ANCIENT - Sassanid Yazdgerd

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Windchild, Apr 21, 2013.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

I'll check when I get home, but I believe the die axis is 9-10h... (from the photographs based on the Counterstamp)

4. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Peroz coins countermarked of course is from his wars with the Hepthalites. After he finished defeating the Kidarites, (a war his father started), he turned his eyes on the Hepthalites. After he was defeated the second time, he had to buy his freedom with the promise of donkey loads of coins. This mintage of coins given to the Hepthalites was so massive as to still be found in Afghan bazaars for silver value as late as the 1960's. The Hepthalites countermarked many of these coins, and when they started to run out of them years later made imitations of them, since by then a Peroz dirhem was what "money" looked like.

Khusro II coins being countermarked is due primarily to two reasons. One, the massive quantities of coins Khusro II put out, and the fact that by then the Sassanids and Turks had broken the power of the Hepthalites and taken away their major cities. They still controlled areas, and had a population base, but did not any longer have major cities in which to support their own mint. Therefor they countermarked some of the numerous Khuso II coins for their own use.

5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Now thats an unprecedented circulation run. I would love to see the faces on the US collectors when they hear about a coin circulated from the 470's to the 1960's. Thats absolutely wild. Man I wish I had "donkey loads" of coins!

6. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

WC, cool coin, good details, very nice...:thumb:

7. Windchild

I forgot to bump this, so Ardy could check the date and mint and Medoraman could help with the Gobl number..

If they wouldn't mind, of course.

I am continuing to upload my Ancient coin album to Forvm, and have reached this coin.

I noted that I didn't have a mint, or any further information than the shahanshah (Khurso II), the denomination (AR Drachm) and the origin of the C/S (Hephalite)

8. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Khusro II. AW (Ohrmazd-Ardaxšīr) mint. Dated RY 25 (AD 615/6)? The dates are difficult to read in hand, and your scan isn't doing me any favors. :D

Do note the gouge in the reverse margin, a contemporary Hunnic mark.

9. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Yes. A slash mark on the reverse not only is not a detraction, its a good indicator. Not all countermarked coins had this, but many/most of them did. It must have served some sort of function, since its usually found in only certain sectors of the coin, and only on hunnic countermarked coins.

10. Windchild

Thanks Ardatirion :thumb:

Where is the date, so I can try in hand?

11. MorganDollarTJ

MorganDollarTJ Senior Member YN

i got the same type of coin (with a chip in the bottom) for free at the Chicago International Coin Fair because i am a young collector interested in ancient coins, very cool, around 4-5 grams of silver

12. Windchild

I'm pretty sure that you didn't get this coin, as it is still in my collection...

I am also a Young Numismatist.

And, ofc, we want picts ;) :D

13. MorganDollarTJ

MorganDollarTJ Senior Member YN

sorry i made a typo, i meant the same type of coin

14. Windchild

I know... Sarcasm ;) :D

Draft saved Draft deleted