Ancient Forum's Picture the Poster

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I reserve the right to delay posting an updated photo. Last one was at least 5 years old and maybe more, but as fall has started I am beginning my 'winter beard'. I hate shaving, love my beard (wife hates it) but mine comes out bushy and could easily rival @dougsmit . Until then, here are a few (which are hard as I am always the one behind the camera):

Ken 1990.jpg
    About 1990, US Navy. I have more interesting photos of that time but they might be considered 'hedonistic'.

Ken 2009.jpg
    First and only tattoo The names of my kids (anyone like my 'farmers tan'?

DSC00539.JPG
    A few months ago, I think we were in Belize. My lack of hair now might explain why I like having a beard! Naw, I had a beard back in the 90's when I still had hair on top!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I'll update too, here's a mugshot taken at my local museum where I'm the curator.
    upload_2018-10-4_13-49-47.png

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

What's the Museum's name? I usually take my son on road trips around Florida to visit different museums. Maybe next time I make it by your area with my son I can ask someone to see the curator and say hello.

5. Sallent

I had a thick beard and spiky green hair during my freshman year of college, and spent more time at the on-campus student club where they actually served beer, than I spent studying. Needless to say, I definitely won't be sharing any pictures from that time. Not exactly the sort of memories I want to bother reliving.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  6. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

...at Heras Temple , Samos island a month ago:

Attached Files:

7. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I always try to post a birthday photo so everyone can see the wear and tear the passing years impose. I forgot to post one for my 89th birthday this past August (I forget a lot of things these days). This pic was taken at our local Chapter of the Korean War Veterans Association August meeting. I was dressed up for the occasion - birthday boy front and center! Our group has dwindled down to the precious few pictured here (Pima County Sheriff Napier was our guest speaker) - we lose about one member every other month - the youngest member of our chapter is 86 and the oldest is 91. Still a a sprightly and boisterous group though! I am the Chapter Vice-Commander and Webmaster 31B56A21-B3D5-4F8B-AEE4-6C8CC66667CF.jpeg .

Ancientnoob, Ryro, Nyatii and 18 others like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Uhm, @Ed Snible, did you know you have a son? :D

CT-EdSnible-AidanFatherSon.jpg

John Anthony, Ryro, Nyatii and 17 others like this.
  9. Sallent

If anyone wants to see pictures from the perspective of a young Cuban refugee boy in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba in 1995, I can definitely post a few photos later. I found a few photos a week ago while looking for something else.

Orange Julius likes this.
  10. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

@jamesicus , from one veteran to another, thank you for your service. From the bottom of my heart.

Alegandron and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Great picture, James!

Thank you Ken, James, Bing, and the rest of the veterans and active duty military who serve their countries and the world.

Jwt708, Orange Julius and Justin Lee like this.
  12. jamesicus

Thank you Ken. And the same from me to you!

13. jamesicus

Thank you TIF.

14. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

West Pasco Historical Society

@TIF HA! :D

15. jamesicus

I guess it is hard for anyone not to post nostalgic pics - they bring back so many memories:

[​IMG]
    Dancing at Blackpool Tower ballroom. just before VE Day, 1945

[​IMG]
    Digging up shrapnel from ack-ack (what goes up must come down)
    and bombs plus coins (pocket change not Ancients!) and other odds & ends after WW2 Air Raids - Manchester 1941

Ancientnoob, Ryro, Carthago and 13 others like this.
  16. Sallent

I was by that area with my son 3 months ago and we visited a bunch of museums and historical places. We definitely didnt do that place though, so Ill have to add it to my list eventually. Im on a mission to do as many historical spots and museums in Florida as reasonably possible. People don't realize it but Florida is rich in history, and has tons of museums, state parks, and exhibits that are great trips for family weekend gettaways. Every year I take 4 or 5 road trips and cover 4 or 5 historical things/locations each trip.

17. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's another of my telescopes. As @Sallent said, it's probably more interesting then my selfie. It's a BIG refractor. Good for close ups of Mars and DSO's (deep sky objects)...

ar1524.jpg

18. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great pics @jamesicus ! My parents were both seven on VE day. My Dad was commander of the LST Madera County in the Viet Nam war. He retired after Gulf War I.

300px-USS_Madera_County.jpg

The ship was built in 1944. It operated primarily in the Mekong Delta during the war. My Dad was CO between 1968 and 1969. It actually saw a lot of combat activity and evacuated wounded Marines from the Tet offensive...

randygeki, Deacon Ray, dadams and 3 others like this.
  19. Sallent

Wow, that looks like a 2 inch eyepiece on that baby. I bet you get some pretty wide fields of view with that refractor. You don't use any heat strips on it?

I love my 6 inch schmidt-cassegrain and have put hundreds of dollars of accessories into it, but one regret I do have is that the field of view is not as wide as it was with my old dobsonian 5 inch telescope. A good refractor is definitely high in my want list. Now if only I could keep myself from buying ancient coins for a few month. That's the only thing that's keeping me from it. Every time I save $700 or $800 for a new telescope, I spend it on coins.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  20. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

@Curtisimo and I got together a couple weeks ago for dinner and coin sharing--we're less than a 30-minute drive away. He talked the waitress into taking a photo of us:
    IMG_62731.jpg

I was excited to chat face-to-face with someone who likes ancients as much as me! Curtis snapped this pic as we were leaving... Excitement captured lol
    IMG_62741.jpg

Ryro, randygeki, Deacon Ray and 16 others like this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Who admits remembering when phone had wires? Today's kids do not recognize the object in this photo c.1949. I did not yet collect coins so I was not placing bids.
    contestwinnersq.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted