Ancient: May coin show results #1 - Demetrios Poliorketes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, May 3, 2013.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Today was the small local club show in Richmond VA. There were 3 or 4 ancient dealers of which I patronized two. As promised, I tried to keep an open mind and bought a few things that spoke to me. I'll start here with the largest, ugliest and most expensive of the day's haul.

Demetrius Poliorketes, Macedon, 294-288 BC AR tetradrachm
    Victory on prow / Poseidon
    g02187bb3051.jpg

This is a relatively common coin and probably one of the worst ones I have seen but those factors made it fall in my budget. I don't get many big Greek silvers. The legends are quite weak and I have not convinced myself of the mint yet (mark in reverse right field). The surfaces could be better but the only part that really bothers me are the scratches at reverse left. The photo fails to give a good view of just how thick and high relief this coin is.

g02190bb0778.jpg

The type comes in some smaller silver denominations as well as the AE13 version I have owned for 20 years.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions Doug. I wish I could afford big silver greeks too & I would gladly add yours, scratches and all.

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

... ahaha ... ummm, you don't sound too happy with this purchase??

=> I think that the coin rocks!!

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I find this coin appealing even with the scratches, and it seems to have decent relief. Depending on the price, I think I would have been attracted to it as well.

6. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Doug, very nice pick ups, half the fun is looking through all those coin box's till something jumps out at you, i want to get one of those prow coin's...:thumb:

7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Definitely a nice coin, rough porous surfaces, scratches and all make it a nice looking ancient coin!

I'm like a lot of other people here that mentions that they can't afford these coins. Besides that, I just ain't really to collect Greek coins.

8. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Doug,
    You say that it is relatively common but is still seems that the tetradrachm is less readily available than the Bull's horn diademed, Poseidon tetradrachm. A quick peruse showed me a few of the diademed variety for sale (of which I have an example) but no tets of the prow variety. There are a few drachm and fractions around. I think that you have made a very nice purchase indeed. The prow type always seems to carry a premium over the diademed type and in high grade quickly become prohibitively expensive.
    Congratulations.
    Many happy returns btw.

Martin

Draft saved Draft deleted