Ancient => Serpent Anyone??!! => man, I am lovin' this coin (I hope you like it too)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Jun 26, 2013.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

gordsero.jpg gordserr.jpg

This is mine. The snake on mine is supposed to be the personification of Agathodeamon, the husband of Tyche. I know the pic looks a little weird, (seller pic), but in hand it really is blue.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Very Cool Coin Steve!

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummmm? .... ummm, I would like to call that coin "my coin"

;)

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey Doug ... yah, I merely looked-up the word/term pentassarion ... the quote shown above was taken directly from (as you like to phrase it) "where the big boys play" (Forvm)

=> as you must know by now, I wouldn't know my assarion from a hole in the ground!!

;)

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

SIDE-NOTE => ummm, has anybody else received the following message:

Database Error
    The CoinTalk database has encountered a problem

I am getting this message pop-up on a few of the threads ... odd? (usually this means I'm about to be disciplined, but for once I don't think I've done anything too out-of-bounds)

7. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I'm getting that on the "state of the ancient coin market" thread. I can get into the thread if I sign out of my account.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks dude ... misery loves company

;)

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am in no way suggesting you used a term incorrectly but just suggesting that it is not necessary to take those terms all that seriously. What collectors and scholars call the coins is not necessarily related to what the coins were called in their day and we can enjoy collecting the things if we call them AE30 or anything else. I am not up on the scholarship on why the Philip is an 8 (therefore dupondius equivalent???).

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey Doug, honestly I believe everything you say (about coins) , so if I ever accidentally quote some other "suspect" source then you have 100% approval to

=> "VETO-STEVO"

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Doug, my favourite brother => hey, here's one for ya:

Here are two Sauromates' coins:

48 units
    Bosporian Kings, Sauromates I
    - Implements of Battle
    Æ 48 Units
    Date: circa 98-104 AD
    Size: 27.94 mm
    Weight: 9.49 grams
    Obverse: TIBEPIOC IOYΛIOC BACIΛEYC CAYPOMATHC, Sauromates seated right on curule chair, holding sceptre tipped with the head of Trajan
    Reverse: TEIMAI BACIΛEωC CAYPOMATOY, Round shield with spear, surrounded by battle axe, horse head, helmet, and sword in scabbard, mark of denomination (MH) below
    Attribution: MacDonald 417
    Description: A nice example with light tooling and smoothing typical for this issue. VF/VF
    sauromates a.jpg sauromates b.jpg

144 units
    KINGS of BOSPOROS
    Sauromates II Æ 144 Units
    Circa AD 174/5-210/1
    Dameter: 25 mm
    Weight: 9.64 grams
    Obverse: Diademed and draped bust right; rosette before
    Reverse: Eagle standing left, head right, holding wreath in beak; c/m: laureate head of Septimius Severus right, within circular incuse
    Reference: MacDonald 544/2; Anokhin 618a; for c/m: Howgego 63
    Other: 12h … Near VF, tan-brown surfaces

Ex Lanz 121 (
    22 November 2004), lot 193
    Kings of Borp Eagle counterstamp a.jpg Kings of Borp Eagle counterstamp b.jpg

ummm, what would that trade in assarions?

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I like the 48 denomination clearly marked MH but the 144 shows only PM. I assume there was a delta under the c/m? It appears that inflation hit between the two dates since both coins weigh about the same but the units tripled. I know nothing about these coins and have none. Way too many are tooled for my taste. That seem to be the national hobby in the region where these are found.

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

okay, thanks

14. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Hey, nice serpent coin. The reverse looks fantastic, the obverse is good too. Don't let the filled die bother you too much, and if it does you can always send it to me. :D

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Doug => I will try to track-down one of these coins that does not have the c/m on it ... then I will answer your question.

ahahahaha => every time that I post that Battle Implements coin you make the same comments about that coin being so "smoothed and tooled" (I should learn to keep that coin outta the rotation, eh?)

=> hey, but thanks for responding to my original question ...

:thumb:

16. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

im liking that coin ...

17. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I have only a few snakes, but there is one that is special to me.

Mysia, Pergamum (Pergamon) 85-76 BC
    Cista Mystica or Cistophoric Tetradrachm
    AR 12.46 x 26 mm
    Obverse: Cista mystica with serpent; all within ivy wreath
    Reverse: bow-case with serpents, PRE monogram to left, KP / PRY monogram above, serpent-staff right.
    Ref: Kleiner 36

Mysia Tet 85-76BC POST.jpg

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We each have things that make us like coins and things that turn us off. I know I have tooled coins (wish I knew which ones they are) but I'm not a tool fan unless the coin is really special. I have shown this before but will point out that I like this coin and it is tooled - very tooled.
    rx2425bb9999zen.jpg

19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Anoob: Any particular reason why it's special besides being a fantastic coin? I've been watching for one of these I can afford.

20. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Nice, strong and well centered strike.The coin is "Roman" but "Still Greek." I like snakes. I owned one then the wife made me exchanged it for a small human.

The coin is very coin like. It has the nice round smooth "presents" of a half dollar.

21. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Serpent Anyone

Hi. Believe me , I had no intention of posting this ancient coin because it is of very poor condition. But watching this thread, I noticed that my coin has 2 giant snakes on the reverse. I have no idea what this coin is. Here is a scan . Sorry..

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted