Ancient Roman splurge.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by RaceBannon, Apr 1, 2014.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

I wanted to make it up to Baltimore this past weekend to see what kind of Roman Imperials I could find on the floor of that big show. But I just had too much going on to make the drive up there and back.

So I did some the next best thing...some virtual shopping on eBay to console myself. I stumbled across a seller who seems to be liquidating an old collection. Boy did he have some nice coins! I couldn't stop myself. Here's what I came away with. It's April 1st and I've already shot my budget for April...oh well. I think these examples were worth it.

Tiberius; 22-30 AD
    AE As;11.07 grams 28-9mm; Rome Mint
    Obv: DIVVS AVGVSTVS PATER Radiate bust Augustus right
    Rev: PROVIDENT S C Facade of Ara Providentiae Augusti Double Panelled Door and Horns Above (Sear 1789 RIC I 81)

Tiberius obv.jpg Tiberius rev.jpg Galba obv.jpg Galba rev.jpg

Galba AD 68
    AE As; 10.27 grams 25-7 mm
    Obv: IMP SER GALBA CAES AVG TR P Bare head of Galba right
    Rev: Vesta seated left holding palladium and scepter VESTA in exergue
    (SEAR 2138 RIC 376)
    View attachment 323109 View attachment 323110

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    vlaha, randygeki, TIF and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Fabulous coins, Race. Well-done!

RaceBannon likes this.
  4. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice, especially the Tiberius As. Great detail. I'll bet the Galba was the most expensive of two though. I have a similar Tiberius As which I have cataloged as Augustus but minted by Tiberius. I do not have a Galba As, but I do have a Galba Dupondius.
    Augustus13_opt.jpg
    AUGUSTUS AE As
    OBVERSE: DIVVS AVGVSTVS PATER, radiate head left
    REVERSE: S-C either side of large altar, PROVIDENT in ex.
    Rome 22-30 AD
    10.5g, 28mm
    RIC 81 (tib)

Galba 2.jpg
    GALBA AE Dupondius
    OBVERSE: SER GALBA IMP CAES AVG TR.P, Laur. head right
    REVERSE: PA X AVGVST Pax standing, head left, holding branch and cornucopia, S C in fileds
    Struck at Rome, 68AD
    13.2g, 27mm
    RIC 283

vlaha, randygeki, TIF and 4 others like this.
  6. Bing

BTW, that Nero is very very nice. Is it worth $325? I have one in lesser condition for which I paid $60 shipped:
    Nero2.jpg
    NERO AE As
    OBVERSE: NERO CAESAR AVG GERM IMP - Laureate head right
    REVERSE: No legend - Victory advancing left, holding shield
    Struck at Rome, 65AD
    8.5g, 26mm
    RIC 312, BMC 241, S 1976

I would love to have the sellers coin, but not for that kind of money.

vlaha, randygeki, TIF and 3 others like this.
  7. Bing

Double post

8. Bing

Triple post :confused:

stevex6 likes this.
  9. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Damn it Race! I know this seller very well and you bought two excellent coins. I was considering saving up to purchase the Augustus myself.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    RaceBannon likes this.
  10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

In my estimation, no. It's one of those coins that I see and say, "Well, if I'm thinking about that spending bracket, why not add a few hundred more and hunt down a coin with much better surfaces."

TIF and RaceBannon like this.
  11. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

You are correct. The Galba was the more pricey of the two. If I'm not mistaken, the other coin is a death issue of Augustus minted under Tiberius.

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I think the stuff in the link is expensive & I have no idea what you paid for them as its your money, but cool additions.

And yes the first coin is a death issue of Augustus.

RaceBannon likes this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

wow Bannon => those babies have huge eye-poppin' eye-appeal!! (fantastic)

congrats, dawg!!

RaceBannon likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is all a matter of opinion. I would not pay $325 for the Nero but I doubt that you will find one with detail equal to it for any less although this seller seems better able to overlook condition problems than I. At Baltimore, I saw many dealers of three types. There were several with spectacular coins at very high prices. There were several with ordinary coins at very high prices. There were a few with ordinary coins at reasonable prices. I bought from two sellers of the last group. I considered buying a $1000 coin that was worth every bit of that amount but I decided that I would rather feel able to attend three of four more shows this year and buy a dozen coins at each. I saw a very nice follis of Neopotian for only $35k. I did not buy it but would be happy to put you in touch with the seller if you want it.

That is the whole point of the hobby. We can all find what we want if only we learn the skills of looking in the right place - the place that fits our desires and circumstances.

vlaha, randygeki and RaceBannon like this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

both very nice RB...i love the first one

the seller has an attractive ptolemy in there that caught my attention, a bit high for me but pretty as can be.

RaceBannon likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hmmm, wow => dude, that Nero coin is very cool ... it is quite close to "trigger" (thank God I already own a good-enough example, otherwise I'd be chirpin' and trying to politely snag that darlin')

I hope that our brothers find a couple of nicer examples that are currently up-for-sale ...

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I have an example ... I'm fairly sure that it might be my overall "favourite coin" ... ummm, your link-coin seems amazingly similar (so I love the link-coin)

nero.jpg nero2.jpg

RaceBannon, zumbly, Bing and 2 others like this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Some sweet coins!

RaceBannon likes this.
  19. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Nice scores Race! What beautiful coins.

RaceBannon likes this.
  20. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Sweet Nero Steve!

Yours is nicer. The one in the link has some rim/legend issues on the lower half/obverse. Other than that though she's a dead ringer for your example.

Draft saved Draft deleted