Ancient Forum's Picture the Poster

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

BTW, I'm one of those white figures on the ship to the right, somewhere between forward and mid-ship starboard side. I remember we had to man the rails into port for this exact photo opportunity. Took a couple hours if I remember.

Jwt708 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

wow!.. you look much different than i pictured. you sure that's you?!?(jk)^^

4. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

haha! even tho i was in the air force. i'd have to taken hostage on the ground and wounded to make me get another plane..charlie don't surf and gregarious don't fly

5. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

We always seem different than imagined, dont we? No, I'm not sure its me. I look in the mirror these days as ask myself, who the hell is that? I used to have hair! Whats left is grey. When did that happen?

I always hated flying with the Navy pilots. They treated those DC10's like they were Tomcats. Straight up, sharp banks, then straight down. Imagine flying commercial and your pilot decided to go from 30,000 feet to 5,000 in a few seconds. They always did it and it scared the crap out of me. I am sure its one of the reasons why I hate flying to this day.

6. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

Me picking some apricots...
    image-0-02-05-c0eebf4602c651c97830a92ca746e62e99d0e99ad6505df6a3a32926714bc30a-V.jpg

7. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Bump for newer members and anyone else who hasn't posted themselves yet.

Makanudo likes this.
  8. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Now that I've been a member of this forum for a while I figured I'd post a photo of myself as well as a coin. Contrary to my avatar, I'm not a football player from the 1920s.
    20171127_125718.jpg
    My daughter is two, but already loves "treasure" i.e. the few modern coins she gets her hands on. I can only hope she will become a coin collector too.
    ME75193.jpg
    Henry III AR Penny Voided Long Cross type. Canterbury mint 19mm. 1.48g.
    Moneyer Nicole.
    Obv: Crowned bust facing in beaded circle,
    hENRICvS REX III
    Rev: Long cross pommée, quartered with pellet trefoils. NIC -OLE -ONC -ANT
    SCBC. 1364

9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Here's me embarrassing my son by attempting to sing one of his favorite tunes...and now I spread the embarrassment around by posting it here.

America's Got Talent here I come! LOL

10. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

I'll play.

IMG_0198.JPG

This is from 8-10 years ago.

Here is a coin that fits my personal thought on how coins are living history. The wear on the coin looks it's from circulation, which fascinates me.

IMG_0128.JPG

MESOPOTAMIA, Nisibis. Philip II. AD 247-249. Æ ). Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / City goddess seated facing; above, ram leaping right, head left; all within tetrastyle temple. SNG Copenhagen 242 corr. (under Philip I; same obv. die).

11. Sallent

You look a little bit like Al Bundy from Married with Children.

12. GerardV

I'm even originally from Chicago!

Sallent likes this.
  13. GerardV

I clean up pretty good:

IMG_0196.JPG

14. Sallent

Nice. Was that local news or a local TG channel? I've had a few TV appearances myself, though I never bothered to tape it or save an image.

This was last evening with my son at the fair.

received_10208211919175049.jpeg

It was around 60F...kind of chilly for our Cuban blood, but I personally like it. Sure beats 90F any day of the week.

Here is a pile of random coins to keep it legal. Got to sort them out tomorrow and organize my collection a little. It's getting a little disorganized and I don't like that.

20171130_225446.jpg

15. GerardV

It's my only pic in a suit.

It's from a statewide Ohio news show. Over the years, I've done TV appearances, radio spots, written newspaper, magazine and internet op-eds and even a book. They are all tied to an group I helped found - Buckeye Firearms Association.

I've also written gun and tactical training class review articles for SWAT Magazine, United States Concealed Carry Association Magazine and Guns.com.

At the moment, however, that's all on the back burner while I'm working on arttributing these coins:

IMG_0077.JPG

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  16. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My Wife and I, during Thanksgiving.
    IMG_0167.JPG
    Here's a coin, a great X6 Antoninanius:
    IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG

17. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

No one looks like I thought!! I'm sure I'm no exception. Lol

Makanudo and GerardV like this.
  18. GerardV

I must be the oddball because I don't think about how people here look in real life.

My wife tells me it's because of my loner tendencies.

Makanudo and Nathan401 like this.
  19. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Lots of people that are on Facebook have seen me and I have more older photos of when I was younger. I am showing this one here and one of my cat Buzz Lightyear and a single coin. Some people say I look like Commodus in the movie Gladiator. lol

265114_1912375370860_7579601_n.jpg

This is me 4 years ago. I do not have a up to date photo yet but I don't look too much different.

Dscn0105.jpg

Here is my 5 year old cat and he is a inside-outside cat. Picked him up as a stray 4 years ago and nursed him back too health. His name is Buzz Lightyear. Never had a cat before this.

claudius-ii-left-reshoot.jpg

Claudius II Gothicus AE Antoninianus, 268-270 AD, Antioch, 3.8g, 20mm

OBV: IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG, Radiate head left.

REV: AEQVITAS AVG, Aequitas standing left holding scales and cornucopia.

REF: RIC V-1 197

EX: ECIN (Every Coin In Numismatics)

20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nothing new here since December 31st, huh?

We'll have to fix that.

Might as well send this one back into circulation for 2018, since I just read - OK, well, skimmed - the whole daggum thing. I had not seen the Crabhead @TIF picture, or @TheRed without his muddy helmet on, among other revelations. So it's thread resurrection time.

Selfie from March 2018.
    (My default avatar picture with the Holey Vest and hat is circa 2004, in case you were wondering about the discrepancy.)
    20180309_093400.jpg

Ancient coin pics. (Two favorites from last year that I think I bought since my initial posting to this thread.)
    cYVYPBtQjqB2a2030HPV_04.jpg
    N4MrZFrZSua3wJa6OCPq_Taras-Calabria-drachm-050653-coin.jpg

Mandatory gun picture and pet picture (2 in 1)

Only since everybody else posted their guns, I'll post mine.

I'll even let you see me shoot it.

At Flash the Cat.

*pew!* *pew!*

Play dead, Flashie!

20180529_103744.jpg

Flash, as it happens, is extremely talented at playing dead.

(At least until you crinkle some food packaging or open the fridge.)

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, yes -

In the office at my hotel night auditor job, on a night when we had a bacchanalian brat convention wedding party full of drunk hipster twentysomethings in house.

(Whoo, my absolute favorite kind of guests.)

20171028_042222.jpg

On a lighter note, here's me and Baby Josie, on her first vet checkup. (She's Big Huge Almost Grown Josie, now.)

20171117_143953.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted