Ancient Roman

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Dumanyu, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Dumanyu

Dumanyu World Coin Collector

Group,
    I just purchased this coin at auction. It was unattributed, but I may have it ID'd, if the answer to the following question is yes...

Is it on Constantius II that has an obverse legend...

VOT
    X X
    MVLT
    X X X

?

Here's a pic...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Constantine II votive I think, 4th century.

B

4. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

The obverse could be Constantius II, but it could be someone a bit later too. When you get to late Roman coins many of the portraits begin to have a very similar style.

The reverse is a Vota (or Votive) type. It's a "vows" coin. The Vot XX signifying completing 20 successfull years as ruler (Caesar &/or Augustus) and the MVLT XXX means he's vowing to continue to rule for another 10 years.

Here's a pretty detailed thread about them from when I picked up my first Vota coin...
    http://www.ancients.info/forums/showthread.php?t=565

5. Dumanyu

Bone and Brian,

Thanks forthe info, I'll keep at it.

Fred
    WINS 616

6. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Nice adition to your collection :thumb: thanks for sharing it with us :D

De Orc :D

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hello,

From the style, I would go for Constantine II too

Cucumbor

8. Dumanyu

Yeah, That's pretty much where I'd put it too. Kind of a waste though, since I already have one on Con. II in my collection. Just about got a Marcus Aurelius Antonius at auction, but I'll know more about that tomorrow.

Fred

9. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Thank you for the great information. What I find interesting is the crown of the emperor on the coin. The emperor has a laureated diadem.

The coin Brian showed of Gallienus is an interesting contrast. His coin had a crown of radiating spikes. This, I guess, represents the influence of Sol Invictus, the unconquered sun god. The radiating spikes represented the sun. The worship of Sol Invictus became increasingly popular during the "third century crisis," with the many barbarian attacks and internal disputes. Gallienus, an emperor from this troubled period, would have portrayed himself as the human incarnation of Sol Invictus.

Your coin, possibly from Constantius II, reflects the changing times. His being a Christian would have made the portrayal of Sol Invictus inappropriate. Many of the emperors from before the "third century crisis" also wore a similar laureated diadem. His laureated diadem probably was meant to represent a return to a "more secure, wiser rule."

Thank you for this interesting piece of history.

...*guy...

Draft saved Draft deleted