Ancient Identifications Help Pt. 6

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by RTScott1978, Jan 17, 2017.

1. RTScott1978

RTScott1978 UK/Commonwealth Collector

A quick 5 this morning....

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

As usual, much thanks to all who participate and who have already participated! You've been of great help.

Bing and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:beaver:

Are you selling them? (is your friend selling them?)

... there have been a bunch of nice ones in your numerous threads

=> or is he a stand-up dude and he's gonna start collecting? (sure, it's a totally loaded question ... but merely curious)

hi

4. RTScott1978

He told me he'd just like to know what they are and how much they might be worth, then he will decide whether or not to sell them either once he gets all the info or some time in the future.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

There are many on this site that would love a chance to buy most of these coins. As Steve indicated, we have a resident auctioneer in the person of John Anthony who would probably be glad to sell the coins on consignment. Maybe I shouldn't speak for JA, eh?

hoth2 likes this.
  6. RTScott1978

Thanks, Bing. I will certainly let my friend know that, it might sway him to want to sell, but no guarantees. He truly hasn't expressed much interest in selling them as of yet.

7. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Identification for coin #3:

C. Plutius. 121 B.C.
    AR Denarius
    Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma r.; behind, X
    Reverse: Dioscuri r.; below, C. PLVTI; in exergue, ROMA
    Syd 410, Cr278/1.

Alegandron likes this.
  8. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

@RTScott1978 when attributing ancients, the weight in grams and diameter in mm can be very important.

Whilst your friend is making up his mind whether or not to sell, get him to handle the coins (unheard of with modern coins) and really look at them. He might get the ancient bug, and he would have a fabulous collection to get him started. If he is unsure, suggest that he puts them away for another time when he might be more enthusiastic. Whatever he does, please discourage him from taking them to a "coin dealer". The chances are that he will receive a fraction of what they are worth.

I am in the UK. If I were ever to sell my collection, my first port of call would be John Anthony. It would be worth the postage to the US to put my coins into the hands of someone who will do his best to sell them at an appropriate price and taking only a fair commission. If you look up coins on Vcoins for approximate matches, bear in mind that the prices are full retail. Some are marked up 100 per cent. He will not get anywhere near what the Vcoin prices are.

Pellinore and stevex6 like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, perhaps you should teach him (or yourself) to search this info on your own?

Then perhaps that will coax "your friend" into keeping the coins? (otherwise, we are merely your work-horses, finding his selling list so he can go sell them somewhere else) ... yes?

I recommended JA a few days ago ... ummm perhaps, you should get on that, before he gets all high on himself and shuts you down?

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  10. RTScott1978

@stevex6

I'm a school teacher with a 5 year old and a pregnant wife, I haven't any time and not enough interest. He, "my friend", is a surgeon for Christ's sake, he doesn't need nor want the money from selling these, he simply wanted info on some stuff he didn't even know his father enjoyed.

So, essentially, you're saying that people here will only help him if they can also buy his coins? Strange.

I've stated repeatedly that he doesn't know what he wants to do with them, it's not up to me. He knew I'm a collector, so he reached out to me to see if there was anything I could do. After trying on my own, and being promptly utterly stumped, I came right to CT, saw the massive amount of knowledge here and thought it would be a breeze for those who knew what they were looking at. I suppose I must have been wrong if my posts are bothering you.

And what in the world does "before he shuts you down" mean?

PS - If it makes you feel any better, he also had me personally identify and price approximately 250 coins ranging from late medieval to mid 20th century. I didn't tell him I'd only do it if I could buy some.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    stevex6 and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  11. RTScott1978

Thank you @Pishpash , I will see if he has any interest in collecting them himself, but, as I've mentioned quite a few times, all he really wanted to know was what they were besides 'ancient' and get an idea of what they would be worth.

I seriously doubt he'd want to get rid of them, at least not for some time.

12. Bing

Don't take Steve too seriously. He's our class, should I say, clown. He's a wonderful guy with a sense of humor that sometimes only he understands. No one here is telling your friend to sell. I think he should keep them. But JA is a good alternative should he ever want to sell.

13. RTScott1978

Thank you, @Bing . I was really confused by that, barely could make heads or tails of his comments.

Sorry for the little outburst. I'll see if he might want to get in touch with John Anthony once the identification process is complete.

Thank you once more, Bing, and, of course, everyone who has helped thus far. Only 20 or so left to go.

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Forgive us but some here remember helping a newby before only to see the coins posted to eBay at exorbitant prices leaving us feeling used. I like teachers, so:

1. Ptolemy I Egypt, AR tetradrachm
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Nero Provincial AR tetradrachm Antioch
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Roman Republic, Gaius Plutius moneyer AR denarius
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Tarsos AR stater female head/Ares
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Maximianus AE antoninianus
    [​IMG][​IMG]

On these and any others we have IDed for which you want more details, go to the link below and type in keywords from our ID or things you read on the coin.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coins_sold.aspx
    For example you could type Maximianus and read CONCORDIA from the last coin and get:
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Search.asp...1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_4=1&VIEW_TYPE=0
    The first coin on that page is very close to yours except it has a workshop letter gamma wher yours is delta. I doubt your friend will care about such things to that level of detail. Also warn that prices realized on CNG sales for very nice coins are a lot more than you could get for even slightly different specimens. Your #4 is a decent coin but not $thousands, for example. Doing this will give you dates, for example.

Look behind the ear of #1 and see if you can make out a Greek letter delta. That is a signature of the engraver.

If the doctor has kids and can get them interested in their grandfather's hobby, we would be happy to have another generation of his family in the hobby.

Pellinore, TIF, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
  15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

1. Ptolemy Tetradrachm with banker's marks.

2. Nero Roman provincial?

3. Roman Republic denarius

4. ???

5. Late Roman bronze from the fourth century AD. I don't immediately recognize the ruler.

Curtisimo likes this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

Doug beat me by a few seconds... listen to him. He's practically always right.

17. RTScott1978

That was a great at write up, Doug, thank you very much. And thank you for describing those worries in a coherent manner as well, that is certainly something I would be upset with if I were the one doing the legwork like all you very kind folks are.

Curtisimo likes this.
  18. Bing

Really? I thought he was always right.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  19. TypeCoin971793

I could be wrong, but I thought there were a couple times he admitted he was wrong about something in the 9 months I've been here.

20. Bing

Naw. I think you're wrong. Doug is everyone's mentor and is always right even when he's wrong.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Bing is obviously losing it...and I say that under the definition he set forth above.

randygeki, TypeCoin971793 and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted