ANCIENT- Nice Persian Siglos- 485 BC

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

For years I looked for an Early Persian Siglos, from the time of the Battle of Thermopylae, and the Greek War with Persia. Many of the coins available on the market are low grade, very worn and/ or very counter struck, they can be had for a better part of $100. Many of the nice examples command very nice prices for siglos of any era, and any type.

I finally pulled the trigger after months of stalking this piece and watching the price drop and drop. I was finally able to work out a reasonable deal with a very "offical" firm in Beverley Hills. The coin came with a very nice COA signed and on very very nice thick textured stationary.

Achaemenid Kings of Persia
    Time of Darios I to Xerxes I c. 485-450 BC. Time of the War with Greece
    AR Silver Siglos 17 mm x 5.51g
    Sardes Mint
    Persian Hero King in Kneeling -running stance right, holding spear and bow
    Reverse: Incuse punch, bankers mark.
    Ref: Carradice Type IIIa (pl. xi, 14); Carradice, " Two Achaemenid Hoards", in NumChron 1998, 136-7.
    Note: Near VF, Good Metal.

Siglos485BC_opt.jpg

The Coin portrays the king as the Lord of the Bow, one of the kings offical titles, preparing to throw a spear while running and shooting an enemy with an arrow.

The coins are an early continuation of the first ancient coins struck by Croesus, made for circulation in the "Greek" world.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

This is one of those times were a foreign word describes things more succinctly than an English can. The German's would describe what the king is doing on the obverse as "knielauf."

4. Ancientnoob

Interesting...I'm gonna punch that into the google translator.

5. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Interesting pickup Anoob. Could only imagine the world of war that this coin was struck into.

6. Ancientnoob

Came out " knee-term" ...interesting.

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

running man a.jpg running man b.jpg

=> hey Noob ... I gots myself a Runnin' Man as well ...

congrats!! (great coins)

8. Ancientnoob

I like you counter mark.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are 4 poses of these. The first (I don't have) is rare and shows the king only from the waist up. Second shows him drawing the bow. Third has a spear. Last has a dagger. I have seen a couple of the first but they are always way out of my price bracket.
    http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=662515

g01440b00452lg.JPG g01670bb0091.jpg g01680bb0124.jpg g01700bb0580.jpg
    Also rare are fractions as small as 1/12 siglos pieces.

10. Ancientnoob

Wow top left is something else, great example,wow.

These are great coins. Much heavier then they look. I really want ALL the poses now, thanks Doug.

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I eventually want to own all of the different versions as well ...

Sadly, I had a chance to win the "dagger version", but ended-up being outbid (yah I know => "me" ... outbid!!?)

:eek:

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As you bid consider looking for coins with full flans and centering that allows the important parts to be on flan. My drawing bow coin is as well centered as any I have seen and shows shoe detail most lack. My spear coin has lost its crown points. Dagger coins are hard to find with full dagger arm and full bow. We each must decide whether we pay extra for unworn coins or for coins that show the type well.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/acmshow.html
    The dagger type I bought as recorded in my 'Show' page has the nicest crown I have seen and little else. That is why I later sold it (rather few people own coins I had once assigned collection numbers to but this coin lacking the dagger grated on me so it went away). I find this series very interesting.

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

here is the coin that "I DID NOT WIN" ...... *sniffle, sniffle*

=> ... as we were approaching the finish-line, a shot rang-out and I crumpled to the ground like a new-born fawn taking its first steps!! ..... when I eventually figured-out what had happened, the lovely coin was in another's hands!!

Running Man Dagger and Bow.jpg

... ummm, do one of you now possess this beauty?

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Steve, how could you! Note the detail on the face, knife, clothing, crown and quivver. The bow could be better but this was a nice coin.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I'm very sorry that I let everybody down (*sigh*) ... I will try harder in the future to blow even more cash!!

:so-sad:

16. Ancientnoob

Well I like mine - $100.

17. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Cool coin!

:thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted