Ancient Trajan Contest

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by RaceBannon, Apr 27, 2013.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Interesting point. The other point that I thought of is what if someone on this forum is bidding on that coin? The ancient coin collecting community is certainly smaller than the US Coin collecting community. So there's probably more than a passing chance that someone who reads this forum may have been interested, or even bid on the coin.

But I can sleep with myself as EBay's about as close as you can get to a true free market, and to my knowledge nobody is forcing anyone else to bid, potential bidders may always excercise their free will not to bid. And many posts from members on this forum actually talked down the coin in question.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

DANG!! 3 dollars off!:confused: Thanks for the contest though!

4. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

One of our members won the contest and someone "won" the coin, but I don't think the coin was worth that much. Maybe one can argue that an auction determines "worth", but if by waiting you can, within a month or two, find a comparable coin that is better for less money, then that particular piece went high--and I think it was. The coin has a lot of problems for a coin over $200.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Less and less I am seeing Ebay as a true market nowadays. Maybe a true market for people unwilling to find any other source, but for the quality the prices are just too high nowadays. I put tother about 45 bids a few days ago, and might win one or two. This is not sour apples, simply an observation. When a coin in lesser condition goes for $650 versus a better one from a reputable dealer going for 350, someone is not doing their homework. Heck, something as simple as a woodworking drawer slide i found online for $8, Ebay price? $35. Same manufacturer, same sku. For some reason, i think there is a large group of people who assume Ebay is the cheapest for everytthing. There was a time that was almost true, but not today.

I still buy when i find price-quality to be n line, but its getting rarer and rarer.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

eBay changed the game when they made their price structure encourage listing items but not penalizing failing to sell. If listing fees were based more on opening bids and sales percentages lower, it might be more attractive to sell there rather than to list hundreds of coins with sky high dream prices over and over.

7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Agreed Ebay does not represent the market at all anymore. I have watched numerous listings that had two or 3 bidders and one bidder that seemed to bid constantly in order to drive up the price, but always seems not to win the item. I have seen this even on some "reputable" sellers. I will get the notification someone listed something and as soon as I click the link there is already 1-2 bids on the item when there is no way someone could have beat me to the listing. Strange eh? I have seen this mainly on a popular seller from Spain.
    Now I wonder how many of the Ebay sellers who are "popular" have a mule just pushing the price up inch by inch. Rather then putting a reserve they will just have a lacky place a comfortable bid.

8. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Just received my 1921-D Morgan but don't have time to take a pic at the moment. I will take one as soon as I get time tonight or tomorrow. Looks original and at least XF/AU ... nice honest coin with character. Thanks for the contest and prize RB!!

9. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Glad you got it! I never could get the tracking # to work on the USPS site either.

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> awesome job, brother Bannon!! (that was a good time ... plus, it was very nice of you)

:high5:

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

12. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

13. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Sorry guys, haven't been on long enough to do all the cropping and whatnot with these photos ... my apologies. Here is the coin I won, not bad for a complete shot in the dark for a guess...

1921DMorganObv2.jpg 1921DMorganRev2.jpg

Thanks again RB!

14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> awesome job, Bannon (class act!!)

Draft saved Draft deleted