Ancient: Help identify Greek Poseidon coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by silverdrachm, Jul 26, 2014.

1. silverdrachm

silverdrachm Active Member

I got this bronze Greek coin a while back for very cheap. I think the Greek God Poseidon is on the obverse and his triton and 2 dolphins are on the reverse but I could be wrong. It weighs about 6 grams and is 18mm. I don't really know anything else about it so anything would help. Thanks image.jpg image.jpg

randygeki, stevex6, zumbly and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I believe these must be fairly common. I even have one similar. Yours is in fair condition, but perhaps over cleaned (?). Anyway, here is mine with attribution:
    SICILY, SYRACUSE, HIERON II.jpg
    SICILY, SYRACUSE, HIERON II AE19
    OBVERSE: Head of Poseidon left.
    REVERSE: IEP-ONOS, ornamented trident of Poseidon
    Struck at Syracuse, Sicily 275-216 BC
    6.5g; 19mm
    SG 1223

4. silverdrachm

I dont think it is cleaned but that looks like a match. Do you know what denomination coin it is? And maybe the value of it?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  5. Bing

We (collectors) call it an AE19 based on type of metal (base metal) and size 19mm. What the actual denomination was called when minted I have no idea. Value is hard to determine from just an image. I can tell you that my coin cost me a whopping $10 at the FUN show about a year and a half ago. I know some of the others who post here regularly have examples of this coin many in much better condition. Perhaps they may share what they know about the coins and their values.

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I was going to guess about 20 bucks.

7. silverdrachm

Okay thanks!!

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great new addition, silverdrachm ... congrats!!

Man, Bing always seems to scam ancient coins at rock-bottom prices!! (I paid a bit closer to $100-delivered for my example)

SICILY SYRACUSE HIERON II AE 21

C. 275-216 BC
    Diameter: 21 mm
    Weight: 9.02 grams
    Obverse: Diad head of Poseidon left
    Reverse: Trident flanked by dolphins
    Reference: SNG Ans 965

syracuse hieron II.jpg

9. silverdrachm

Beautiful. I really do love these coins with the Greek Gods on them.

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Gather-around, kids ... Uncle Bing is gonna tell ya 'bout the time he scored a dolphin coin for $10

dolphin story.jpg

Bing likes this.
  11. Bing

What can I say. Your coin lil brother is a real beauty and probably worth the $100. However, for one-tenth the price, I kinda like mine just the same.

stevex6 likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Well, your coin seems to be just as nice as mine, but apparently I must have bought my example from the sucka's showcase, not from Sly Jimmy's special backroom cabinet (man, I gotta go shopping with you, dawg!!)

Bing likes this.
  13. Bing

Maybe the key is to shop before we drink a couple bottles of wine, eh? I'll tell you what. When we get together (I know we will one day), we'll shop till we each find what we want. Then you have the wine and I'll have the beer or maybe both. What'd ya say?

stevex6 likes this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hmmm, verrrry interesting ... I've never tried buying coins "before" drinking a bottle of wine (you may be on to something, my wise ol' brother)

Bing likes this.
  15. Bing

16. silverdrachm

On the little information sheet that came with the coin it says "Calciati-197". What does that mean?

17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Calciati 197 is a reference number that has been used to attribute the coin. The reference is authored by Romolo Calciati and covers the ancient bronze coinage of Sicily:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=calciati

stevex6 likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Coin values are all a matter of opinion and the only opinion that counts is the one backed up by a cash purchase. Steve's coin has decent surfaces; Bing's does not. Bing's coin has a full, clear legend identifying the king who issued the coin. Steve's is weaker but mostly there. The OP coin is between them.
    I agree with chrsmat71 but that is only an opinion since I would hold out for a coin with Bing's legends and Steve's surfaces and see what it would cost.
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1632457
    I'm sorry I missed that one. acsearch has a lot of them in various prices and grades (mostly higher that I'd pay but sellers only need to find one buyer so you can't blame them for trying).

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey silverdrachm, here is a link to the CNG archives ... there are several tabs at the bottom of the page, so you can quickly search-through several examples to get a pretty good idea of the goin' prices (Note => you would need to add 15% buyers taxes and also the cost of delivery to get the "actual" delivered price)

http://cngcoins.com/Search.aspx?PAGE_NUM=&PAGE=1&TABS_TYPE=2&CONTAINER_TYPE_ID=1&IS_ADVANCED=1&ITEM_DESC=SYRACUSE+HIERON+II+&ITEM_IS_SOLD=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_1=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_3=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_2=1

... hope this helps

20. silverdrachm

21. silverdrachm

It does. Thanks! All these posts help.

Draft saved Draft deleted