Ancient Forum's Picture the Poster

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

That little plane.
    So the one I work is just a little bigger :D
    3507577a325544385b95d98b131dfafe.jpg
    A small part of the pkant we call the factory
    20160907_050754.jpg
    All aircraft building comes with their different challenge. I'm often moved when I see a young engineer who truely has a passion for the aircraft. I've met some smoozers in my day.
    Some day we will have to meet @TypeCoin971793 I'm contemplating on another contract in another state. Who knows

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

TypeCoin971793 and Smojo like this.
  4. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

FAA is very strict, especially how these planes are constructed.

The containment belts are suposed to be the best option.
    My present contract is with Gulfstream. I've worked with difficult companies before but GS specs are so tight you're either good at what you do or go to Boeing.
    I've not worked for Honda before but when the contract for that plane was up for bid along with the new GS, companies were all about landing the contracts.
    I want to build fighter jets and am currently looking into a navy contract, it's hopeful or wishful thinking at this time though.

4to2centBC likes this.
  5. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

..so you're an aeronautical engineer?!?!...wow.. i stand on the shoulders of giants...

6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

No, I just build the things.
    I often go head to head with the engineers. They to often think they are always right. When you hands on build a airplane or any aerospace vehicle, tribal knowledge and experience I think you get a better understanding of structure and tolerance than one can achieve with a degree.
    What TypeCoin is going to school for is a little different and I understand his passion, and wish him the best and at his age to me is very respectable.

TypeCoin971793 and gregarious like this.
  7. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I am glad this thread surfaced again. I didn’t know it existed. It started before I became a member, and like most of you, have envisioned what you might look like, but known I would probably not be close. It is great to know and see all of you. It does feel like a brotherhood (for lack of a better word to include all the fine women). You have all been incredibly kind, and gave me great guidance when I’ve had questions.

I’m amazed to see how young most of you are.

I too am a gun collector for many years, but won’t and can’t post a photo of all of them. But if there is a Zombie apocalypse, I will outfit all of you with guns and ammo. And, a previous “Gearhead”, now “Geezerhead” according to some.

Like TIF, as I get older, even though I like to look at beautiful people, I find the beauty within of greater value. Maybe it’s because my “pretty” part has gone away. Ha!

I don’t have an example of an ancient coin that comes close to any of the fine coins that have been posted, or one that looks like me, so I will show the original coin that got me started, which was given to me by Victor Clark. As such, I hold it dearly.

Obv - VRBS ROMA Obv - Roma, helmeted , wearing imperial cloak  Rev She Wolf, Romulus Remus.jpg Rev - VRBS ROMA Obv - Roma, helmeted , wearing imperial cloak  Rev She Wolf, Romulus Remus.jpg

I don’t have many pics of me, at least very recent ones.
    Here I am in the long hair version such as Scotishmoney posted, from many years ago….

long hair.JPG

And a semi-frozen version….. -100° wind chill or colder. Actual temp -60° or so.
    me & 2nd muskox closeup 1.jpg
    That's ice on my mustache and eyebrows by the way.

Thawed version from a few years back…
    Me & Eland - close up.JPG

8. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

well, you are still a giant..and in this case, others fly on your shoulders^^

Smojo likes this.
  9. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Get a seat above the wings :D

gregarious likes this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I am not aware of these being on the aircraft. Does not mean they're not. I have not worked with the engines yet. The engines are positioned next to the baggage compartment, so in the case of an uncontained engine failure, the fragments should not enter the cabin.

As far as other rear-engined aircraft (DC-9 family, DC-10, MD-11, etc), the nacelles and engine casings are designed to contain a turbine shattering and prevent fragments from entering the cabin. In only one case that I know of has an engine failure directly caused a fatality. Others failures have damaged flight control systems (hydraulic lines) or penetrated the cabin without injury (737 this time).

Smojo and 4to2centBC like this.
  11. TypeCoin971793

Co-Oping, so I guess I am working there.

12. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I remember some videos we watched some years ago I was getting certified and took a 2 or 3 week course at the end we were tested for certs. The instructor to lighted everything had several videos pertaining to stuctural airplane disasters and some non fatal (by luck) accidents. Interesting indeed. If I can find any I will send a link.
    I don't deal enough with engines. I'm structure and hydrolics. (And certified speller o_O)
    Thinking of how to keep this coin related but I don't think ancients really go there, sorry all. :angelic:

Deacon Ray and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

I've been studying a lot of these accidents, and I am contemplating trying to work for the NTSB.

Deacon Ray and Smojo like this.
  14. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

OK, I'll bite. I refrain from posting any pix of my (former) gun collection, don't want to show off too much. Ancient coin (Vespasian denarius), ancient picture of me as well. A17-obv.JPG A17-rev.JPG Ed 82 ABN w M79.jpg

dlhill132, randygeki, DBDc80 and 15 others like this.
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

16. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I think it was about 50-75 km south or south west of Saigon, an area we called "The Pineapple", as it was an abandoned pineapple farming area. Taken in about September 1969, during an extended camping trip with the 82nd ABN.

17. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

OK - here's a coin and a very old pic of me.

Crepusia 1 denarius - I think its previous owner sold it as the die number is off the flan - it's certainly in great condition.

[​IMG]

As we had a class reunion last weekend to mark the 28th anniversary of graduation with a BE, this is a suitable old photo' - actually from 1988, pretending to work at a summer job.

[​IMG]

18. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

I was gonna say it looked like Vietnam. Incredible.

19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yeah I was sure it was Vietnam. For the most part of my tour I was in the Delta on a three man MACV team. The scenery is something I will never forget even though some I would like to forget.

coin_nut, Makanudo, Carausius and 2 others like this.
  20. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Aviation, military, etc. I was a Navy airedale. This pic is from the 1991 swap of the Independence and Midway, Pearl Harbor (Midway to be decommissioned and Indy to replace it). Midway is now a museum in San Diego, but the Indy is currently being cut into pieces for scrap. Sad. Independence is on the right, the Arizona Memorial top center.

282280_4245998941789_1402301474_n.jpg

Here's a video of my squadron, VAQ-139 Cougars:

A more recent picture of me, but nearly a decade out of date and with more hair, but wearing a Roman Republican coin necklace (to keep it relevant).

DSCN0301.jpg

21. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I posted earlier in the thread but here's a more recent picture taken out in the mountains about halfway through an 8 mile trail. Trying the beard thing, not sure if I'm gonna keep it just yet.
    WalkerRanchSelfie.jpg

And to keep it coin related:
    Cr57.2Combined.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted