Ancient Greek..?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Steven Michael Gardner, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Steven Michael Gardner

Steven Michael Gardner Well-Known Member

IEΡΩNOΣ on the coin translated to english IERONOE How does one determine
    what IERONOE indicates, is it a moneyer, place, or combination of things, the IERON looks like it has to do with King Hieron II , I'm just not well versed at this..???

Ref: Calciati 194
    https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/sicily/syracuse/hieron_II/t.html
    Syracuse, Sicily. Hieron II. 274-216 BC. AE 19mm (6.10 gm). Diademed head of Poseidon left / IEΡΩNOΣ, tripod flanked by dolphins; letteror monogram below.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

The H I guess is "missing" or "silent" and the last letter is Sigma for S (Greek H is E... Maybe that's why therecis no Hat the beginning?), so it represents Hieron, and in Greek he probably would've been called Hieronos/Hieronus, I guess?

Later, in Roman Imperial times (on provincial coinage), the Sigma was replaced with C for the S instead, like ANTONEINOC for ANTONINUS.

[​IMG]
    Syracuse, Sicily
    Hieron II, Ruled 270-215 BC, or Fifth Democracy
    AE Litra, Struck circa 214-212 BC
    Obverse: Head of Poseidon left, wearing tania.
    Reverse: IEPΩNOΣ, Ornate trident between two dolphins; to lower right, ΔA.
    References: Calciati 197 (Hieron II); SNG ANS 982 (Hieron II)
    Size: 19.5mm, 6.2g

Here's another coin of Hieron II with same reverse legend...
    [​IMG]
    Syracuse, Sicily
    Hieron II, Ruled 270-215 BC
    AE Hemilitron, Struck circa 230-218/5 BC
    Obverse: Diademed head of Hieron left, beardless.
    Reverse: Horseman galloping right, holding couched lance, monogram below, IEPΩNOΣ in exergue.
    References: Calciati 195, BMC 574, SNG ANS 930
    Size: 26.6mm, 16.9g

Hieron II was tyrant and then king of Syracuse, c. 270 to 215 B.C. His rule brought 50 years of peace and prosperity, and Syracuse became one of the most renowned capitals of antiquity. He enlarged the theater and built an immense altar. The literary figure Theocritus and the philosopher Archimedes lived under his rule. After struggling against the Mamertini, he eventually allied with Rome.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted