Ancient ID help #1 (and green spot)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AdamL, Jan 16, 2022.

1. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I mainly collect U.S. coins but have picked up a dozen or so inexpensive ancients over the years because ancient history is so interesting.
    I was mostly out of the hobby from 2012-2020 so I've come across 4 ancient coins in my safe that aren't labelled and I haven't seen in a decade.
    I'm going to make separate threads to avoid confusion.
    This first one is the one I have the best idea on. I think it's Valens? The dragging of the enemy by the hair on the reverse is pretty memorable.

Also, the green spot on the coin. Years ago it either wasn't there, or wasn't nearly as bad. What should I do about that?
    Thanks. coin1.jpg coin1r.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Oh, and while I'm asking for ancient advice. Can anyone recommend a good reference book on roman coins? I'm particularly interested in possibly starting a collection of silver Denarii

4. sand

sand Well-Known Member

Hello @AdamL
    It looks like an ancient Roman coin from the 4th century AD or 5th century AD.
    My favorite reference book, for ancient Roman coins, is "Roman Coins And Their Values" by Sear. There is an old single volume book. And, there is a new set of multiple volumes. I don't have the old single volume book, so I don't know how good that one is. I have the new volumes I and V, and I like those.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    AdamL likes this.
  5. sand

sand Well-Known Member

P.S. : Unfortunately, the legend on the obverse is mostly not visible. Therefore, the Emperor's name cannot be read, by looking at the legend.
    By the way, I recommend taking higher resolution photos, and clipping away most of the area surrounding the coin, so that mostly only the coin is visible in the photo. That will allow us, to better see the details of the coin.
    Also, if you have a scale that can measure with precision of 0.1 grams, and a ruler that has millimeters, then it would be helpful, to give the coin's weight and maximum diameter.

DonnaML and AdamL like this.
  6. sand

sand Well-Known Member

P.P.S. : One of the experts, may be able to figure out, which coin this is, by looking at the reverse design, or by looking at the legend on the reverse.

7. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

8. sand

sand Well-Known Member

P.P.P.S. : The green spot, on the reverse, may be "bronze disease", which is copper chloride, if I remember correctly. Especially if it wasn't there 10 years ago. Not all green material is bronze disease. In fact, a stable green patina, on a bronze coin, is quite desirable, for many collectors of ancient coins. But if the green is new, then probably it's bronze disease. I'm not an expert in bronze disease. You can scrape it off, using a pointy scalpel. And then maybe soak the coin in distilled water (don't use chlorinated tap water). But probably other experts would have better ideas, about what to do, about it.

DonnaML and AdamL like this.
  9. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I don't know if this will help, but I meant to crop and resize these before I posted
    coin1.jpg coin1r.jpg

DonnaML and sand like this.
  10. sand

sand Well-Known Member

P.P.P.P.S. : Not all green material is bronze disease. In fact, a stable green patina, on a bronze coin, is quite desirable, for many collectors of ancient coins. But, if the green is new, then probably it's bronze disease.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Easiest thing to do for your "green spot" would be to soak it a day or so in water and then probe away any loose material with a toothpick. Pat or blot it dry and put it in an oven on low for a couple of hours.

sand, AdamL and Roman Collector like this.
  12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

With most LRB, Constantius II is always a good guess

Kentucky likes this.
  13. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain that spot is bronze disease. Left untreated, it will eventually destroy your coin (although it might take 20 years to do so). Fortunately, it is inexpensive and easy to treat.

Here is what I wrote in an earlier thread:

Buy a gallon of DW
    [distilled water] from your local grocery. Brush off as much BD as you can from the afflicted coin. Use a toothpick or brass bristle brush to scrape around the affected area. Place it in a cup for 1 or 2 days, then take it out and dry it off with a rag. Replace the old DW in the cup with fresh DW and repeat this process. Do this repeatedly for 2-3 weeks. Then dry the coin off and set it unsealed somewhere where you will see it often. Check it every day or so to make sure the BD does not return. If, after 1-2 months, you do not see any more BD, your coin is cured, and you can treat it like you would any other ancient coin. If it does come back then you would need to repeat this regimen.

I have treated many coins this way. About 10% of them had the BD return and required a second treatment. I've never had to treat a coin a third time.

sand, Broucheion and AdamL like this.
  14. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

Arcadius, Gratianus, Valens, Valentinianus I and Valentinianus II issued the type GLORIA ROMANORVM,
    The mintmark starts with CO..... and you can see a dot in the right field. That possibly makes it Valens, Constantinople, RIC 41, issued between 367-375.

Frans

sand, Kentucky and AdamL like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted