Ancient Rome: Constantine I AE Follis, London Mint

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I really dislike this Emperor, almost irrationally. But I found a coin of this effeminate bloodthirsty opportunist I could get behind.

London Mint, check the style. So cool! He almost looks like a bloke down at the pub you could have a pint of beer with...almost... except for all that hair jewelry.

3mtDqB6i8xLKmJo49tJSeFf27pkTP5.jpg

Post your Constantine I coins or any London Mint coins you like.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

:D

Cool addition!

00_023.JPG
    Constantine I AE Follis. Struck circa 309-310 AD. Lugdunum mint. IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from the back / SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI, Sol standing facing, head left, chlamys hanging behind from left shoulder, holding globe and raising right hand. F-T across fields, mintmark PLG.
    Lyons
    RIC VI 310

4. Sallent

Sweet, we are coin bros.

randygeki likes this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

That's a very attractive bronze @Sallent and @randygeki .... so stylistically distinctive for the London mint.

Here's two of my favorites of Constantine....Trier and Constantinople:

constantine sol (1).jpg constantine Victory cippus.JPG

Puckles, gregarious, zumbly and 13 others like this.
  6. Sallent

Wow, I'm impressed. Two real winners. Very nice @Mikey Zee

PS: My coin was purchased in London, which is a nice twist. From London, purchased in London, and now in America.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Here's a Constantius I follis from London that I cleaned a bunch of green off of:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I might as well add my London example too....

Hmmm, He must have managed to get into a fight while hanging out in a pub??? Well, someone broke his nose LOL

constantine I London.jpg

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Strange that you are so anti-Constantine. My coin collection actually spurred me to study him a bit more and wrote a couple research papers about him.

Here are a couple coins from my collection. I want to try a new thing, and put a few words about why I wanted the coin.

I wanted one of the Constantine's coins with this very reverse from Rome because it is frequently used when discussing his conversion to Christianity and when it actually occurred. Personally, I think the coins have little to do with how he actually felt about the divine. The fact that Sol's facial features and abdominals are clear is a bonus.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Constantine I, AD 306-337
    Æ follis, 22mm, 2.9g, 12h; Rome mint, AD 314-315.
    Obv.: IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: SOLI INV-I-CTO COMITI, Sol standing half left, radiate, nude but for chlamys over shoulders and left arm, raising right hand commanding the sun to rise, globe in left hand, R over X on left, F on right
    In Ex.: RS

Sadly, my coins from London are only two in number however they're both relevant here:

[​IMG]
    Crispus Caesar, AD 317-326
    Ӕ Follis, 18m, 3.1g, 6h; London mint, AD 318
    Obv.: FL IVL CRISPVS NOB CAES, Laureate draped cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: PRINCIPIA I-VVENTVTIS; Crispus standing right in military dress, holding spear and shield, crescent in left field
    In Ex.: PLN

The coin above was the most recent in my collection of the type. I thought the style was very nice and it fits well with my military theme collection. It was also bought as a companion to the coin below:

[​IMG]
    Constantine II
    AE Reduced follis, 18mm, 3.1g; 6h; London, 318 AD
    Obv.: FL CL CONSTANTINVS IVN NC; Bust laureate, draped cuirassed, seen from back
    Rev.: PRINCIPIA I-VVENTVTIS; Prince in military dress, standing right, cloak spread, leaning on reversed vertical spear, hand resting on shield; crescent right
    In Ex.: PLN

I liked the green, orange, and rust colors to the patina but didn't buy it because of color but because of the reverse and the seller's description:

"Reverse extremely rare for Constantine II, common for Crispus. This is exactly the same way Mars is portrayed with the MARTI CONS legends, so it's obvious that the emperor is being portrayed in the guise of Mars. "RIC rates this as an R4 coin, and in this case it may be accurate. I've never seen another example, in real life, or anywhere on the internet ( @John Anthony )."

Puckles, gregarious, zumbly and 12 others like this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Great job!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  11. ValiantKnight

Thanks! Ah, what expired Verdi-Care can do lol

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I have a few
    20161214_180024.jpg 20161214_173601.jpg vrbs_Constantine & sons Commem. Roma rev. SheWolf6.jpg 20161210_204520.jpg
    But this has to be my favorite of the bunch
    Constantine I-Hand of God[RIC VIII39].jpg
    Not my fave emporor either Sallent, but I don't dislike the guy.

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Haha! Good to know. Have to put some on one of my challenge coins I fished out of a former staff car in Guam.

ValiantKnight likes this.
  14. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

@Sallent Looks like we persuaded you to join the darker (bronze) side. :D Here are a couple of Constantine coins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

It expires? Crap I have 2 bottles, lol.

gregarious likes this.
  16. ValiantKnight

A year from manufacture I believe. I didn't use my bottle again for two years until I used it for the follis and another bronze.

17. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

"I really dislike this Emperor, almost irrationally. But I found a coin of this effeminate bloodthirsty opportunist I could get behind."

Most figures from ancient history to not prompt strong, emotional feelings, but Constantine I is certainly the exception to that rule. It seems that most people either love him or hate him. I guess I am in the rare group that see him in balance, he did some important things that changed history as few people have, like Augustus or Marcus Aurelius before him. However, like them he also committed many excesses that cannot be overlooked.

18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Two Constantine I from London

Constantine I 10.jpg
    CONSTANTINE I
    AE2
    OBVERSE: IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG- Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI T-F across fileds, PLN in ex.- Sol standing left, raising hand and holding globe
    Struck at London 310 AD
    4.0g, 24mm
    RIC VI Londinium 121a/122
    Constantine I 28.jpg
    CONSTANTINE I
    AE2 Follis
    OBVERSE: Constantine I AE3. 315-316 AD. IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG, laureate, cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: SOLI INVICTO COMITI, Sol, radiate, standing left, chlamys across left shoulder, holding globe, right hand raised, S-F across fields, MLN in ex.
    Struck at London 315-16 AD
    3.1g, 20mm
    RIC VII 43
    And a Constantine II from London Constantine II 16.jpg
    CONSTANTINE II
    AE Follis
    OBVERSE: CONSTANTI-NVS IVN NC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left
    REVERSE: BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS, globe on altar inscribed VOT / IS / XX, three stars above, PLON in ex.
    Struck at London 323-324 AD
    2.5g, 19mm
    RIC VII 284

19. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Very interesting OP coin portrait. He already looks world-weary. Since Constantine was "Britain's Emperor," I wonder if the London die engravers had any special insight into what he "really" looked like. I need to pick up more London mint Constantines.

Below is a scarcer reverse type of his--the "Farnese Hercules." I hate the rock-tumbler "cleaning" the coin got from the seller, but these don't pop up every day, so I grabbed it.

CON 1 HERCULES 1.jpg

20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a mighty distinctive portrait, alright.

Young Constantine was the house-pest of Emperor Galerius for a time. He managed to make it back to his father's side prior to Constantius leaving for Britain in 305 to campaign against the Picts.

A Galerius from the London mint.
    Lot - Galerius London.jpg
    GALERIUS
    AE Follis. 9.6g, 28mm. Londinium (London) mint, AD 303-305. RIC VI 33. O: MAXIMIANVS NOBIL C, large-sized bust, laureate and cuirassed, right. R: GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI, Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopiae.

icerain, Ajax, Mikey Zee and 5 others like this.
  21. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

@ValientKnight, you did a great job cleaning that coin. It looked terrible before and looks good now.

ValiantKnight and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted