Ancient: Vitellius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

So I bought this back in Dec of last year & I finally got my Vitellus. I got a great deal on it due to agreeing with the dealer to wait till he was here in the u.s. and ship here for free so we didnt have to worry about NY customs swiping it.

It was one of my more challenging photos to take a pic of in awhile, its got the shiny/polished feel to it so no matter how much or little light I had, it didnt like it. So this is the best of the bunch.

Cutis Clay gave the coin an OK with other pics I showed him, so no fake.

Now its saving for a long time for Otho & my 12 caears will be done.

[​IMG]
    Vitellius (69 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TR P, laureate head right.
    R: PONT MAXIM, Vesta, veiled, seated right on throne, holding patera and sceptre.
    Rome
    18mm
    3g
    RICI pg 273, #107

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Hey Mat i think i was worth the wait, very good centering, bet it feels good to get that bad boy home...

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great new pick-up ... congrats (another Roman Ruler ticked-off the ol' list, eh?)

Sadly, I do not have a Vitellius, yet

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Yeah, the shiny ones are a pain to photograph sometimes. Very neat addition!

6. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Congrats Mat! Nice one. It's always been a satisfying part of collecting to set a goal and slowly fulfill it. I still need Vitellius, Otho and Julius Caesar to round out my 12 Caesars set.

I've been eyeballing this Vitellius fouree but have yet to pull the trigger on it as I'm not quite sure it's the right coin for my set. He looks a little like a zombie with his face peeling off.
    vitellius obv.jpg vitellius rev.jpg

Got your PM about Otho. I'll send you some links to coins I've been looking at. None of them are inexpensive.

chrsmat71, Eng, Ripley and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks!

I had a Faustina I foure that looked similar to that, exposed on her head looked like her brain. It got BD and I unloaded it :/

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a very handsome coin, congratulations. I'm not aiming for the 12 Caesars because I know I can't afford a few in the grades I would want.

9. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

This was my first Caesar purchase, i was going for the 12 in silver but have given up for now and trying in bronze..

Vitellius. 69 AD.
    Ar denarius..
    DSC04855_opt.jpg
    DSC04856_opt.jpg

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I would think a 12 Caesars set in bronze could be quite expensive as well. Nice looking coin John.

11. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Congrats Mat! Nice centering!

12. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I think you can buy a a set of 12 Caesar bronze, for one silver Caligula denarius.:nailbiting:

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'll admit my Caligula Denarius was my most expensive; however, I don't even know if it's possible to find a set of portrait bronzes. A bronze JC portrait has got to be expensive I would think.

14. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

It's not possible to assemble a 12 Caesars set of bronzes.

Neither Julius Caesar nor Otho minted portrait imperial bronzes during their reigns. Although there are provincial bronzes of Otho (and maybe Julius as well?), they are crude and bear no resemblance to the emperor himself. Most collectors don't consider these provincial bronzes as being a 12 Caesars bronze.

15. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Have you considered assembling and posting a "group photo" of your 11 coins so far?

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

ahahah ... sadly, so far, my twelve caesar set includes silvers, bronzes and one fake (ummm, there aren't any actual rules, are there?)

... yah, my ultimate attempt is to collect all "207" Roman Rulers and/or mates, etc ... ummm, in this ridiculous quest of mine, I am certainly bending the rules regarding whether they all have to be the same metal-type and/or even if they follow any of the typical classifications ...

For example, if I have a sweet AE drachm of A-Pius, then I'm certainly ticking-off that Roman Ruler's name in the ol' RIC-II listing ......... oh, and similarly, if I have a smokin' Vespasian silver denarius, then "tick" he's outta there as well ..... ummm yah, I admit that my fake/un-authentic Claudius example probably doesn't count, eh? (fine, I will eventually work on getting a new Claudius coin) ...

;)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are no rules except the ones you make. When you get 206 of your 207 and have come closer than any individual or institution (save the British Museum) has, will you buy another fake, plan the heist of the century or what? I do know that I am not too good to have a provincial of Titiana and Pertinax Jr. in aG but I assume they are not on your list because they don't have Imperials.

stevex6 likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ahaha, exactly ...

Sure, I may have to compromise and/or improvise somewhere along the way ...

=> hey, maybe if the dudes from the British Museum had a few more summer-camp skills, then perhaps the world would be a better place, and we'd see more "kinda-authentic" coins?

... hey, I'm just sayin' ...

my coin a.jpg

voila!! => Sibannacus!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

what was the outback steakhouse slogan? "no rules, just right"....that's my coin collecting motto.

wonderful new coin mat!

20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thanks for the replies.
    nope, but they are in their own gallery:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3973

But when I get otho, I will toss them in a group pic.

Also as others have stated, ive made my own rules. I prefer to have my provincial of caligula instead of the vesta of his and I like my bronze tiberius instead of tribute penny.

Draft saved Draft deleted