ancient mini-bull

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chrsmat71, Oct 15, 2014.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

check out this cute little coin...

[​IMG]

Nagas of Narwar (Padmavati)
    Ganapti Naga
    circra 340 AD
    AE fractional unit (1/2 kakini or 10 ratti?)
    o: bull in circle of dots
    r:Maharaja Sri Ganendra in a circle in Brahmi (right side up? upside down? no clue)
    9.5mm
    1.0g
    Mitchiner 4739-4753

with a cent....

[​IMG]

this coin has been sitting on ebay for a reasonable price for weeks. finally picked it up as a consolation prize for loosing another auction. neat little coin. there isn't much known about the nagas of narwar. they were in northernish india and seem to have been forced out or assimilated by the guptas...i don't really know. maybe AN, THC, MED, or one of you other eastern coin gurus can shed some light on these guys?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Cool pickup. Ive done that, felt the need to get a consolation prize :wacky:

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I've seen a lot of these lately but few as well centered. Mine is not as nice and was $6 a few years ago.
    oo3530bb2474.jpg

randygeki, swamp yankee and stevex6 like this.
  5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats a neat little coin

6. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

These are indeed fractional kakini of the Nagas Narwar. Padmavati was their capital. It is located in Madhya Pradesh in central northern India. The nagas were a bit of an "in-between"dynasty. Before various empires fought over this territory, most important the Western Satapas and the Satavahanas. Their end came with the expansion of the Gupta empire.
    These coins are still plentifull available quite cheap, but as always nice ones are scarcer. The most prevalent come in thee sizes and designs and are attributed to three consecutive kings.
    - There are big bull coin weighing close to 2 grams. These are considered to be issued by Bhavanaga and likely are the oldest. These also have a trident in the center of the inscription side.
    - The small bulls are attributed to Ganapati. These weigh below 1.0 gram.
    - Then there are coins with on one side an 8-spoked wheel and circular inscription on the other. These are Devanaga.
    Usually you need multiple coins to be able to read the entire inscription. On Doug's coin, reading clockwise between 6 and 11 o'clock, there is "RaJa Sri" the rest of the name is not readable.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great little coin, Chris, and thank you for the context, THC.

I like collecting miniscule bronzes, so I looked a few of these up. I don't think the prices are reasonable at all. :confused: But I have no idea of their scarcity or what sort of demand collectors have for them...

Yours seems to be in quite a high grade for the type.

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

That is a sweet lil' doggie, eh? (I really like your new addition)

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Nice example for the type Chris.

Yeah, I try to get into Indian numismatics, but for some reason I do not get much traction. I have some huns in India, western satraps, some gupta, etc but for some reason its just hard to keep things straight. Maybe its not growing up hearing about these great civilizations to put them in context, but I just cannot seem to keep Indian civilizations straight in my head like I can other areas of the world. Maybe I am just getting old, or have too many other collections going on. :(

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well, Chris set me up with his super secret source of cheap kakini, so I just added one to my collection. This is the seller's image tweaked with a black background. I have no idea which way is up on the reverse...

minibull.jpg

Can't wait to see it in hand. Thanks for the help, comrade!

chrsmat71 likes this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

awesome! glad i could be a bad/good (? not sure which) influence. :p

that's a nice one also, i like how the horns are bit more clear.

John Anthony likes this.
  12. Napoleon

Napoleon New Member

If its 1gram, I think its the ¼kakini.
    ¼ Kakini (200 - 300)

Draft saved Draft deleted