WTS: Ancient Roman Republic silver and bronze coins for sale, $35-$250. Something for everyone!

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by red_spork, Oct 6, 2019.

1. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Hello friends! I've got several Roman Republic coins from my collection for sale today. Payment by Paypal, shipping is $4 in the US. International shipments ask and I can get a quote(it's usually around $13). Willing to make a deal on purchases of multiple coins. All coins come with a lifetime guarantee of authenticity and I will refund the entire price paid including shipping if they are ever found to be inauthentic(but they won't, I wouldn't sell them if there was any question). Thanks for looking.

A beautifully golden iridescent toned denarius of Marcus Furius Lucii filius Philus. This denarius was struck in 119 BC under the moneyer Marcus Furius Lucii filius Philus. The obverse features Janus, the two-faced god of beginnings and endings, transitions, gates, doorways and passages. His two faces look both forwards towards the future and back towards the past. This obverse design was featured prominently on the early Republican quadrigati but only appears on a few denarii. Here it is probably an allusion to the fact that the doors of the temple of Janus were only closed during peace and they'd just been closed. The reverse features Roma crowning a trophy, surrounded by two Gallic shields and two carnyces, the traditional Gallic war-horn. The reverse likely refers to the Roman victories over the Gallic tribes of the Allobroges and Arveni in 121 BC under Quintus Fabius Maximus and Cnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus.
    Taken together this coin basically proclaims that the wars with the Gauls were ended - successfully. $250
    281.1.combined.JPG
    AR Denarius(19mm, 3.86g). Marcus Furius Lucii filius Philus, moneyer, 119 BC, Rome mint. Laureate head of Janus;around, M·FOVRI·L·F, Border of dots. / Roma (wearing Corinthian helmet) standing left, holding sceptre in left hand and crowning trophy with right hand; above, star; behind, ROMA upwards; the trophy is surmounted by a helmet in the form of a boar's head and flanked by a carnyx and shield on each side; in exergue, (PHI)LI. Crawford 281/1, Sydenham 529; RSC Furia 18; BMCRR (Italy) 555; Russo RBW 1105.
    Purchased from Gert Boersema, November 2015

The obverse of this second denarius commemorates the surrender of the Nabataean King Aretas III to Pompey's general M. Aemilius Scaurus in 62 BC. The reverse commemorates a much older event, the capture of Privernum in 329 BC by the second moneyer's ancestor, Gaius Plautius Decianus(The moneyer lists HVPSAEVS but Crawford suggests that this is actually an error made by the moneyer). These two moneyers have two main varieties of denarii and this is the significantly scarcer of the two without "REX ARETAS" on obverse and without the Scorpion on the reverse and while worn is centered better than average on a larger than usual flan. SOLD
    4221acombined.JPG
    Roman Republic AR denarius(18.5mm, 3.89g). M. Aemilius Scaurus and P. Plautius Hypsaeus, 58 BC, Rome mint. Camel right; before, kneeling figure, holding reins in left hand and olive-branch tied with fillet in right hand; above, M SCAVR; on either side, EX SC; below, AED CVR. Border of dots / Jupiter in quadriga left, holding reins in left hand and hurling thunderbolt with right hand; above, P HVPSAEVS; AED CVR in two lines. Below, C HVPSAE COS; PREIVER in two lines. On right, CAPTVM upwards. Border of dots. Crawford 422/1a; Aemilia 9; Sydenham 912; Russo RBW 1518.

I originally thought this third coin was perhaps an official issue overstruck but I now believe it is an Italian imitation that's simply been double struck. The weight is in line with the usual first century imitations. It's a bit overcleaned as can be seen in the photos but overall a decent coin for the price with a good bit of remaining detail. $35
    cfCr56.3McCabeH1.jpg
    Italian imitation of Roman Republic Æ Semis(24mm, 10.52g, 2h). Anonymous, after 1st century BC. Italian mint. Laureate head of Saturn right, S behind/Prow of galley right, S above, ROMA below.
    Ex RBW Collection with envelope though no additional provenance is listd(note: RBW noted this as 56/3 which tends to be the catch-all anon. bronze number. I do not think it is a Cr. 56/3.)

This sextans is from the Sardinian praetor series, struck by a Cornelius in 211 B.C. Most coins from this period can only be dated to at best a 5-10 year window but I've pretty firmly said 211 B.C. above and that's because this "Sardinian praetor" series includes bronzes and very rare silver quinarii in a fairly consistent style with C, MA and AVTR mintmarks(and recently discovered Spearhead) which are commonly found on Sardinia and hoard evidence suggests they were minted in the circa 212-205 B.C. timeframe. We know that the praetors of Sardinia for 211, 210 and 209 B.C. were a Cornelius, a Manlius and an Autronius so we can pretty well say that these coins were minted under these men. Virtually all of these coins are overstruck on something. See here for a wonderful example of such an overstrike. This coin is likely overstruck as well but I could never decipher it - perhaps you can? This coin has a relatively nice reverse with an obverse that is somewhat lacking but all the major details are there. $45
    Cr063.6-1200.JPG
    Roman Republic Æ Sextans(2.35g, 19mm). L Cornelius Lentulus, Praetor of Sardinia, 211 BC. Sardinian mint. Head of Mercury right; above, two pellets / Prow right; above, ROMA; before, C; two pellets below. Crawford 63/6
    Privately purchased from Sam Sloat Numismatics at NYINC 2018

This quadrans is from the Sow series. These coins are commonly misidentified, note that the Sow is above "ROMA" above the prow and often enough it's completely off the prow. I dunno what silly moneyer thought it was a good idea to put his mintmark there. This coin has nice dark brown surfaces overall and has had some corrosion in the past but I do not believe it has any active BD. The whitish green spots have not changed in the 3 years I've owned the coin but I did apply some Verdicare when I received it. $40
    Cr121.6Combined.JPG
    Roman Republic Æ quadrans(18.4 mm, 5.33g). Anonymous(Sow series), 206-195 B.C., Rome mint. Head of hercules right; behind ••• /Prow right; above, sow and ROMA; before, •••. Crawford 121/6; Sydenham 254c.
    Ex RBW Collection with envelope(no additional provenance listed)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Chuck_A and Theodosius like this.