Ancient: Second New Coin - Trajan As

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Whizb4ng, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

This is the second coin I won in the past Triskeles/VAuction sale. I had been looking for my upgrade for my current Trajan since I didn't really like the bust on the one I currently had. The original came when I had just started collecting and was buying almost anything that was ancient. I wasn't truly happy with the coin long term and now I have begun looking for coins that will be with me for many years to come.

I find this coin appealing because of its dark green patina as well as the bust of Trajan. Trajan seems very hit and miss for his portraits on his coins.

This will most likely be my last coin until my birthday. I am going to try and do some serious saving to try and buy a big coin.

Trajan. A.D. 98-117. Æ as (27 mm, 10.46 g, 6 h). Rome, ca. A.D. 106/7.

IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P, laureate bust of Trajan right, wearing aegis
    S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI, S C across field, Roma standing facing, head left, holding Victory and spear; at feet to left, Dacian kneeling in supplication right.

Cf. RIC 486 (no aegis); Woytek 252c; cf. BMC 925-6 (bust); BN 605-6.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I will include the sellers photo's as well
    [​IMG]

chrsmat71, zumbly, stevex6 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice! I like this coin very much; however, having said that, the seller's images make the coin out to be in much better condition than your images. Which is truer to reality? Regardless, I like the coin and think you got a wonderful addition for your collection.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I suspect the white balance needs to be tweaked. I doubt the coin has that purplish hue. At any rate, it's a gorgeous piece. Just how many titles can you fit on a coin?! I have a respectable as of Trajan to share, but I'd rather have yours.

Trajan, AD 98-117
    AE As, 27mm, 10g, 12h; Rome mint: 101-2
    Obv.: IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG GERM PM; Laureate head right.
    Rev.: TR POT COS IIII PP / S-C; Victory walking left, holding palm branch and shield inscribed S P / Q R.
    Reference: RIC II Trajan 434 (p. 275)

trajanas1.jpg

zumbly and stevex6 like this.
  5. Whizb4ng

Some of the blemishes aren't as noticeable on the sellers photo such as the ones on his neck. I just take junk pictures which is why I have been including the sellers photos now.

Working on the whole colour thing. If only my parents lived a little closer, I just bought my dad a fancy camera for Father's Day.

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Atta-boy, Manitoba => you're really crankin' out some winners lately (congrats, great addition)

Whether it's purple or green => this dog can hunt!!

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Just curious: Was the bust you did not like similar in style to John Anthony's as? There are two rather distinct portrait styles common for Trajan. Most people prefer the rounded and refined one like your new coin over the slightly brutish looking other style. If that was the issue, you might want to hold on to the first coin just in case you decide that you want to be able to illustrate both styles.
    My coins are not as nice as yours but these two sestertii illustrate the two styles.

re1710bb0276.jpg re1720bb0208.jpg

chrsmat71 likes this.
  8. Whizb4ng

You are correct Doug. In fact it is the same type as John's. It won't be going anywhere any time soon but eventually I will most likely get an upgrade for it.

9. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

This is quite a nice coin. What is especially good about it is that whoever cleaned it limited his/her efforts to smoothing, and resisted the impulse to re-engrave the devices to make them sharper. It's very well centered and all the detail is nicely visible, plus a nice obverse portrait with high relief and only minor wear for a coin that would have been widely circulated.

A lot of times, small bronzes - asses and dupondii - can be overlooked and thus good-quality examples can be found at excellent prices. This is a great example of one. Nice purchase!

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

PHOENICIA, Tyre. Trajan AR Tetradrachm
    AD 98-117
    Struck AD 110/1
    Diameter: 27 mm
    Weight: 14.44 grams
    Obverse: Laureate head right; below, club left and eagle standing right with wings folded
    Reverse: Tyche seated right, foot set on river-god swimming to right below
    Reference: McAlee 470 (Antioch); Prieur 1498
    Other: 7h ... VF, toned, some porosity, light scratches in field on obverse, slight die shift on reverse

Trajan & Tyche.jpg

Trajan Æ Dupondius
    98-117 AD
    Rome mint
    Struck circa AD 103-107
    Diameter: 27 mm
    Weight: 13.39 grams
    Obverse: Radiate bust right, wearing aegis
    Reverse: Trophy with two shields at base
    Reference: RIC II 586; Woytek 196cA
    Other: 6h ... VF, green patina, numerous cleaning scratches on reverse
    Ex Robert O. Ebert Collection

Trajan Dupondius.jpg

Ummm, yah I admit that this baby "may" have some smoothing, etc?? (sadly, I bought it before I was astute enough to detect the infamous AE Tomfoolery!!)

Trajan, Bronze dichalkon
    Roman Provincial Egypt, unpublished variety

98 - 117 A.D.
    Struck: Alexandria mint (29 Aug 113 - 28 Aug 114 A.D.)
    Diameter: 13.7mm
    Weight: 1.23 grams
    Obverse: no legend, laureate head right
    Reverse: rhinoceros walking left, L I-Z (= year 17) above
    Reference: Emmett 719 var (rhino right) , BMC -, Dattari -, Milne
    Other: gVF, apparently unpublished variety of a rare type

trajan rhino.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    chrsmat71 and Bing like this.
  11. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Beautiful Trajan Whizb4ng! Congrats!

12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I'm not a fan of Trajan portraits in general (especially the ones in the 'froggy' style), but this is a really nice one. Grats!

13. Whizb4ng

Steve I quite like all three of those Trajan's. I really like the types that are heavy on trophies/armour but have yet to buy one myself.

stevex6 likes this.
  14. Whizb4ng

Around the SPQR and the CIPI the cleaner got a little overzealous but that is more nitpicky on my part than anything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted