Ancient - JQ Adams Vepsaian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It finally arrived today. My newest Vespasian. It has a pedigree that's nearly as neat as the coin itself and, truth be told, is the strongest reason I went after this coin. Doug presented a coin (I can't remember which, sorry Doug) with a similar provenance.

This is a Vespasian Dupondius - sold as very fine. This is from lot 785 of the John Quincy Adams sale of the Massachusetts Historical Society (Stacks, 1971) purchased by Christian Blom. C. Blom sold it to Mendel Peterson of the Smithsonian Institution who sold it to Gene Brandenberg, Trojan Antiques. I should mention that Doug was able to check the results of Stacks 1971 and provided this:

So, without further ado, here is my newest addition which was either in the hands of JQ Adams himself or one of his immediate descendants:
    Vespasian 10 OBV.JPG Vespasian 10 REV.JPG Vespasian 10-1.JPG Vespasian 10-2.JPG

VESPASIAN Æ Dupondius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES VESP AVG P M T P COS V CENS, radiate head left
    REVERSE: FELICITAS PVBLICA S-C, Felicitas standing facing, head left, holding caduceus & cornucopiae
    Struck at Rome, 74AD
    10.2g, 28mm
    RIC 716, (RIC [1962] 555), Cohen 152, BMC 698 Ex: J.Q. Adams, Ex Massachusetts Historical Society, Ex Christian Blom, Ex Mendel Peterson of the Smithsonian Instute, Ex Gene Brandenberg of Trojan Antiques.

I should have paid more attention when we were talking about how to list provenance. If someone wishes to correct it, please do so.

Man, I'm so excited to be the new owner of this impressive coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats, Bing! A great looking coin indeed with a very desirable provenance.

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic! I'm envious of that coin and its pedigree.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Nice coin I would have bought it if it were not a JQA. The portrait style is exceptional. JQA had many nice coins and many like ours. I regret he did not have Internet access so he could join Coin Talk.

Mine (lot 943 part):
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/f84.html

Ancientnoob and Jwt708 like this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Really a great coin, pedigree or not!

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Magnificent addition, ol' boy (congrats)

Super eye-appeal => a very handsome and rugged looking coin (sweet)

.. the dude has a very sweet chin for coins!!

8. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice coin, I'm slowly getting influenced into buying more Roman coins. My bank account is crying. :p

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Awesome coin on multiple levels!

10. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow jw, just think that coin was rolling around in JQA pockets, he probably cracked it out of a old NGC case, JK...:D great lookin' coin, very nice....

Ancientnoob and TIF like this.
  11. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Wow! Bing that is super cool coin!!! Congrats!!!

12. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Man that's soooo Phat! A JQA coin. The fact that they are ordinary coin and the condition is akin to the average man, he just moved far up my list of Presidents I like.

13. Bing

Thanks everyone. I'm still so stoked over this coins pedigree. It's hard to believe I own something that JQA (or his relatives) once owned. And I got it at a 27% discounted price. What's not to like?

Jwt708 likes this.
  14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I imagine it must be a crown jewel in your collection. I appreciate a good pedigree myself, but I have nothing approaching JQA.

15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i can hear him now...

[​IMG]

"just received from courier, the most esteemed gentlemen i purchased this from yielded a wonderful price. i hope louisa does not not discover my acquisition. can i get a "woot woot" for this one my most gracious fellow numismatists!?"

agree with DS..its would be a great coin without the pedigree, super color and nice and chunky. but how cool that is was a JQA coin! neat!

stevex6, zumbly and John Anthony like this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very cool Bing. Didn't know he collected.

17. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Wonderful coin indeed! If you ever decide to sell, I'll offer you a very nice profit :)

Ancientnoob likes this.
  18. Bing

Now you're sounding like me. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

19. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

My cuz knew how to pick them. I would love this in my collection. I had to settle for a coin in much rougher condition due to a limited budget. A001.jpg
    Maximian bronze follis
    ric vi 31b
    ex John Quincy Adams Colection

Bing likes this.
  20. Bing

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'll not pay you as much but I'll say thanks really nicely.

stevex6, Bing and Ancientnoob like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted