Ancient Kook Of The Week:Artabanos II

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikjo0, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Here is a silver coin from the first century that was issued by Artabanos II,a genuine eccentric,which is a polite way of saying he was a bit" looney tunes".:rolling: He ruled an area of the Mideast that is basically where modern day Afghanistan is today.Here is his bio which I am copying from a Parthian coin website:
    "Artabanos II
    Reign 10 - 38 AD. Originally king of Media Atropatene. Spent most of his reign fighting civil wars. At one point after being forced off the throne (Tiberius picked a grandson of Phraates IV to install), Artabanos had to live with the tribesmen east of the Caspian Sea, clad in rags and eating only what he could catch. This is a few years after Jesus is put to death. Artabanos raised an army among the Dahae and, wearing his rags for effect, recaptured the empire. To celebrate, Herod Antipas of Judaea throws a big party and invites the Romans, too. Artabanos is so happy he gives the Romans a seven cubit high Jewish giant as a present. He is shortly deposed again, his flair for the dramatic probably wearing very thin."
    This might be a weekly thing...kook of the week..there will be a quiz;)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Kewl :)

B

4. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Thank you for this :thumb: I have one of these in my collection but was a bit unsure if that is who it was :D

De Orc :thumb:

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

De Orc..use this link to find your coin.They all look similar but this should do the trick.
    http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/parthia/parthian4.html

6. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Thanks Mate appreciated :hug:

De Orc :kewl:

Draft saved Draft deleted