ANCIENT - Nero Sestertius!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Windchild, May 2, 2013.

1. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

@Doug

Which makes mine what mint?

That's not what I meant...

It's so unlike you to miss a plug...

I got a message that said: "We can't wait to see [you] this summer"

But other than that convincing line in a message about application fees, nothing...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Windchild

That makes sense!

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I do have several sub-collection goals and that is collecting various reverse types for many rulers. For example, I have 6 Constantine I, 3 Gallienus, 3 Valerian I, 3 Salonina, 2 Trajan, etc. One day I will get a few Gallienus animal series reverse types.

5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Neat Big coin! I don't have one. Nice pick up.

I also notice you got a huge response to your thread also nice. :yes:

I find it interesting how many of you have a collection goal. Trying to get "x" in "x" metal. What happened to "willie-nillie" buy coins? ;)

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see no globe so that would make it Rome mint.

7. Windchild

Thanks Doug! :)

That's for the rest of my collections..

Willy-nilly in large boundaries..

Bar my Sassanid Fire-Altar set...

Which will be close to Doug's at:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/gadpaisa.html

8. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Aww I have some dif. types also. Welcome to the club!

9. Windchild

3 currently for me...

It's an interesting set taking place over a very long time. ;)

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

"Willy Nilly" seems a harsh term for what I would consider taking advantage of targets of opportunity. Modern/US collectors need to have a goal and standards in mind because a large dealer or medium size coin show is likely to have just about everything and most things in some quantity. An ancient collector who has a local shop to visit is fortunate enough just to have a place that may have a dozen or two coins. Expecting that shop to have something on a specific want list is pushing your luck. That is why my direction of collecting favors "coins I like at prices I can afford." I will go to a show later today. It was pointed out in another thread here that I could use a sestertius of Nero from the Lyon mint. Chances that I will see one at that show is probably under 5%. Chances that I will see one that I would consider buying at 50% of the asking price approaches zero. I will have a better time at the show if I keep a very open mind as to what I am willing to consider buying.

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

As you've probably ascertained, I have pretty much "zero-boundaries" in every aspect of my life, including my coin-collection!!

=> coincidentally => you will find "Stephen William Nillie" on my birth certificate!!

12. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That's a very good coin, WC. I would gladly have that in my collection. Well-done!

13. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I have to comment that this appears to be a very nice bronze, and doesn't appear to have any tooling or even smoothing (a minimal amount of the latter would be acceptable in most bronzes). Despite the somewhat rough surfaces the devices and legends are clearly readable.

Did you purchase this directly from a dealer, or through an auction?

14. Windchild

I purchased this directly from a dealer.

In hand, it is a much nicer bronze... (especially the surfaces)

The dealer didn't take the best pictures (and I don't have time to retake them currently)

Draft saved Draft deleted