Ancient- The Splendor of Yazdegard

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

The last of the Sassanian rulers. Yazdegard III was born in 624 AD and was the grandson of Khusro II. He took the throne in June of 632 at the age of 8. The coin shown to you today is dated regal year 3. Where he is pictured at the age of 11. At the age of 9 the Arabs invaded Iran.As an adult he met several defeats in the face of the Arab advance and subsequent destruction of Persia as it was known. In his final months Yazdegard made every effort to raise armies and all would eventually be defeated or defect. While attempting to gather support in Merv he met his end. He died at the ripe old age of 27, killed for his chain and his purse. His children Peroz III and Bahram VII fled to the Tang court where they lived out there lives as high ranking generals of noble birth in China.
    There you have one of the last Sassanian coins and the last Sassanian.

Sassanian Persia
    (Sijistan)Sistan, Iran
    Yazdegard III (r. 632-651 AD)
    AR Drachm dated ry. 3 (635 AD) mint SK.
    31 mm x 3.86 g
    Obverse: Bust of Juvenile Yazdegard III Pahlavi Legend- Yazdegard, Splendor, Prosperity
    Reverse: Zoroastrian Fire Altar flanked by two attendents.
    Ref: Gobl 234
    Note: Chipped, rusty dies, very scarce 20140907_YazdgardIII_opt.jpg

Collect89, chrsmat71, askea and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Nice write-up and interesting coin! In the west most people seem unaware of these major changes of empires which occurred in the east. Coin may not be in pristine shape, but it is immediately clear the emperor has no beard here, unlike on the majority of these.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice to see a new post from you, Noob!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet n' Sassy addition, A-Noob!!

=> cheers, brother

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice write up and cool coin. Since I have gotten my Shapur I I have eyed these more but I am on the wagon for the month due to a comic book show I am going to at the end of the month.

But I still have plenty to share, just post them when I feel like it "p

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Nice story and coin of a kid noob!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Anoob! What's up? Nice coin.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  9. askea

askea Active Member

Very nice coin and write up, thank you. I have got to get some of these Sassanian coins. I keep looking and looking at them but have yet to pull the trigger. Where is a good place to start? There seems to be quite a variety.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

great coin and write up indeed AN, the last of the sassanians...great piece.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Do you have any idea why so many YIII coins offered are chipped?
    oa1080bb2600.jpg

Ancientnoob, stevex6 and chrsmat71 like this.
  12. Ancientnoob

@ Doug
    I think I have seen coins for sale where the outside border has been clipped down to meet a new Arab standard. If that is true then I think we would see more coins clipped down to a new weight. I think the reason for the damage is some person or persons might have been steeling from the mint. I would like to hear what your theory is. Do you think it is the result of manufacturing process?

@ askea
    Well it depends what you want to do with a collection. If you want one of each emperor than grab the best one at the best price of the guy you want first. I wanted to complete a set of Noteworthy kings, I found the coins of Khusro II especially appealing. The wide thin coins made of fine silver with a unique looking portrait was inspiring. I love great hats.

Persia, The Sassanid Kingdom
    Khusro II The Great King Shah of Persia (590-628 AD)
    Minted during the lifetime of the Prophet Muhammad.
    AR 31.5mmDrachm (4.13g)
    Obverse: Portrait of the King Khusro II wearing great hat. 3 moons and stars in concentric rings.
    Reverse: Zoroastrian Fire temple altar with 2 attendants. Concentrics rings, 4 moons and stars. Khruso.jpg

@ all
    Thanks for comments.

stevex6, askea, Collect89 and 2 others like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My coin and the OP coin struck me as broken rather than clipped intentionally to 'mine' silver. Certainly there are coins reduced by trimming but It struck me that more YIII coins offered are broken. Perhaps they were just made thinner on the edge. Perhaps broken coins of more common rulers are trashed/melted . I do not know.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  14. chrsmat71

these coins are very thin, that was one of the first things that struck me when i picked up my first sassanian coin. AN's coin is less than 4 g at 31 mm....kind of delicate maybe. i actually get nervous handling mine...afraid of dropping it.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  15. Ancientnoob

I could see edges being chipped being in a bag with other coins and the bag being thrown over a wall or something colorful like that.

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Quite an imagination ya got there Anoob.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    Ancientnoob likes this.
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

yesssssss ....

Hey A-Noob => yah, I love it when you serve-up that sweet Khusro-II of yours, because I always get to comeback with my "spike" (and I know you love this lil' sweetie)

Byzantine Empire, Sassanian occupation of Egypt
    AE 12 Nummi / Khusro II

Circa 618-628 AD
    Diameter: 20 mm
    Weight: 8.26 grams
    Obverse: Cuirassed bust of Khusro facing, wearing crown with simple cross, star to left, C to right
    Reverse: Cross on globe between I-B, AΛEΣ in exergue

byzantine khusro a.jpg byzantine khusro b.jpg

;)

=> cheers, my awesome coin-friend (you rock ... and I love your new coin)

Ancientnoob, Bing and chrsmat71 like this.
  18. chrsmat71

here's my khusro ii, a bit rough, but this was my first non-roman coin and my first ancient silver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Chipped Sassanian coins are found more frequently in the eastern part of the empire. Maybe something to do with longer distances travelled, part of the silk road, etc. Or maybe it was not as near a mint to be pulled out of circulation and restruck.

Btw, this last emperor was killed by a local Hepthalite ruler. Yazdigird was looking for support, but the Hepthalite killed him to curry favor with the arabs. At the time the hepthalites were at war with the Turks from the north, and had recently been dispossessed of their lands by the combined forces of turks and sassanids, so the hepthalites were hoping the Arabs would take their side. Some writers said he was killed for his money, but that is more of a writer cool ending than reality.

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted