Ancient Trajan Contest

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by RaceBannon, Apr 27, 2013.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Alright my fellow ancient forum CT members. Let's liven things up here a bit. There's a nice Trajan Sesertius up for auction on eBay, it's auction time comes to an end tomorrow, Apr 28, 2013 13:45:28 PDT. There's already a bidding war on it, 29 bidders. The price is up to $136.49 as of this posting.

The winner of this contest is the CT forum member who guesses closest to the final price for this auction.
    --Any CT member with at least 10 posts is eligible.

--Guesses are cut off at 1330 PST (1630 EST) tomorrow, to keep people from gaming the bidding right to the end. Typically a lot of the activity happens in the last few minutes. So I'm cutting off guesses 15 min early.

I'd like to give out a prize that is an ancient coin. But I've only been collecting them since the beginning of this year, I don't have many I can spare. I do have lots of US silver dollars though. So the winner of the contest will receive a US Peace or Morgan dollar of my choice. PM me your address and I'll send the coin.

Here's a link to the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAJAN-AE-S...426&pid=100010&prg=1076&rk=5&sd=230898314608&

Guess away my friends! Lets's have some fun.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

$151.89. I wonder how the contest will influence the bids?

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

OK RB, I'll be the first to get in on this. I could wait and see how the bidding is going, but, hey, I'll take a guess now. Based on recent auctions and prices asked on Vcoins, I'm going to say $285.

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hint: tomorrow at 1330 PST, I am going to bid $500 for that Trajan coin ...

Just jokes ... ummm,
    I will guess that $205 will be its price 15 minutes before it sky-rockets to $350!!

=> Oh, and thanks for the contest Brother Bannon (if and when I win, I will donate my prize to Windchild)

6. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

7. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I'll say $ 179.59, i think it's all ready over priced...

8. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

I am going to estimate a final auction price of $235. Thanks for the contest ;)

9. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

I estimate 278.65 thanks for the contest.

10. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

11. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I'll say 215...thanks for the contest!

12. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I'll say 236.01...thanks for the contest RB!!!

13. dustywallen

dustywallen Member

$299.99 thanks

Dusty

14. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

$312.12 and should this be in the contest section?

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

$204 just to see if Steve bids on it to get to his guess. Without the scratches I'd say Bing is close but there are some of us who will stay away from a damaged coin.

16. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Since its Ebay, and my first guess was taken, i will say $258.

Overpriced by at least $100.

17. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

Nasty scratches, patina mostly cleaned off, legends partly worn-out,... 175$ maybe (not that I would pay that price)...

18. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

That was exactly my thinking. It shouldn't sell for $175, but I expect it to go for that or even more.

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Let's try $155.46

20. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Are we playing by standard Price Is Right rules?

ONE DOLLAR, BOB!

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I wish before I bid I would have checked the seller's other listings. What do you make of the number of polished sestertii with already high numbers of bids being offered at regular auction but the larger number of very ordinary late Romans at Buy it Now with prices several times what I might consider appropriate (often $75)?

The more I think about it, the more I think having this contest and drawing attention to this seller may be inappropriate.

Draft saved Draft deleted