Ancient => Serpent Anyone??!! => man, I am lovin' this coin (I hope you like it too)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by stevex6, Jun 26, 2013.

1. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Man ... it has been at least a week or two since I've posted a new coin (so I'm lovin' this!!)

MOESIA
    INFERIOR, Marcianopolis.
    Philip II. As Caesar Æ Pentassarion
    AD 244-247
    Diameter: 27 mm
    Weight: 13.73 grams
    Obverse: Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust of Philip II right, facing draped bust of Serapis left, wearing calathus
    Reverse: Serpent coiled left; E (mark of value) to right
    Reference: H&J 6.44.22.2; Varbanov 2100
    Other: 2h ... Good VF, green-brown patina

Moesia Inferior Philip II a.jpg Moesia Inferior Philip II b.jpg

=> hey, I'm really lovin' this ol' serpent coin ... some coins seem to "talk to ya" ... know what I mean?

Cheers brothers (and Sis)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh ... and yes, I admit that there is a slight problem with the obverse legend ... sadly, there is a partially filled die (*sigh, ya can't have everything*)

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

serapis.jpg

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey, try to follow that snake's tail ... it gets a bit confusing (looks like there was a bit of suspect drafting/etching ... very cool)

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Talk to ya later ... my lovely wife needs my attention more than you dudes need my attention ...

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Oh man! Loving that coin! Thanks for sharing Steve.

8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I like - from one of my favourite parts of the world too.

9. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Oh no! There is a slight filled die on an otherwise outstanding coin. I think you are going to have to get rid of it. Sell it and try and find another one. And because I am willing to overlook the error I will offer you 1/8th whatever you paid. :yes::flirty0wink:

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice. Gorgeous.

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks fellas ... yah, this coin brings-it, eh? (ya gotta love the snake/serpent!!)

12. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

If you were to bid on one coin in today's auction, it should have been that one. Congratulations. You will find that it is much, much better in hand. It has none of the smoothing issues that most coins from this region have.

A side note -the serpent is bearded. I always felt that this type should be associated with the "god' Glycon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycon

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> thanks dawg!!

Yah, I fell in love with this baby as soon as I saw it ... awesome, I'm glad that it'll be a winner in-hand!! (thanks for the kudos)

=> keep-up the good work at the ol' dream-job!!

Cheers

:thirst::thirst:

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh man, that is just awesome...great patina, bullseye centered, great details...just awesome!

coin high five!

:high5:

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ol' Glycon is a pretty cool lookin' serpent as well ...

thanks again

16. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_2722.jpg IMG_2723.jpg
    Snakes on a plane ???? Nahhhh just Severus Alexander. :eek:

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Great snake moving left. The ones I have seen seem to be stationary and facing. Beards are standard.
    gi0800bb2445.jpg gi1585bb2952.jpg

18. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_3978.jpg IMG_3979.jpg
    Head-o-snakes.
    Greek Medussa.

19. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

That's what i love about you Steve you always bring your A game..what a awesome coin, great color and details, Wow...Me likes..:thumb::thumb:

20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I had to look-up the meaning of "Pentassarion" ... I found this quote on Forvm

... this is my first/only pentassarion (5 assaria)

However, when I looked-back in my collection I noted that this coin is actually "8 Assaria":

SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria, Philip I
    Æ 8 Assaria
    AD 244-249
    Antioch mint
    Diameter: 30 mm
    Weight: 16.39 grams
    Obverse: Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Philip I right
    Reverse: Turreted, veiled, and draped bust of Tyche right; above, ram leaping right, head left; Δ-Є and S-C across field
    Reference: McAlee 990
    Other: 6h … VF, earthen green patina, areas of light roughness

Syria Gordian Tyche a.jpg Syria Gordian Tyche b.jpg

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have considerable question in my mind just how many of these terms are ancient and how many were created by and for the benefit of 19th century numismatists that felt the need to sound smarter than they were.

We have no idea what the man on the street called the coin worth any number of assarion. In some cases we may have a reference to the use of a word in some ancient text but that is far from proof that the term was ubiquitous as is the current nickel and dime replacing five cent coin and ten cent coin. Do we all even know which of those denominations is marked on the coin using the nickname and which is marked in cents?

What would you like to call these coins?
    gi2200bb2338.jpg gi2220bb2349.jpg
    Both are from Tomis under Gordian III. Both are marked 4 and a half (<) assaria. Some of our denomination names are built from halves so we might name these 'nine halves assarion' pieces but it could be 'a half short of five' or 'four and a half' just as well. Remember the Roman word sestertius is well documented as widely used for 1/4 a denarius but the word really means 'half way to the third'. The symbol used was IIS which would strike us as 2 1/2. All this dates to when a denarius (ten as piece) was ten asses but the names stuck after the coin was revalued to 16 asses. Call it a hemikaitetrassarion if you wish but I'll stick with a 4 1/2 coin.

gi2170b00157lg.jpg

If you know you are right on the above, help me know what to call this coin. The raised lump in the field is clearly a result of a denomination mark having been dug out of the die to revalue the coins struck from it. I would love to know what was removed (D, E or the D< ligature?) and what value that was assumed to leave. I suspect there are scholars out there who may have a handle on all this and it may well be published (probably in a language I don't read). I have not seen the matter addressed beyond sellers descriptions of their coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted