Ancient Type Set

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mike Drop, Mar 28, 2018.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I mentioned there would be disagreements on the matter. I really think the definition of a type set being a group of denominations is a bad idea. Rather, I would prefer a group of coins that defined what the ancient man on the street, slave and senator, might encounter. Just because there was once a 5/12ths as or 1/3 siglos does not mean we need to display one. Should we pick more interesting than usual coins (like Harlan Berk's 100 favorites)?
    https://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Ancient-Coins-Harlan-Berk/dp/0794822622
    Perhaps we could avoid selecting too many really boring types without going for the turbo-rare at every turn. Brutus' EID MAR is more special; Antony's legionaries played a greater role in the economy.

We would most likely include the common denominations by making our representatives of Roman Republican coins include bronzes and silvers but there might be room for a second or third denarius at the expense of something really esoteric. To me, something more appropriate would be famous types we think of as representative of their day. Certainly there would be an antoninianus and a siliqua but probably not a binio or light miliarense. The whole idea of a type set is compromised by there being more types than most people could imagine. Since we are not going to have one of everything, we are free to have what strikes us as correct or even interesting.

Trebellianus, Ajax and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I agree 100%. But, the OP was inquiring about the estimated cost of an ancient type coin collection. People were offering sound input on the matter, but in doing so, they made a lot of assumptions about what was meant by "Type". I posted my interpretation just in case it aligned with what the OP was thinking, in which case the responses could be better focused.

Ultimately, what I was getting at was that we need a better description of what the OP is asking (What he means by type collection). The question was about cost, but "what is an ancient type collection" is another discussion all-together.

TJC and Alegandron like this.
  4. Cherd

While we are on the subject of denominations. I've been working on a timeline of changes in coinage for Imperial Rome, so that I know which denominations are available for each emperor. There's what seems to be an oddity, where the Antoninianus (Aurelianianus, Double Denarius) was the only non-gold coin available from 250-294. Was this actually the case?

5. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Almost, but not quite. There are rare silver quinarii and occasional smaller AE coins, like the "denarius" under Aurelian (270-275):

AurelianDeanariusVICTORIAAVG900.jpg
    18 mm. RIC 73E, Sear III 11643.
    VICTORIA AVG
    This denomination and type is common.

There are still uncommon sestertii under Valerian and Gallienus and rare smaller AE throughout that time period.

TJC, Johndakerftw, Bing and 1 other person like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are also as size sestertii(?) from Aurelian and Severina.
    rs2370bb0738.jpg rs2400bb1398.jpg

There are dupondii sestertii and double sestertii from Postumus.
    rr1890bb0120.jpg

7. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

My reaction was to say "Hey! I'm only 37!" but then I clicked on your avatar and saw your age... Yea... ancient... ;) :D

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I grew up enjoying odd-type coins... US 2cent, 3cent nickels, 3cent silver, 20cents, Trade Dollars... then Civil War Tokens, Hard Times Tokens, then on to Foreign, and finally rested on ANCIENTS!!! So, I reckon my collecting habits have been in the ODD-TYPE niches of Ancients:

I don't know Doug, I kinda love my Quincunx or 5/12 As Collection... and my Fractional Sigloi are fun too... :D
    RR Anon AE 23 Quincunx 6.96g Apollo P behind Dioscuri Luceria 5 pellets Cr 99-4 Syd 309 S 910.jpg
    Roman Republic Anonymous AE 23 Quincunx (5/12ths As) 6.96g Apollo P behind Dioscuri Luceria 5 pellets Cr 99-4 Syd 309 Sear 910 RARE

upload_2018-3-30_7-30-19.png
    Larinum Frentani 210-175 BCE AE Quincunx 22mm 9.8g Mars or Athena corinthian helmet- Galloping Horseman spear sheild tbolt 5 pellets NH Italy 625 BMC 2 SCARCE

upload_2018-3-30_7-31-45.png
    Teate Apulia 225-220 BCE AE Quincunx 12.5g 26.5mm Athena R Corinthn helmet - TIATI owl K 5 pellets - BMC HN Italy 702a SNG Cop 689 var RARE

upload_2018-3-30_7-32-34.png
    Apulia Luceria AE Quincunx - Spoked Wheel 250-217 BCE Athena-Wheel Obv-Rev Grose 443 HN Italy 678 SNG ANS 699

FRACTIONAL ACHAEMENID SIGLOI:
    upload_2018-3-30_7-34-11.png
    Persia Achaemenid Empire Darius I 510-486 BC AR 0.11g 5mm 1/32nd Siglos Persian hero-king in running incuse Klein 758 Rare

upload_2018-3-30_7-35-36.png
    Persia Achamenid Type IV dagger quiver running Darius I to Xerxes II 455-420 BCE AR QUARTER-Siglos 1.35g 8mm Incuse rev

Non Achaemenid:
    Thrace Byzantion AR Half-Siglos bull-dolphin-incuse 340-320 BC.JPG
    Thrace Byzantion AR Half-Siglos bull-dolphin-incuse 340-320 BC

9. Cherd

From a general knowledge perspective, it's good to know of these other denominations that were produced between 250 and 294. But from the sound of it, they all fall into the "oddball" category. Not that I have anything against oddballs (@Alegandron), but I'm looking for best condition coins that I can get for each emperor. So, it looks like I should be specifically seeking out Antoninianii for those guys.

I really appreciate the feedback, but I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about thread high-jacking in here :shy:

Alegandron likes this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

No need to feel guilty! It's just the natural flow of things and I love that this ancients board is so open to letting threads go where they may :)

11. Alegandron

Unfortunately, you will not be able to get Double-Denarii / Ants before 215 CE. Caracalla introduced them.

Agreed with @TIF .

As far as hi-jacking: enjoy the ride! No need for guilt. We are not a strict subject forum. If you read past threads, you will see we revel in winding pathways in our discussions. Additionally, we encourage folks to pile on examples of coins. It is not showing off or a problem. As you may know, this is the place to do that. Otherwise, if we show our collections to most of our friends and/or relatives, their eyes generally glaze over. It is very informal, as many of us enjoy that!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  12. Cherd

Ya, ideally, I'm looking for coins from the perspective of "larger is better". So, I want to get a coin of acceptable condition that I can afford in this heirarchy:

Sestertius>Dupondius>As>Antoninianus>Denarius

I wanted to map out which coins were available for which emperors so that I could investigate what the cost of each Type would be for each emperor and zero in on exactly what I should be looking for. I'm currently only shopping for coins up to the start of the Dominate Period, and it looks like Dupondius is the best realistic option for Tacitus through Carinus. I just want to determine this type of thing so that I'm not still sitting here 5 years from now wondering why something bigger hasn't come along. Well, it's because there isn't anything bigger!

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Alegandron

I casually started collecting each of the Emperors for my Grandkids. However, I focus on the Roman Republic and those entities that interacted with them as MY collecting interest. I enjoy Roman History to approx 200CE, afterwards is pretty boring for my taste. As to the Roman Rulers, I am now up to 148 of the Roman Rulers... I really do not care what denomination and will eventually give the set over to them. I just dove in and started getting them. Yes, some of the rarer ones are in the set. However, I really stayed on my trek for RR and their antagonists. I collect historically vs. numismatically. So, I plan to be able to walk through Roman History with them via the albums of the coins.

Oops, how about a COIN to keep this all legal!

Here is Thrax's SON:
    RI Maximus Thrax JUNIOR 236-238 AE Sestertius Rome mint priestly emblems.jpg
    RI Maximus Thrax JUNIOR 236-238 AE Sestertius Rome mint priestly emblems

14. Cherd

I only became interested in Roman coins recently, but it's been a long time since I've been this enthusiastic and enthralled with a collecting prospect. The thing that I like most about my collections is showing them to people, and having interesting stories to tell about each example. You can't beat Roman coins for that! Fascinating stories abound!

My initial assumption was that busts on these coins were primarily restricted to the ruling Emperor. But, the Emperor stories that I'm learning about involve mothers, sisters, generals, failed usurpers, etc, etc, and what do you know? There are usually coins of all those people also! How wonderful would it be to tell an Emperor's story and have bust examples for each of the supporting characters! :shame:

But, I have to reign in those types of impulses. I stay more motivated if I'm working toward an end goal, and a focused collection definition is required in order to do that. My current definition may even be a bit over-ambitious. I guess I'll figure it out in time.

BTW, I can't "Keep it legal" just yet. My first coins have only just been put in the mail haha.

15. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I knew Doug's offhand comment about the quincunx would bring these babies out!! :hilarious:

His attempt to do "ancients in 100 coins" has inspired me to come up with a list. I couldn't do 100 coins, but I think 200 is possible. (I got carried away and put too much work into it... so I think I'll post it as a new thread to make sure the work doesn't go to waste. :D)

Pellinore, Orange Julius, TIF and 2 others like this.
  16. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Agreed. The idea makes a good collecting theme, but it should be called what it is--a denomination set. "Types" are something else.

Pellinore likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted