Ancient => Serpent Anyone??!! => man, I am lovin' this coin (I hope you like it too)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I can't make out the image 7C. Are those snakes or Eagles? What is on the obverse?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I think I see and eagle, maybe holding a snake in its mouth.

4. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

You are right. They seem to be a couple of eagles with long necks. Thanks anyway.

5. Bing

It's not a problem, but I would like to figure out the coin you have. If it's double eagles, it may just be Ptolemy coins. How large and what weight?

6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

It's definitely Ptolemaic. A shot of the obverse, as well as the diameter in millimeters and the weight in grams are required before we can ID it.

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Lifetime Alexander III Tetradrachm

I've been reading this thread with interest but didn't have an ancient coin to contribute to it until this coin arrived yesterday. The monogram on this one is a serpent in a bowl. It's the thing that resembles a "6" to the left of Zeus.

Attached Files:

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

mmmm, serpent in a bowl

9. Ardatirion

Howabout a god fighting a serpent?
    [​IMG]

EGYPT, Oxyrhynchus. 2nd-3rd century AD
    PB Tessera (26mm, 6.53 g, 1 h)
    Athena-Theoris advancing right, fighting serpent
    Zeus Nicephorus seated left
    Milne 5303-6 (same reverse die as illustration); Dattari (Savio) -; Köln 3554 (same dies) ​

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm sorry Doug .... perhaps I have very weak skilz, but regardless, I could not find an example of this coin with, or without a counter-mark (EPIC Fail)

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=56579

Close enough.

12. Ardatirion

Since you couldn't read the date, you might even say this is an epoch fail. :D

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Gawd => apparently I've got Laurel and Hardy judgin' my coins!!??

;)

Doug => good searchin' => yes, apparently there was an extra "delta" underneath the counter-stamp (by the way, my coin kicks that other coin's butt!!)

... thanks for trackin' down that coin for me (sadly, I am not exactly snoop-dog when it comes to trackin' skilz!!)

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The reason some of us hang around these online venues is that it helps to see our hobby from slightly different perspectives. Here, you might say we are mostly at least 'slightly' different. I am slow to realize that there are different people in other phases of the hobby (the guys who try to collect large cents in as close to basal stat as possible come to mind) but ancients seem to attract 'different' people.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> aww shucks ... I think that you're super-cool as well (thanks for helpin' me out, coin-buddy)

:high5:

16. 7Calbrey

Obverse of Greek

Dear Arda and Bing.
    The coin weighs 6.58 grams. Diameter is around 16 mm. It is thick and possibly off- centered. Here is a scan of the poor obverse.
    Charles

Attached Files:

17. Bing

18. 7Calbrey

Bing : Thank you very much. I shall visit the PtolemAE Project Home Page, and keep you informed if necessary.
    Charles

Draft saved Draft deleted