Ancient & Medieval Coins Canada Auction coin arrived!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jay GT4, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Well that was fast! Came in the mail two days ago! The pic is deceiving. In hand the surface is very reflective, almost mirror like. The X is also visible in hand. I may shoot it again but it'll do for now. What a bargain! Thanks!
    DomitianIMPXI.jpg

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-151747

RIC 429 Domitian Denarius

IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P V
    laureate head right.

IMP XI COS XII CENS P P P
    Minerva standing left, holding thunderbolt and spear; shield at feet to right.

Rome, 86 AD
    3.4g

RIC II 429 (C).

Ex-Coast to Coast coins 2006; Ex-Ancient & Medieval Coins Canada Auction 1, Lot 175

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Congrats!!! Your new Domitian denarius is downright delish!!!

Paul M. and Jay GT4 like this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very nice Jay. I love the nose on that portrait.

5. Jay GT4

Well, this is why you shouldn't just copy and paste attributions. Thanks to David's eagle eye it's actually RIC 447 (R)!

Thanks David!

Paul M. likes this.
  6. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Not only the nose, the whole portrait is wonderful, perfect lettering and the folds of Minerva's skirt are just exquisite, Congrats!

I am waiting for mine to arrive. Can't wait to finally hold it in my hands.

It seems the mail from Canada to the US is not so fast as I thought, and of course, it is holiday season, and there is certainly a lot of mail to deliver :(

7. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

My recent purchases from Canada have taken nearly a month to reach me in Tennessee. So I wouldn't be too impatient...

cmezner likes this.
  8. cmezner

Thank you so much Gavin for the info, good to know, else I would think they got lost

9. Jay GT4

Not to mention we had a rotating postal strike here in Canada. Been waiting over a month for coin from Europe.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Apparently David and I are seeing things... I'll have to exam more closely in the morning. Is it really TRP VI or just V? COS X or XI or XII?

10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Yes, we are having a nice nerdy PM discussion about this wonderful coin! My one concern was the last numeral/dot in the obverse legend. However, I think you are safe to keep it RIC 429. A lovely piece regardless!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  11. Jay GT4

It is fun figuring this stuff out. Back to 429 he goes!

David Atherton likes this.
  12. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Mine has not arrived yet - unacceptable!!

Haha - just kidding :). I am in Canada as is Jay GT4 .. so I expect mine very soon (probably over the next couple of days). While the postal strike is over here there is still backlog (and Christmas packages) clogging things up. But I am getting mail so things are moving..

13. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I came home from work today and was shocked—SHOCKED, I SAY!—to find my AMCC coins in the mail. From Canada to Tennessee in just a few days? Only Santa could do better. Maybe you can be a little impatient after all. 82DF80C4-797F-4B11-B51C-B2D4781D21E1.jpeg

14. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

15. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

(nice keychain!)

16. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

It’s a little « souvenir » from a trip to Rome..but it’s maybe made in China !!!

Jay GT4 and Justin Lee like this.
  17. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Received mine today ...awesome. will post ASAP.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  18. cmezner

Just arrived!! :):)
    After expecting a month-long wait, they surprised me today. I am walking on clouds :happy:

In hand they are even much better than the pictures, just gorgeous:)

Thank you Severus Alexander for making this possible!:happy:

The coin is the right one but the included description doesn't seem to be right, they must have put the wrong description into the slip. It says "Seleukos I Nikator, in the name of Alexander III of Macedon", "Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin" and "Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, holding eagle and scepter, MP monogram in wreath in left field, MI below throne", Babylon I mint, struck ca. 311 - 300 BC, which clearly doesn't match the coin. The weight and diameter don't match either

The correct description, as can be seen on the biddr.ch site for Lot 54 is:
    SELEUKID KINGS of SYRIA, Antiochos I Soter, AR Tetradrachm
    Seleukeia on the Tigris, 281-261 BC;
    29 mm, 16.81 g
    Ref.: SC 379.6
    Obverse: Diademed head of Antiochos right, border of dots
    Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY Apollo Delphios seated left on omphalos, slight drapery on right thigh, holding arrow, resting hand on grounded bow; monograms to outer left and right. The monograms are numbers 97 and 139 in "Numismatica Hellenica - A catalogue of Greek coins"
    upload_2018-12-12_16-49-16.png

The second one (it came without description, but I have it from the site) is:
    AR Drachm, Illyria, Apollonia, ca. 64 BC, moneyer Aristen and magistrate Psilloy
    17 mm, 2.71 g
    Ref.: Class A5Lc1, Ceka 22;
    Obverse: APIΣTHN, cow standing left, suckling calf; to left, long torch; in exergue, wreath.
    Reverse: AΠOΛ, double stellate pattern with petal-shape rays; around ΨΥΛ ΛΟ ΟΥ
    The ethnic attribute is the abbreviated name AΠOΛ for Apollonia
    upload_2018-12-12_16-53-25.png
    The Seleucid coin is replacing the one I showed sometime ago that is of very low weight and considered fake.

19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Outstanding job getting those lots in the mail, Sev! Mine are on track to arrive in a day or two :).

20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'm expecting mine any day now. Hopefully in today's mail!

Severus Alexander likes this.
  21. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Just saw this thread now (haven't had much time to check the forum...) very happy that you're pleased, Jay! :happy: And also happy that your decision with David was that the auction description was correct. :bucktooth: After cataloguing 492 coins in a fairly short time I have much more sympathy now with those who make the odd mistake!

Yes, I included the old tags for provenance info, but the auction description is what you should go with. (That said, had I remembered that the tag with your Antiochos was so inaccurate I probably would have just removed it when mailing.)

It's great that the coins seem to be arriving in good time. It's very nerve-wracking waiting in hope that everyone will be happy with their coins. I suppose it's inevitable that one or two won't be happy with something or other, but so far so good...

Draft saved Draft deleted