Ancient => Wha? => You've got yourself a crocodile and a genius??! (no fricken way!)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Jun 12, 2013.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yup ... we got ourselves a crocodile "and" a super-cool genius emerging from a cornucopia (no seriously!!)

EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius Æ Drachm
    AD 138-161
    Dated RY 7 (AD 143/4)
    Diameter: 34 mm
    Weight: 23.02 grams
    Obverse: Laureate head right
    Reverse: Nilus reclining left, holding reed and cornucopia from which emerges a Genius; crocodile below; L Z (date) to left, Iς above
    Reference: Köln 1449; Dattari (Savio) 2747; K&G 35.217
    Other: 12h … VF, attractive blue-green patina, edge split

Ex Greenpoint Collection (acquired from Ralph DeMarco)

Antoninus Pius Croc a.jpg Antoninus Pius Croc b.jpg

I'm sorry, but OMG => this coin is really somethin', eh? (super-cool)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

I knew that you would be bidding on that one... :)

It's a great coin with very interesting subject...

Nilus, personification of the Nile, holding the genius of the breadbasket of the empire...

Whoops, accidentally posted it when not finished :eek:

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Too cool. Love it

5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Steve I am glad that you back in the swing of things...

The drachm is nice and the ruler is pius. :D

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks for the coin-compilments, comrades!!

7. Bing

Ya know, Jerry, the more I look at this coin, the more I likes it. That's great detail on Nilus.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks Bing => yah, and it's one big baby too => 34 mm and 23 grams (can't wait to feel it in-hand!!)

:yes:

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Genius
    Mythology:
    The name comes probably from Lat. gignere, because this deity was assigned to each human when he was conceived or he was taken under his protection (Varro), or he has created us himself or has been created together with us (Apuleius).

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=genius

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks Treashunt ...

=> Yah, I merely meant that it is kinda rare to have a cute lil' genius "and" a cool lookin' crocodile on the same coin-reverse (awesome reverse)

11. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

To add a bit more,

I interpret this as the plentiful food production due to the Nile protecting the people of Egypt...

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow ... it's a ghost-town here ... spooky

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is a very nice example of a very interesting type well covered in this thread. I assume you realize the significance of Iς or 16 in Greek numerals. At a flood level of 16 cubits, the Nile inundated the fields and guaranteed a good harvest. The economy and life of the people of the region depended on the annual refreshing of the fields by these floods. Eqypt is a barren desert with a narrow but very fertile strip of land with soil provided by the floods. The personification of the river was honored on this coin for providing a full 16 cubit dose of flood.

This coin is no longer needed since the construction of Aswan High Dam stopped the flooding and depositing of fresh soil so modern farmers have to use chemical fertilizers like those in other parts of the world.

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh cool, what an interesting coin....lots of cool stuff going on with the reverse. that's another winner!....cheers! :cheers:

i had heard the 16 cubits take, but didn't make that greek connection....thanks DS.

i couldn't remember how long a cubit was, so i looked it up. i guess it is the length from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger, here is baseball player andre ethier demonstrating the cubit...

Andre-Ethier-Flips-Bird-to-Dodgers-Fans-Censored.jpg

why did that come out so blurry?
    anyway, great coin!

15. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Not going to lie I am super jealous of this coin. I don't have an Alexandrian drachm yet. I kind of tunnel visioned on tetradrachms >< Even better it is a nice big one too!

16. Bing

That makes two of us that are jealous

17. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Sweet coin Steve, what a stone skipper, i like this...:thumb:

18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

First off => "welcome" Whizb4ng!!

Secondly => I now have "2" sweet Alexandria drachms (drachmas?) ...

Antoninus Pius Croc a.jpg Antoninus Pius Croc b.jpg Marcus Griffin a.jpg Marcus Griffin b.jpg

=> yah, I gotta agree with you guys that these big ol' chubby drachms from Alexandria are pretty damn cool!!

:high5:

19. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Yikes the Griffin is also excellent. Is that also Antoninus or Marcus? I always mix those two up.

Also I think the plural is drachmae?!

20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey Whizb4ng => yah, you're correct => that Gryphon is a Marcus Aurelius (man, I love that coin!! => classic)

Drachmae => you got it!! (brother, I wish I had a whole lot more drachmae!!)

:cheers:

21. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

If I recall, drachmae would be the Latinized form, and drachmai the Greek? But I don't know any Greek, so I could easily be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted