Ancient Forum's Picture the Poster

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Sweet. That looks like a blast. I've never been anywhere colder than -2 F, and that felt brutally cold, so I can't imagine what another 48 degrees colder would even feel like.

However, as a Florida person, my idea of cold is skewed. Here in South Florida if the weather goes to 40F everyone is dressed like an Eskimo and the news cover it as if it was the worst cold snap ever recorded on Earth.

Nyatii likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Here's the only self portrait I've taken. I used the self-timer on a vintage FED-3. Lighting is terrible, artifacts, and light leaks, and it only took me 3 weeks to find out (didn't finish that roll for quite a while). Still, got some of that "character" everybody loves.
    132494010003.jpg

And here's the best Ancient coin I own, a Philip the Arab AR antonianius.
    IMG_E0871.JPG
    IMG_E0872.JPG

4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Hey, once it hits 70F I start pulling on the fuzzy socks and grab a second blanket (San Diego, CA)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Still in Europe having fun....look at those mountains. Will be home next week.

IMG_20191031_114215333_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191031_114250003_HDR.jpg

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Enjoy. I am probly on my 8th Tilley over the years. The one you are wearing in your posting is one of my favorites. I tend toward the 4” Brims... I never worry about umbrellas or sun shades with mine. :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Sallent and Severus Alexander like this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice hike/climb. Last big mountain I ascended was Whitney in California, 14,495 feet with a 6500 foot ascent from the trailhead to the summit, 23 miles round trip. Took me 13 hours to do it. Certainly had some good views from the top of the mountain. One of my favorite mountain hikes was in Egypt (Sinai Peninsula) climbing up the 3,000 steps of repentance to the summit of Mt. Sinai, originally cut into the mountain by Byzantine monks.

Theodosius likes this.
  9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

A couple of recent pics at Paestum, south of Naples. Great day there temples are fantastic especially Neptune (the one I am leaning against a Doric column) fascinating place even a huge pool 47mt x 20mt wide. IMG_20190915_134739~2.jpg IMG_20190915_130514.jpg IMG_20190915_132758.jpg
    And last but not least my Paestum coin from the 1st century BC. Paestum1.jpg
    MAGNA GRECIA
    LUCANIA
    PAESTUM (Poseidonia)
    Bronze semis. Circa 90-44 BC.
    15mm, 3.41gm.
    Obv: Female head right; MINEIA • M • F behind.
    Rev: Two-story building; P-S flanking upper floor, S-C flanking lower.
    Crawford, Paestum 38b; HN Italy 1258.
    Rare.

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Eeek. Seems you're not afraid of heights. Great photo but ... ;)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  11. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

13. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

I had no idea this thread existed - most of it seems to be from days before I was intermittently active on this forum.
    So I'll start with a photo from July 4th, 1968 - "Captain Oh Wow! and The Underdogs" live, in the Plaza del Armas in Ariquipa Peru - I'm the one with no hair - "bald as an egg at 18" (actually pretty much bald throughout high school - runs in the family)
    upload_2019-11-1_15-8-57.png

And more recently (although ~ 100 lbs more of me at that time a few years ago than now...):
    upload_2019-11-1_15-12-35.png

And with my daughters with spouse/spousal equivalents visiting with a couple old friends this last August - none of the 5 grandchildren in this shot, however:
    upload_2019-11-1_15-15-2.png

As for coins, well, that's a tough call - just about as bad as trying to choose your favorite kid...
    ("website password security hint: "name of your least favorite child" "
    That bon mot had me chuckling for weeks - funny what strikes you funny, innit?)
    So, after collecting for 60 years, somehow choose a coin out of XK's (?!?)
    Okay then, An old favorite - Fine Corinthian silver
    upload_2019-11-1_15-32-16.png

randygeki, TIF, Theodosius and 12 others like this.
  14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Why is it that not a one of you look like I picture in my mind? For some reason I imagine you all to be "young" super hero types. Instead I see old rock star types. Hmmm, what's that say about this old geezer.
    download.jpg th.jpg

15. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I'm not?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  16. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Hey @Sallent.....Where are you apart from very high....?

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Umm, okay, you are.

Nyatii likes this.
  18. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My beautiful Wife on All Hallows’ Eve 89704D0E-A100-4172-B679-F385D1103652.jpeg

John Anthony, dadams, TIF and 10 others like this.
  19. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

100% terrifying for me! I despise heights (though oddly I have no problems looking out the window of an airplane). Anyway, keeping the thread alive. Today, I see I am now old, little hair and a lot of belly. But I'm happy! Winter beard is in full swing, my daughter is begging me to shave it off!

1.jpg

dadams, TIF, Nyatii and 10 others like this.
  20. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Ken, you look good for a...wait, how old are you? :smuggrin: I'll guess 36...but that beard is gray, so...:p:joyful::joyful::joyful: ...Oh, I see you're ...:jawdrop::rolleyes:;)!

21. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

She looks like a goddess, @Nathan401 ! You’d better behave—she could vaporize you with a lightning bolt. ;) Clever photo! :joyful:

Nathan401 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted