ancient id real or fake?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by enochian, Nov 24, 2015.

1. enochian

enochian silver eater

Hello Havent been around here in a long time.

I was cleaning out a nes (orginal nintendo) and i found this coin and a elgin watch token (different thread)

since i didnt buy this i have no ideal what it is or even if its real.

SAM_0010.JPG SAM_0012.JPG SAM_0012.JPG SAM_0012.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. enochian

enochian silver eater

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a modern fantasy piece.

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Supposedly its Constantine the Great...but this coin doesn't look quite right to me. Maybe someone else can shed more light.

Edges are wrong...look machined, portrait looks too modern and not quite the right style. Lettering is off. Patina is fake.

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The obverse imitates a follis of Constantine, the reverse a type of Judaean prutah. I've seen these posted before from time to time - I have no idea who made them or why.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. enochian

enochian silver eater

kinda figured thats why i checked here there some kinda black shine kinda like oil in some places i found it with a token from 1870 so i wasent sure thanks guys

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Fake Fake Fake

9. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

It's definitely a fantasy coin that uses a pressing technique to make the coin, rather than cast.

The reverse is a imitation of a Roman Provincial, Judaean coin of Antonius Felix procurator under Claudius I and a few other emperors.

I see these pop up every now and again. A lot of us here have seen these before.

Hendin_652.1.jpg

This is a authentic coin.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A bad fake, but more interesting then the usual fakes like athens owls and such.

Gil-galad likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The cool thing about these is that the fake was made with two completely different coins so either side can be glued 'up' on a paper trying to get you to buy some product. Since Constantine was the first Christian emperor and the prutah figures in the history of Israel, you can use the thing to sell history or religious books of several types. I only have received two in the mail on an ad for a book on Bible studies calling them 'Widows Mites' (which is pushing it quite a bit). Value is something below melt minus the match to start the furnace. These get shown here at least once a year as I recall.

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted