Ancient Roman Coin- Any Information?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Foton99, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Foton99

Foton99 Junior Member

Hi all,
    I have a Roman Coin and know next to nothing about it or it's value. Can anyone help. Two photos attached. Foton99

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Arcadius 378-383 AD. D N ARCADIVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right, holding spear and shield, Hand of God above holding wreath / GLORIA ROMANORVM, emperor standing facing, head left, holding standard & resting shield at side, bound captive seated on ground to left, head right, CONG* in ex.

I think

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

CON = Constantinople mint and gamma = third workshop

It is not a rare coin but one of few showing God (Hand) so it may be more popular than some but this worn and scratched so it is not very expensive. I'd guess it is worth what you were willing to pay and no more. There is no market guide for low grade, damaged and common ancients so they sell for what the traffic will bear.

5. Foton99

Foton99 Junior Member

Thank you

thnak you both for your responses. The info is appreciated. Though not worth much, it will make for a nice piece of history for my grand children. regards. Foton99:smile

6. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

You're right about that.

I don't know much about coins but have been reading and reading for the past few months to learn more. Although I own no ancient coins, they're the most interesting for me to look at and read about. Ancient history has always been an interest of mine so seeing some of the depictions on the coins is amazing. Before long I'll probably end up buying select ones.

7. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Rather a nice piece of History to hand down to the grandkids :)

Draft saved Draft deleted