Ancient India - Snack-sized AE's

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, in addition to my gross excess of Indo-Sassanian drachms, I also have a working "type set" of ancient India which ultimately merged with my collection if modern India. I mostly gravitate toward silver coins, especially because the majority of Indian bronzes from before the Princely State age are in wretched condition. But I saw a seller listing a few bulk lots of one area I needed a lot more coverage on - the tiny and wretched AE's of the post-Mauryan age.

For context, the Maurya empire was founded in 322 BC after the Maghada throne was usurped by Chandragupta Maurya - he had very little difficulty filling the power void in India after Alexander severed his supply lines to return to Babylon. By the time of Ashoka, the Maurya empire had become the largest singular political entity ever to exist in the subcontinent. Ashoka unfortunately was succeeded by weak and ineffective kings, and in the midst of local rebellions, the Maurya empire shattered into local kingdoms while its core was usurped by the Sunga empire.

Numismatically, the bedrock of the Maurya economy - the silver punchmarked karshapana - was initially maintained by the Sunga, but turmoil and mismanagement led to rapid debasement, and ultimately to the abandonment of punchmarked coins in favor of cast or die-struck coins. Aside from the Sunga empire, there were scores of coin-issuing kingdoms which were ultimately either absorbed into the Greek or Scythian kingdoms to the north, or the emergent Satavahana empire in the south.

Keep in mind, this is neither comprehensive, nor are these coins the epitome of what exists on the numismatic market. These were bargain bin purchases, a little less than $1 each

Kausambi AE cast "karshapana"
    2nd century BC
    Obv: "lanky bull" standing left, swastika above
    Rev: Bodhi tree in railing, ujjain symbol, hollow cross
    Kausambi AE bull tree cross ujjain.jpg

Saurashtra AE 1/2 karshapana
    Obv: Swastika, ends terminating in taurine symbols
    Rev: Shiva and six-arm symbol above indrahvaja (standard of Indra) India Saurashtra AE swastika.jpg

Ujjain region, pair of square (1/16th?) AE karshapanas, incredibly small just 5x5mm and 0.4g each
    Obv: Bull or elephant standing right
    Rev: circles
    India ujjain Satavahana 1-8th karshapana.jpg
    India Ujjain Sunga 1-8th karshapana bull circles.jpg

Similar, but round flan and more clearly an elephant
    India early satavahanas elephant ujjain.jpg

Ujjain kingdoms or early Satavahanas, not 100% sure of ID or symbology
    Elephant standing left, crescent above
    AE Ujjain region elephant.jpg

Also in the same lot was an early medieval
    Kalachuris, Krishnaraja
    550-575
    Obv: Nandi reclining right
    Rev: Sri Krishnaraja above schematized temple complex
    Kalachuris krishnaraja AE nandi.jpg

This one is evading me for now!
    Post-Kushan, Kidarites or Kashmir Smast?
    About 12mm x 1.98g
    Obv: Lakshmi seated
    Rev: Ta?
    Indian AE Lakshmi.jpg

There's a bunch more from the lot, but most are nearly featureless - I'll see if I can get better pictures later.

In the meantime, let's see anything related!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

@Finn235, interesting AE nuggets - not sure if this coin is related, ancient or modern - was reminded of it looking at your post. I think it came with a batch of uncleaned coins, years ago. 3.5g, and 12.5mm.
    Indian Mystery.jpg

4. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Intriguing coin! I can tell that it's a jital from the larger "bull and horseman" series, but that isnt my strong suit. It's from medieval northern India, about 1000-1200 AD timeframe. We have a few experts on the series so hopefully they can weigh in...

TuckHard and Sulla80 like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Fascinating, @Finn235 ... I have a few Ancient India coins. I am beginning to become much more intrigued with Ancient India due to its incredibly rich early Human and early Civilization histories. Additionally, the pre-History Indus Valley region has an incredibly complex history that they have yet to decifer the writings that are being found. When I read more about early Homo Sapiens, and well as other closely related Homo species, India was a major area of development. Very interesting.
    Best,
    Brian

I only have one Ancient AE from the North Indian area.

upload_2020-3-1_10-32-59.png
    INDIA, Kushan Empire. Vima Takto (Soter Megas).
    Æ Tetradrachm, 21mm, 8.5g, 12h; c. AD 80-100.
    Obv.: Radiate and diademed bust right, holding scepter; tamgha behind.
    Rev.: BACIΛЄV BACIΛЄVΩN CΩTHP MЄΓAC; Vima Takto on horseback right, holding axe; tamgha to lower right.
    Reference: Senior B17.1vT

Landed 66
    4. The Kushan empire was founded in Bactria by the Yuezhi, a group of Chinese nomadic pastoralists, after their displacement by the Xiongnu in the 2nd century BC.

During the 1st century BCE, one of the five major Yuezhi tribes in Bactria, the Kushanas (Chinese: 貴霜; pinyin: Guishuang), began to subsume the other tribes and neighbouring peoples. The subsequent Kushan Empire, at its peak in the 3rd century CE, stretched from Turfan in the Tarim Basin, in the north to Pataliputra on the Gangetic plain of India in the south. The Kushanas played an important role in the development of trade on the Silk Road and the introduction of Buddhism to China. -wiki
    Ex: @John Anthony

TuckHard, Finn235, Parthicus and 3 others like this.
  6. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Finn, the character on your last coin seems to be Telugu/Kannada script. Therfore, this likely is south-Indian, and probably not as old as it looks. Could be related to the "Sri Vira"coinage, traditionally attributed to the Madurai Nayaks.
    The Bull and horseman Jital shows to little detail for definita attribution. Possibly is a local Muhammad bin Sam derivative from the beginning of the 13th century AD.

Added another Southern India type:
    ThanjavurWeb.jpg

TuckHard, Sulla80, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  7. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Here's a coupleof cast Sunga Dynasty coins...
    normal_SUNGA_2_ELEPHANTS.jpg
    Sunga Dynasty 1/4 Karshapana 185-173 BC
    Cast Copper approx 14mm diameter 1.6gr
    Obverse..Elephant without (top coin) with (bottom coin) rider.
    Reverse..Chaitya, with crescent above.
    Mitchiner ACW-4366

TuckHard, Sulla80, Finn235 and 3 others like this.
  8. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Very cool OP coins (and in the replies), amazing to find such coins for $1 each. I have a few Indian coins, the most relevant is probably this AE of the Satavahanas who were mentioned in the first post:
    Satavahana.jpg

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

[​IMG]
    INDIA Sunga Dynasty 187-78 BCE Cast Copper 1-2 Karshapana 15mm 2.5g Elephant flag swastika taurine symbol - Tree 3-arched hill hollow cross MACW 4378

10. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

This is currently my main area of interest in collecting. I have about 300 south Asia coins so far, and keep buying more. Here are a few of the nicer AR examples. I use zeno.re extensively.
    1. 24-124 Nahapana
    2. 238-250 Western Satraps Vijayasena
    3. 415-455 Gupta Empire
    4. 470-800 Post Gupta
    5. 590-628 Iran-Sasanian
    24-124 Nahapana obv.JPG 24-124 Nahapana rev.JPG 238-250 WS Vijayasena obv (1).JPG 238-250 WS Vijayasena rev (1).JPG 415-455 Gupta 1 d obv (1).JPG 415-455 Gupta 1 d rev (1).JPG 470-800 Post Gupta obv (9).JPG 470-800 Post Gupta rev (9).JPG 590-628 Iran-Sasanian 1 d obv.JPG 590-628 Iran-Sasanian 1 d rev.JPG 24-124 Nahapana obv.JPG 24-124 Nahapana rev.JPG 238-250 WS Vijayasena obv (1).JPG 238-250 WS Vijayasena rev (1).JPG 415-455 Gupta 1 d obv (1).JPG 415-455 Gupta 1 d rev (1).JPG 470-800 Post Gupta obv (9).JPG 470-800 Post Gupta rev (9).JPG 590-628 Iran-Sasanian 1 d obv.JPG 590-628 Iran-Sasanian 1 d rev.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted