas. It is noted as the best of 8 known examples and it is pretty much a dog by high end grading standards. Even common Alexandrian bronzes are hard to find in high grade.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yah, I like #222 => but I think I'm a fan of #192 ... very cool

=> thanks again for the link/info Ardatirion (super ol' resource) ... and I love the format!!

:thumb:

9. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

I am partial to #298 the Galba. I don't know why I just have this thing for Galba even though his coins are so hard to come by in my price range. I have a Gabla tetradrachm but the obverse is so beat up. Nice reverse though. I lucked out hardcore to find one moderately in my price range.

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Whizb4ng => nice Galba => but I was actually looking through the other catalogue that Doug mentioned (CNA XIII) ... here is the link to the coin that I thought was super-cool (#192) ..... Doug likes (#222) ... both/all of 'em are awesome!!

... hopefully the link works (at times, I have a tough time making these computer thingies do what I want 'em to do!!)

http://issuu.com/cngcoins/docs/cna_xiii

=> yup, nuthin' quite as cool as a good ol' Drachm, eh?

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The catalogs were intended to sell coins not to serve as easy references over twenty years later. As a result it can be hard to find coins that match your holdings even if they were in the collection. However, there were so many types that many coins we see might not have been included so it would be nice to own the standard references like Dattari and Milne which I have never seen. I have always resisted buying books that cost as much as the total of the coins I own that they cover. This may not be a good plan. I see there is a used Milne online for $858.

I'll tack on a few of my Alexandrian coins which most of you have seen before. I failed to find them in a quick scan of the two catalogs here.
    gi0180bb1136.jpg gi0210bb0345.jpg gi0265bb2912.jpg gi0280bb2299.jpg gi0310b02372lg.jpg

Of them, I find interesting the Antoninus Pius / modius obol which is struck with the reverse on the tapered side of the flan while most of these coins used the flat side for the reverse. I have not studied that enought to know if it is unusual or just a sign of my not paying attention.

12. Whizb4ng

Yeah I figuredd out you meant the other catalogue after I posted and was too lazy to switch. The coins in that second cataloge are insane. I don't think Ihave seen much in comparison in my short time collecting.

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Few people who have collected for a short while have any idea just how many different coins are out there and how rarely some types come to market. I suspect that 90% of the Wettstrom coins still belong to whoever owned them in 1990. Rarities in this game are not things that were made in the hundred thousand range a hundred years ago but things that survived antiquity in a quantity that you could hold in one hand. Considering the number of these that I have seen offered, I am surprised that they actually knew of eight of one variety. I do know, however, eight people who post here who would buy some of these coins if they turned up in a junk box so it is no surprise that there are eight people worldwide who would pay a thousand more than I would. What makes these Alexandrian coins 'insane' is that rarities are very different and interesting not just rare because of a misplaced dot or minor detail. 'Insane' is a fair term here.

14. Whizb4ng

I can't imagine ever having the income to support a $1000+ coin purchase. Then again I just graduated last year and still have towering student loans to deal with (as of August they will be 1/5th paid off! Technically not but I like to think of it that way). My first draw to Alexandrian coins came because they had so many interesting types and the fact that they had elements of three distinct cultures at the same time. I am still hoping to track down a reasonably priced coin with Isis on it.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> I'm sure that you'll find you're "Golden-ticket", my new Manitoba-brother!!!

:high5:

Draft saved Draft deleted