Ancient Roman bronze and 'other' coin? Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by coin0709, May 18, 2013.

1. coin0709

coin0709 CT Supporter

Coin 1 is a small specimen about the size of a US 3 cent silver piece. The 2nd coin is about the diameter of a quarter but looks like it has been polished and/or is comprised of 2 coins soddered together(?). Any input would be much appreciated.

image[2].jpg image[3].jpg image[4].jpg image[5].jpg image[6].jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I do not know the second coin at all. The first coin looks like an imitation of a very common LRB (late Roman bronze). Why someone might make an imitation of a very low cost coin is beyond me. I may be wrong, so lets wait till others chime in.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The first is probably a Constantine dynasty bronze - I can make out ST in the obverse legend, so that's a bit of a clue.

It's a cull, and not worth selling, however. I don't think it's an imitation - just very worn. The reverse type looks like it might be two soldiers with standard.

I don't know anything about the second. Looks Eastern, maybe Indian. I don't like the way the flan looks as if it had two halves - that suggests electrotype replica to me.

5. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

Second look like a [very crude !] modern AE imitation of a Judaean AR shekel...

6. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted