Ancient Roman Coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by The Social Pro, Apr 24, 2012.

1. The Social Pro

The Social Pro New Member

Hi everyone!

I was hoping someone here could help me id these coins. What they are and what their value is. I have several others as well but I figured I would start with these to see if people on here had knowledge of these. Thanks in advance for your help.

Pic 1

Pic1.jpg

Pic 2

Pic2.jpg

Pic 3

Pic3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

How do I know those are Really Roman?

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Sorry but they are all fakes. Ancients dont in terms of the looks like machine made coins do. These all have the same look.

5. The Social Pro

hmmm. It is my understanding that these are ship wreck coins. I understand the machined aspect you are referring to regarding their similarities from one to the next... But if they were made all at once, packaged, then went down in a wreck, they would indeed all have the same or similar look wouldn't they?

6. The Social Pro

Also... Are you making their assessment totally based on the fact they are displayed as a group? So if I would have just shown an example of just one coin would still identify these as fake?

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Other then the 3 different portraits, all the coins match. There is no off-centering, no flan problems, no legend or portrait differences when it comes to the same emperor or empress.

And just by showing 1, yes, after looking at ancients so long some are very obvious fakes, yours look to be tourist fakes.

8. The Social Pro

OK... So I'll run with that for now. So what are they fakes of, and how much would they be worth if they were real?

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

10. The Social Pro

Not in the least bit sir. In no way do I doubt your opinion or your qualifications. I came here with a serious inquiry and am ready to receive all sorts of answers.

All that said, I would not even try to sell these until I knew exactly what they were. If they are replicas, then I would sell them as replicas and clearly state they are replicas.

So... My question remains... What are they replicas of?

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

A few in the 2nd pic looks different.

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Dunno about the first other then its a fake greek. Second pic looks to be of Diocletian, third pics looks like Orbiana.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

They don't look like they came from a shipwreck.

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Now now, they may have come from the shipwreck in Las Vegas, I think its off "Treasure Island". :p

15. The Social Pro

OK so here is a new batch. Here is a closer up of 4 each.

Pic1
    Pic1_216.jpg

Pic2
    Pic2_217.jpg

Pic3
    Pic3_220.jpg

Pic4
    Pic4_211.jpg

Pic5
    Pic5_214.jpg

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Heres a confirmed cast fake to compare with, only assuming its the same reverse though.

Attached Files:

17. The Social Pro

Here is 5 more

Pic 6
    Pic6_219.jpg

Pic7
    Pic7_224.jpg

Pic 8
    Pic8_209.jpg

Pic 9
    Pic9_225.jpg

Pic 10
    Pic10_200.jpg

18. The Social Pro

Last 4

Pic 11
    Pic11_213.jpg

Pic 12
    Pic12_210.jpg

Pic 13
    Pic13_223.jpg

Pic 14
    Pic14_221.jpg

19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Some of those are the wrong metal.

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Were these sold to you as real? Where did you get them? Can you return them?

21. The Social Pro

I didn't pay anything for them. They were with some other things I received in a lot. Not sure where they came from. So by "wrong metal" what do you mean and how can you tell?

Draft saved Draft deleted