Ancient plagiarism/copy?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Markus1959, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Was looking through a Gallienus webpage and ran across this coin. Don't know if plagiarism is the correct term as that replies to copying words. And don't know if the US mint used the image purposely but sure does look similar!! (pictures taken from the internet).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spirityoda and chrsmat71 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Plagiarism? Nah...shaking hands goes way back. All modern coinage draws heavily on Roman types.

4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Hardly any image is a new idea anymore. I remember when KY used to have a picture of 2 horses in the middle of the license plate, and someone claimed they had taken a picture that looked like it in the past, so they had to change the design.
    [​IMG]

5. Markus1959

I'll be darn, I just couldn't think of any other modern US coinage that resembles an ancient.

6. Markus1959

Unbelievable - Like there aren't millions of pictures of Mares running with their colts??

[​IMG]

coinman1234 and spirityoda like this.
  7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Gallienus took his reverse design from a denarius by Decimus Junius Brutus in 48 BC. I would guess there are others.

Cr450.2.jpg
    RR denarius, 48BC, Rome
    Obv - PIETAS behind, bare head of Pietas right.
    Rev - ALBINVS BRVTI F, clasped hands holding winged caduceus.
    Crawford 450/2;HCRI 26;Sydenham 942;Postumia 10.
    Beautiful iridescent tone. The moneyer, Decimus Junius Brutus, is better known to us than are most moneyers as he saw extensive service under Caesar during the Gallic Wars and was later made governor of Transalpine Gaul. Additionally, he was made Caesar's heir should Octavius reject the inheritance. Despite the favor Caesar showed him, he was amongst the conspirators in his assassination (he should not be confused with M. Junius Brutus, however, who was one of the principals of the conspiracy).
    Ira & Larry Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, Inc.
    http://www.goldbergcoins.com/

Bing, Mikey Zee and chrsmat71 like this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

All circulating and most commemorative US coins are variations on Roman themes. Bust of ruler or personification (Liberty) on obverse? The Romans did that. Lettering around the edges? Romans did that also. Dates on the coins? Romans (although according to different calendars). Seated or standing personifications on the reverse? Romans. Buildings? Romans. Busts left, right, facing, jugate? Romans. Eagles? Romans. Wreaths? Chinese. (Haha, just kidding - ROMANS!)

And the Romans were inspired by the coinage of earlier Greek cultures, which had come up with all of those themes in one form or another, long before the She-Wolf suckled Remus and Romulus.

Orfew, rrdenarius, KIWITI and 3 others like this.
  9. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I think the Ike dollar obverse looks a lot like Consul Aulus Postumius Albinus on the obv of a coin by a moneyer with the same name in 48BC
    Cr450.3.jpg coin sold by Münzen & Medaillen AG Basel
    us_ike_dollar.jpg
    the reverse of the Mercury dime looks like the center of the reverse of a coin by C. Norbanus in 48BC
    Cr457.1.jpg coin sold by ArtCoins Roma s.r.l.
    Merc.jpg
    I tell kids at our youth auctions that the Ike dollar is the ugliest US coin.

Orfew likes this.
  10. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Heraldic Eagle from early american coinage...and early Roman coinage...
    Greg5Dollar5.jpg image01779.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted